Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I currently cannot configure my Linksys router because Linksys designed the stupid thing such that you have to use a Windows-only CD to get to the web interface, and I don't know what I did with the CD. I tried setting up the AirPort Extreme base station I have as our network's router, but my dad's VPN connection doesn't work when I do that. Any ideas on what I should do here? I'd like to eliminate the Linksys router and just use the AEBS, but the conundrum I face is getting it to play well with the Windows PCs on the home network.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
wrldwzrd89 said:
I currently cannot configure my Linksys router because Linksys designed the stupid thing such that you have to use a Windows-only CD to get to the web interface, and I don't know what I did with the CD. I tried setting up the AirPort Extreme base station I have as our network's router, but my dad's VPN connection doesn't work when I do that. Any ideas on what I should do here? I'd like to eliminate the Linksys router and just use the AEBS, but the conundrum I face is getting it to play well with the Windows PCs on the home network.

Are you positive yours can only be configured via the software on the CD?

The one I bought can be configured by plugging directly into it and pointing any
web browser to its I.P.

For the life of me I can't think of it, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

I know it's a 192.168..... number. If anything you could set your I.P. to 192.168.1.100
with a mask of 255.255.0.0. After that run tcpdump -i eth0 (for example) and
figure out what I.P. the router is. You should see a lot of broadcasting going on from it.

Let me know if you want more help!

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
Come to think of it, it probably runs its dhcp server by default.

Just plug into it (or use wireless) and then go to network in Sys Pref and see what I.P.
the dhcp server is.

When you know that, just point Safari to it!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
assuming it's still set up for its default values, you can get to the linksys router via a browser w/ this IP: http://192.168.1.1/

the default username is blank, the default password is: admin

if it's not set to the defaults, you can reset it w/ a paperclip.

remember to change your router password ASAP. or, short of that, post your router WAN address so we can all muck about w/ your settings :)

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
zimv20 said:
assuming it's still set up for its default values, you can get to the linksys router via a browser w/ this IP: http://192.168.1.1/

if it's not set to the defaults, you can reset it w/ a paperclip.

remember to change your router password ASAP. or, short of that, post your router WAN address so we can all muck about w/ your settings :)

By default, though, it blocks WAN requests. So the password isn't actually
that big of a deal, unless you don't trust the people you live with!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
zimv20 said:

On some earlier models it was vice versa, but like zim says. Reset the little bugger and then connect your computer to one of its wired ports and hit that url.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
monkeydo_jb said:
Are you positive yours can only be configured via the software on the CD?

The one I bought can be configured by plugging directly into it and pointing any
web browser to its I.P.

For the life of me I can't think of it, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

I know it's a 192.168..... number. If anything you could set your I.P. to 192.168.1.100
with a mask of 255.255.0.0. After that run tcpdump -i eth0 (for example) and
figure out what I.P. the router is. You should see a lot of broadcasting going on from it.

Let me know if you want more help!
Only problem is that I don't know the router's IP address - would tcpdump help me find it? Or could I use traceroute instead and look at the first line of output?

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
wrldwzrd89 said:
Only problem is that I don't know the router's IP address - would tcpdump help me find it? Or could I use traceroute instead and look at the first line of output?

Yeah, tcpdump will spit out everything that is broadcasted on your network.

The info you'll be interested in is your router announcing itself as a dhcp server.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
wrldwzrd89 said:
Firmware updates to the Linksys routers can't be done on a Mac 'cause the things are distributed as .exe files. Stupid Linksys.

You don't have to use the .exe method. You can also upload your firmware fixes using the admin panel from any OS.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
kingjr3 said:
You don't have to use the .exe method. You can also upload your firmware fixes using the admin panel from any OS.
Until I figure out how to get to the admin panel, firmware updates are as good as useless to me. Hopefully I'll sort it out later when I return to my Mac and resume posting in this thread.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
Here's what kingjr3 is talking about, in regards to the firmware.

You'll download a .zip on linksys' site and it will have a .bin you'll use.

Attachments

• linksys.JPG
    linksys.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 62
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.