Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

155046-magic_trackpad_desk.jpg

Apple's Magic Trackpad next to MacBook Pro (Source: MacRumors Forums)
Announced earlier today, Apple's Magic TrackPad is already making its way into the hands of reviewers and customers, and a few tidbits of interest have been coming out about the Bluetooth device.

One of the first observations made by purchasers who have been able to get their hands on the device is that it requires a software update to enable full functionality, an update that has just been posted on Apple's site in Mac OS X, Windows 64-bit, and Windows 32 -bit versions.
To use the Trackpad, you need to install a software update that Apple will release later Tuesday. The software update enables full multitouch and gesture customization, including tap-to-touch and program-launching clickzones. Even without the software update, the Trackpad works like a regular non-multitouch trackpad. While Apple geared its full suite of multitouch gestures toward Macs, the Magic Trackpad will perform in its basic functions when paired via Bluetooth to a Windows PC--we tried it.

155046-magic_trackpad_feet.jpg

Underside of Magic Trackpad showing clickable feet (Source: Macworld)
Macworld notes that the trackpad does support a physical click but that it is generated by two feet near the front edge of the bottom of the device rather than with a movable surface on the body of the device.
Despite the Magic Trackpad's thinness and its support for the same tap-to-click feature as MacBook trackpads, you can also click by pressing down. The trackpad surface itself doesn't depress, though--instead, when you press on the trackpad, the force from the surface it's sitting on will depress the two round feet at the trackpad's base. That's what registers a click.
Finally, Engadget reports that the Magic Trackpad comes with an optional new three-finger gesture that allows users to easily drag windows around the screen, a feature not present on trackpads integrated into Apple's current notebook computers.
There's also a new gesture, if you're keeping track -- a three-finger move that lets you drag windows around (very helpful), though you give up the functionality of being to navigate stuff like iPhoto galleries with a swipe (it's an option you can toggle in preferences -- you have a choice).
Apple's Magic Trackpad is priced at $69 and requires two AA batteries, available as part of Apple's new battery charger set also released today.

Article Link: Magic Trackpad Details: Software Update Required, Clicking Feet, and a New Gesture

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
As awesome as it looks, a built-in trackpad, Magic Mouse, AND this external trackpad would be too much for my MBP. :D

AppEzzy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
Looking froward to checking this out. Hopefully the valley fair store has some in today!

RWA MC

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
iPad?

While I can already guess its not going to work....anyone know if it will work with the iPad?

Something tells me know being there is no cursor or anything. Might be useful for the iWork apps though.

OsloBergen

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Program specific gestures?

I haven't heard too much about this yet, does anyone know if there will be program specific gestures? I'm dreaming about new ways to control FCP.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I greatly miss my MBP's trackpad at work, so I've been waiting for this. Hopefully, somebody is going to make a "BetterTouchTool" for Windows.

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
I really don't see this changing the game all that much. I have yet to meet anyone that prefers a track pad to a mouse when both are present options.

Granted, I do love the gestures from the MBP trackpad, but the magic mouse can provide the same actions with MagicPrefs - not to mention the fact that you can set hot-spots on the screen to accomplish the 4-finger swipe action on the trackpad.

Sure, its a cool gadget, but it doesn't seem like any sort of game changer.

iLoveMyApple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2008
Southern California
My iMac runs 10.4.11. Would this work? I know it says 10.6 on the website, but I have the Aluminum Bluetooth Wireless keyboard and it works just fine and Apple's website says it only works with 10.5 or later.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Does anyone know if it allow you to use the gestures in Windows? Like can you do 2 finger scrolling in Safari for Windows? Can you swipe with 3 fingers to go back and forwards a web page using Safari on windows? I hear that its a basic touch pad for Windows using the windows drivers, but Does Apple update give it some capability on Windows?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It appears the software update also enables the gestures on MacBook Pros? Can someone confirm?

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
As a side note, this update added some functionality to older machines. I can't verify precisely what machines, but a friend of mine bought my 2008 15" Unibody MBP a few months ago when I got the most recent 13" model.

Inertial scrolling has been added to these older machines with this update.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Its available in Software update now. I am currently downloading it as we speak. This update will require you to restart your computer. It weighs 78.6 MB, and I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" April 2010 base model. The update may be larger or smaller in size depending on your computer.

Does this mean we can get inertial scrolling now in the mid-2009 MBP's?

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Will it work with Windows at least as a touch mouse? Will it work with iPad in some sort of way?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Interesting. Seems to be less moving parts than the whole surface clicking.

In soviet russia feet clicks you?

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Has anyone mentioned yet that this software is also available for the Macbook Pro ? Just got the update to enable three finger drag gestures :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.