Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elskeptico

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2004
I'm about to undertake a clean install of Panther. I recently got a new digital camera and will undoubtedly be loading up my hard drive with digital pictures. Should I create a separate partition for this purpose? I already have my iTunes music on another drive completely. I've heard you should isolate the part of the drive used for the OS.
Thanks!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
elskeptico said:
I'm about to undertake a clean install of Panther. I recently got a new digital camera and will undoubtedly be loading up my hard drive with digital pictures. Should I create a separate partition for this purpose? I already have my iTunes music on another drive completely. I've heard you should isolate the part of the drive used for the OS.
Thanks!
I wouldn't bother, although JFreak might say otherwise. If you're going to be using iPhoto, it might get confused about where its library is located if you try to put it on another drive. I have no iPhoto experience, so don't quote me on that. Other programs I cannot comment on as I have no experience with them either.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I use two partitions. Well, actually they are two separate hard drives.

One for system and applications
One for all my documents, iTunes Music, iPhoto Library, and other non-app crap.

No need to get partition happy for each iApplication and my only reason is so I can upgrade/reinstall OS X - if needed, and not affect my documents. Also makes backing up documents that much easier.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
wat is partitioning or partitioning a hard drive exactly mean . u do that in disk utilities right

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Espnetboy3 said:
wat is partitioning or partitioning a hard drive exactly mean . u do that in disk utilities right
Yes, you perform a partition operation in Disk Utility. However, there isn't a way to partition non-destructively in Mac OS X right now, so if you do decide to partition, your disk will be formatted and you'll lose anything not backed up. Partitioning divides a physical hard disk into several smaller logical disks. The combined size of all partitions and the partition table will roughly equal the size of the same disk with just one partition.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
so i have a lacie drive and my regular hd , those are the only two drives i could partition , but if i choose to everything will be deleted on it right or can u partition other stuff, also wat is the benefit of doin this . thanks

elskeptico

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2004
alright, no partition is the way I went...

BUT after I re-install the OS, I want to restore my iPhoto, iTunes etc. libraries. Can I simply copy over my whole home directory folder into 'users'?

Is it that simple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.