Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MC1220

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I went to my local store today because I didn't think my computer was sleeping when the lid was open. The Genius told me that when the lid is open and the computer goes to sleep, the sleep indicator light is solid, not pulsing. Is this correct?

I also thought that when the computer is sleeping with the lid open, it will only wake on a trackpad click or pressing a key, but the Genius told me that it will also wake from movement on the trackpad (not clicking, just swiping my fingers across). Is this true? I still suspect that my computer wasn't actually sleeping, even though he told me that it was.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
No, I think that if the screen turns off ("display sleep" in the settings pane) then the light is solid. Basically the computer is on, the screen is off.

If its sleeping regardless open/close, it pulses.

MC1220

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
That's what I thought... I'm a new Mac user though so I didn't want to argue with the "Genius." I guess I'll just download PleaseSleep so that my MBP will sleep with the lid open. Thanks!

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
That's what I thought... I'm a new Mac user though so I didn't want to argue with the "Genius." I guess I'll just download PleaseSleep so that my MBP will sleep with the lid open. Thanks!

Don't know what PleaseSleep is, but, if you set the power parameters to sleep after X minutes of inactivity, it will sleep with the lid open.

MC1220

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks RedRaven. Unfortunately, the reason I visited the Genius Bar in the first place because my MBP isn't sleeping with the lid open despite the Energy Saver settings.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Well, you can either go into the apple menu and select "sleep" or go back to the genius bad and tell the dude that it doesn't sleep. ever. when the lid is open.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
No. When the computer is sleeping, the light will pulse. Regardless if you chose sleep from the :apple: menu, or close the lid, when the computer is really asleep, the light gently pulses. :D If the display is off, but the light is solidly lit, then the display is sleeping, and swiping on the trackpad will wake it up. When the Mac is actualy sleeping (pulsing light) you can wake it up by opening the lid (if it was closed) pressing any key on the keyboard, clicking the mouse (swiping or touching will not wake it up), or pressing the power button.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Thanks RedRaven. Unfortunately, the reason I visited the Genius Bar in the first place because my MBP isn't sleeping with the lid open despite the Energy Saver settings.

Go to the Energy Saver options and make sure that "Wake for network access" is NOT checked and "Put the hard drive to sleep when possible" is checked. (and of course that Computer Sleep and Display Sleep are set at a short time interval like 5-15 minutes or at least not set to 'Never')

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I think this is actually a pretty common problem with the 2010 Macbook Pros... at least mine has this problem too. It will not sleep with the lid open. The display sleeps, but the computer stays awake, even if I have set it to go to sleep after 1 minute, for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.