Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Here’s a quick review of a cheap Monoprice case for the Ipad.

I already have a Power Support screen protector on my Ipad but wanted something that would protect the back and sides (perhaps even adding a bit of grip for reading). I found quite a few covers (Griffen, Belkin, etc.) but didn’t want to spend $20-$30. So, I decided to order a couple Monoprice cases and, at $5.22 each, figured I had little to lose.

I ordered a clear case and a glossy black version and I’m very impressed by both.

PROS:
+ Inexpensive.

+ Perfect fit. The edges wrap around the Ipad and cover a few millimeters of glass (overlapping my screen protector) and protect all exposed aluminum and the rubber seal. Back of Ipad cover is properly tapered and wraps around the back perfectly. Case doesn’t slide around, edges sit firmly around glass, etc.

+ No odor. Some of the cheaper cases tend to have a very strong plastic smell. These have none.

+ Perfect port alignment. All openings are well sized and accurately-placed. Power button and volume rocker are completely covered but the plastic does not prohibit use.

+ Very nice texture. Slightly glossy but not sticky. Clear model is perfectly transparent.

CONS:

- Pretty basic look, not very “sexy”.

- Port openings, while accurate, are not precision cut (you may find a little tab of plastic hanging off that you can remove).

magbyq.jpg

iyg83n.jpg

qqpod0.jpg

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10843&cs_id=1084301&p_id=6929&seq=1&format=2

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Shipping for 2 cases was $5 to Canada. I ordered a couple mini display port-to-HDMI adapters as well so my overall shipping was higher. I usually do fairly large monoprice orders to make the shipping costs worthwhile.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Would you mind posting some pics of the glossy black case? I'm trying to decide between the black and the smoke.

Thanks!

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Looks nicer than you would expect for $5. I might have to pick one of those up. I love monoprice.

vivarey

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for the review. I'm a fan of Monoprice. It looks like the power and volume rocker is covered by plastic -- how difficult is it to press those buttons?

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I got some of these a while back, buttons work fine. They are as nice as the pricey $30-50 name brand ones imo.
I like the smoke better than the clear, smoke is darker but actually clearer, less opaque, than the clear one, which is frostier. Hmm, the posters picture of the clear one looks clearer than the clear i got. I'll have to recheck, I mostly used the smoke one.

Best case deal I have found, for a tup plastic one.

vivarey

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks guys, I ordered the Smoke color. I was about to buy the $50 Belkin case, so not much to lose if I don't like this one. :)

OriginalNerd

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Considering they are $5 I bought the clear and the smoke. Awesome deal. Thanks for the heads up. I ordered it last night and they already shipped it today. Love monoprice.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Thanks for the review. I'm a fan of Monoprice. It looks like the power and volume rocker is covered by plastic -- how difficult is it to press those buttons?

Zoom in a lot on the top of the second picture. You'll see there is an opening so they are not covered. Of course I could be wrong.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Yes I had a belkin grip vue (orig $50) I got in an ipad deal and resold, very little difference except for an ugly belkin logo on it.. people are crazy! to pay more than $20 or any ipad plastic case.

the vol buttons are exposed on these. I bought 4 of these about a month ago.
My clear one looks frosty so maybe they changed formula, I would have preferred a crystal clear. smoke is clearer as I said. oh I see they are out of clear and black.

but you can't lose with these. and you might as well buy some cables too, I did.

hoffmant

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
Great to see this positive review. I needed a car charger and threw a couple of these into my order on a whim. For $5, I was hoping they'd be ok. I'm glad you like them and can't wait to get them now.

Thanks!

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for posting the review. I just got my iPad and I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want for a case(s) :)eek: I never thought it would be so hard!) and I wasn't even aware of these. I'm definitely going to order one (or maybe more, considering the price) because it seems silly to pay so much more for other cases.

Has anyone tried the silicone cases from Monoprice? I'm kind of interested in the ones with the circle and/or puzzle pattern but they dont' have any pictures and I'm just curious what they look like.

Also, has anyone ordered the green yet? I kind of want to get all three colors, clear and black (so I'm covered for all situations :cool: ) but they show the blue one under the green item and I was just curious what the green looked like.

Thanks again!

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Yes I had a belkin grip vue (orig $50) I got in an ipad deal and resold, very little difference except for an ugly belkin logo on it.. people are crazy! to pay more than $20 or any ipad plastic case.

the vol buttons are exposed on these. I bought 4 of these about a month ago.
My clear one looks frosty so maybe they changed formula, I would have preferred a crystal clear. smoke is clearer as I said. oh I see they are out of clear and black.

but you can't lose with these. and you might as well buy some cables too, I did.

The volume rocker and power switch are covered on mine.
http://yfrog.com/07img00184201007262105j

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Great to see this positive review. I needed a car charger and threw a couple of these into my order on a whim. For $5, I was hoping they'd be ok. I'm glad you like them and can't wait to get them now.

Thanks!

Not sure what charger you needed, but I don't think they sell a true full power charger for the ipad, just the slower ipod designed ones.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Not really interested in the case, but I will say that monoprice.com is definitely one of the best online sites to shop from.

From my past experiences, the price and quality of their products as well as their customer service are excellent.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Got two in the mail yesterday. I like them. They fit well and have a nice feel. Better than grippy silicone, which I have avoided because of the feel. I will switch between this and my macally case. I imagine the glossy back will dull over time but for this price there is nothing to complain about. Quite a deal.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I got one the other day and I am quite pleased for $5. I have the Apple case (which I love) but for 5 bucks, this is a great deal.

OriginalNerd

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Just received my shipment and I have to say that I am completely impressed. Very nice case. The openings are cut perfectly and it fits just right. This does not feel like a $5 case but a much more expensive one. I am extremely happy with this purchase.

Thanks again for the heads up on this.

aznkrnboi9

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Good

Hey guys. Just got my pink mono price case. It is actually a perfect fit and have that nice glossy feel to it. I like it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.