Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider has posted screen shots of Mail.app 2.0 in the most recent developer release (8A27x) of Tiger. In a blend of the two current themes available (Aqua & Brushed Metal) a platinum interface theme has emerged, with a smooth gradation of color in the menu bars. Other Mail 2.0 features are parental controls for filtering display of content on a per-application basis, iCal integration, and the ability to read email certificates. A single-window interface has also been implemented, doing away with the retractable mailbox drawer, and circular count badges are being used to show unread message counts within mailbox folders.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
It looks allright in the screenshot..but I'm sure its much better when you see it in person. I personally love the current look of panther. Heck, anything Apple comes out with is always beautiful

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
i think it's a definite improvement over aqua and brushed metal. cleaner, sleaker and cooler. matches the feel (if not also the look) of the aluminum enclosures and the new imac. hopefully apple has the balls to implement it across the board for tiger.

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
Ok...I'm sorry...but the first thing that came to mind when seeing the image was "Windows".

Peter9

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
looks a little plain to me, i dunno. i didn't like brushed steel right away either, so it's hard to say.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Not sure I like the docked folders on the left. I'd prefer to be able to put them on either side. Also, does the folder list get a vertical scroll bar when the list is too long to display? That would take up some of the space occupied by the message counts.

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
Upon closer inspection, I don't like it. I really don't know why, but I just don't like it. It seems really flat, and it just looks like Windows. Maybe I'll come to like it, I don't know, but I prefer brushed metal.

Or give us an option!

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
As a mail user I am all for apple adding themes to apps and maybe updating and adding more colors to os x. All good move keep it up apple. :cool:

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I like it

I use Mail everyday and it will be nice to see a change happen in the visual design of it. I don't plan on using the parental controls, but I don't use ever feature of every program anyway.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Me like. I can't wait until Tiger will be released. The screenshots I saw had potential ... I know it will just get better.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
darn first post considered spam :(

well the theme looks really nice. Just the overall look of the whole OS is lookin' just amazing. i can't wait for this sucker to come out. it just looks neato :D

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Give me Mail 2.0 NOW.

A downloads folder? No stupid-looking drawer? And the look is absolutely amazing.

.narco

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I loathe brushed metal so anything is a definite improvement and I like the look of the theme. However, I hope Tiger is theme consistant, unlike Panther - Aqua, Brushed metal. Almost as bad as Linux - KDE, GTK, Motif themes / looks etc etc...

Looking at the Mail screenshots, there is too much wasted space at the top of the window - title bar area, just like there is wasted space in the Finder Windows in Panther. Don't like that.

Also, I like the side bars.. means more real estate if I wish.. removal of side Bars is a definite negative imo.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
If this is a stab at a new appearance (everywhere) for the textured flag, then yay. If it's a third "standard" look, make it go away. Now.

If it's just shoving bitmaps in the usual way, why? It's true that Mail has been a drab-looking program, but yeesh, it's . . . mail.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Natron said:
Ok...I'm sorry...but the first thing that came to mind when seeing the image was "Windows".

I muttered this to myself when I saw the pics too. What's with all the different colors of grey there? Strange.

Personally I think the current Mail is fine ... could use an update, sure, but this isn't how I would have chosen to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.