Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DR_K13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
I tunes 9.2.1(5) will not back up my 3GS with 4.0.1 on it. I keep getting

"iTunes could not back up the iphone … because a session could not be started with the iPhone."

I tried fixing permissions, rebooting, etc and so on.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you tried giving them privacy?

I have no idea why it's doing this. Did you update to 4.0.1 from 4.0 or 3.1.3?

DR_K13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
A joke that must not have made it.

Have you tried restarting the iPhone and your Mac? Also try manually changing time on both, then allowing them to automatically adjust the time over the Internet.

Haha, I got the joke right after I hit the reply button.

I tried what you said with no success.

screenshot20100727at608.jpg

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm not sure then. When did the last complete backup preform correctly? Have you done anything new or different to your iPhone within that time frame?

DR_K13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
I'm not sure then. When did the last complete backup preform correctly? Have you done anything new or different to your iPhone within that time frame?

Last good backup was about a week ago. no, nothing new on both ends.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I had this problem when I put a prerelease copy of iOS 4.0 on my wife's 3GS using a prerelease copy of iTunes. Now, weeks later, both her iTunes and her iPhone are at the latest official version but she still has the problem and I never found an answer. I am a bad husband. I was planning to do a clean restore of her iPhone and see if that helped.

DR_K13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
I had this problem when I put a prerelease copy of iOS 4.0 on my wife's 3GS using a prerelease copy of iTunes. Now, weeks later, both her iTunes and her iPhone are at the latest official version but she still has the problem and I never found an answer. I am a bad husband. I was planning to do a clean restore of her iPhone and see if that helped.

I can't even manually back up the phone. I was going to try and restore but I would lose a ton of new contacts and info.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
...I am a bad husband...

We could ask the bed if that's true.

I can't even manually back up the phone. I was going to try and restore but I would lose a ton of new contacts and info.

If it syncs your contacts and calendars. You won't lose that. You will lose all texts, settings, and app data that has changed from the last backup that worked.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

Or bump. :)

Found this solution from Apple:

1) Go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices
2) In the "Device Backups" window select your last backup on that device. If you have other iPhones they will show up as well...so choose the device your having issues with.
3) When you've selected the correct device and the last backup the button that says "Delete Backup" will darken. Click it.
4) Go thru and say "OK" when prompted.
5) Go back into your iTunes app window and **right click** on your device that is having back up issues.
6) In the pop up window choose "Backup".

If you really don't want to lose your backup in case the above doesn't work, you can make a copy of your backup folder found in /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and put it in a safe place.

Another solution is to uninstall and reinstall iTunes.

DR_K13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Or bump. :)

Found this solution from Apple:

1) Go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices
2) In the "Device Backups" window select your last backup on that device. If you have other iPhones they will show up as well...so choose the device your having issues with.
3) When you've selected the correct device and the last backup the button that says "Delete Backup" will darken. Click it.
4) Go thru and say "OK" when prompted.
5) Go back into your iTunes app window and **right click** on your device that is having back up issues.
6) In the pop up window choose "Backup".

If you really don't want to lose your backup in case the above doesn't work, you can make a copy of your backup folder found in /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and put it in a safe place.

Another solution is to uninstall and reinstall iTunes.

Tried all that. Didnt work

DR_K13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Do a DFU restore then. It’s a last resort, but you need to be able to backup. Make sure you sync as much as you can thru iTunes.

Thats the thing, I cant back up. I will loose everything

DR_K13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Read the last part of what I wrote “make sure you sync….” If you sync everything you can, then restoring will be relatively painless. If you’re worried about losing music, then use expod, which is free.

So just use the restore button?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
So just use the restore button?

Yes, or if you want the cleanest install possible you could restore in DFU mode (see my sig for a link). Whatever you do, make sure you’ve synced, because after restoring that is the only way to get back your stuff. I also suggest syncing your contacts online as a kind of double protection (I’ve used Funambol, but you can use GMail as well).

annetil

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Found a solution without restoring

Try the apple solution : didn't work.
On itunes : when clicking on my ipad, summary, options I checked encrypt ipad backup, added a password and could create a back up
Now it sync/back up without problem.

klajdialbania

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
i had the same problem and i risolved it

you just have to change time zone in your computer ... i did mine and i changed in to central america. and back up works perfectly.

dwood3

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Here's What Worked for Me

I had the same issue. Deleting the backups in iTunes wasn't enough for me. Here's everything I did that worked.

Go into iTunes, preferences, Devices, delete all the backups.
Go into Finder, user, Library, Application Support, Mobilesync, backups, delete all the folders in there.
Empty trash can.
Restart computer.
Hard reset iPhone (hold down home button and sleep/wake button for 10-15 seconds)

You shouldn't lose any data at all with this method. When everything booted up, it backed up with no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.