Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
According to engadget, bestbuy is offering free invisible shield to iphone 4 customers to users who are frustrated by antenna issue. Regardless of whether you have this issue or not, this would be a good protection for your iphone 4. It most likely be free as well. I don't know if this will be offered to every single iphone 4 users, but have any of you went to bestbuy and tried this yet?

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
IS is a horrible product IMO

Plus you can still get a bumper for free if you got your phone at BB. Why bother?

RodChester

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Not too bad. I'll head to my local BB later this afternoon and see if I can get one put on my phone. I already have a bumper but this will do some good to help protect the steel from getting any scratches from debris that manages to get under it.

lg2k7

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Indiana
Just to clarify for you guys it's a sideshield not front or full body invisishield for people that don't bother to look at the engadget article

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Anyone know if this invisible shield 4fix will actually solve the attenuation problem? Is it a new design different than the side strips Zagg offers in other protection packages? I've read elsewhere that using invisible shield's side strips doesn't completely cover all of the metal on the antenna, making it still possible for your hand to bridge the gap.

Still, no complaints here for something free. I'm just wondering whether or not to waste time and head over to best buy today.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
yes it is sides only it is 7 little pieces that you install around the entire edge of the phone. Looks like a bigger pain than it is worth, although if you bought it at best buy they will install it for free.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Anyone know if this invisible shield 4fix will actually solve the attenuation problem? Is it a new design different than the side strips Zagg offers in other protection packages? I've read elsewhere that using invisible shield's side strips doesn't completely cover all of the metal on the antenna, making it still possible for your hand to bridge the gap.

Still, no complaints here for something free. I'm just wondering whether or not to waste time and head over to best buy today.
Look at the illustration. It covers the entire band on the left side - completely over the antenna gap.

As for wasting your time, it's free. If it doesn't work, tear it off and throw it away.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
my local BB doesn't have them. Said to go to another store if I really want it. I guess they expect them on Friday...

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Got it today! Went to Best Buy, they only wanted to see my iPhone first to see if it was the 4. Didn't ask anything else. Salesman was kinda bleh..

Here's pics:

photo-2-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Look at the illustration. It covers the entire band on the left side - completely over the antenna gap.

As for wasting your time, it's free. If it doesn't work, tear it off and throw it away.

I can see the illustration. Thanks. Some posts over on engadget express how the shield doesn't completely cover the width of the band, hence why I'm asking if this 4fix is somehow different.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Got it today! Went to Best Buy, they only wanted to see my iPhone first to see if it was the 4. Didn't ask anything else. Salesman was kinda bleh..

Here's pics:

photo-2-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Please let us know how the install goes and if you still have any attenuation problems.

mokeiko

RodChester

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Well I got my skin this evening at my local BB. The lady asked if I got my phone from them and I went ahead and told her yes. She then went ahead and rang it up. I didn't get the application spray. Just the little packet with the skin.

The skin looks OK. Not something I would really want on my phone but since I have a bumper I can't see it at all. The best thing about it is that before I had the skin on my phone my bumper wiggled a bit, but with the skin it stays tightly in place. Also, you can't beat free.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Just wanted to comment on how this is working out for me. It does NOT completely cover the stainless steel. A very small amount is still visible.

If you do the death grip on the left hand it drops to 1 bar. If I rest my finger on the weak point it drops to 2 bars... so basically I am right handed and it protects against the fingers resting on the edge but I am really still not happy with the results...

My wife has hers in a case and i the death grip only drops 1 bar (4 to 3 in my area). Is there anything else we can try that does not involve a full case? I am so reluctant to put a case on this thing and add that extra bulk and hide the beauty.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Went to my local best buy tonight (Palisades NY) and went over to the Best Buy Mobile section...asked the guy there about the promo, and he didnt even ask if I bought the phone there...the offer extends to Rewards Zone members too, and I'm a Silver member so it wasnt a problem....

only problem was the guy was new, and it was his first IS install...so needless to say it didnt go so smoothly, he didnt use any of the applicator solution and its not on straight at all and its not lined up and its all nicked where he tried to peel it off the packaging...I'm going to go back in the morning and get another kit and do it myself, I got a receipt and he said to come back if i had any issues...

The best part? They didnt have any install instructions, luckily I printed out that handout engadget posted and I brought it to the store...if he would have told me before hand that he never done it before, I would have took it home and did it myself.

Is there anything else we can try that does not involve a full case? I am so reluctant to put a case on this thing and add that extra bulk and hide the beauty.
I have a smoke TPU silicone case...works nicely, doesnt add much bulk at all, makes it comfortable in my hand, they have it in clear too so it shouldnt hide much of the phone, only costs ~$10

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-iPhon...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280378983&sr=8-7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.