Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bclizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
i was going to put in app section, but there are no quality apps that i found for doing this.

does anyone know how to send a sms message at a scheduled time? ie a happy birthday at 12am to someone?

i tried textlater - and when the person recieves the text it comes from a 000-0001 number, kinda defeats the purpose.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
You can have your iPhone text yourself with the Calendar app, and then forward the text when it does so :p

caige

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Yes, there an app called "textlater" that allows you to schedule text messages. I use it all the time and usually just to send myself reminders.

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sure it's possible for a developer to create such an app that uses your actual phone number via the SMS app. I'd imagine you would have to be jailbroken though...

Reactions: Hallilkat3

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Bit of an old thread that was bumped, but just use google calendar to do it. You can set texts as notifications for any event.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA

ferganer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
any apps that do this that are current and actually have ratings in the app store?

There are apps on Android called Future SMS and SMS Scheduler. You might want to check if there is an iOS version (sorry don't have an iPhone yet, so can't check)

br3nt

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I'm using autoMessage for iPhone, pretty useful for automatic and repetitive SMS.

Apple Store Link

Almost completely and utterly useless.
The only thing different than the iOS 6+ built in "Reminders" or "Calendar" app is that it opens upp the message application with the text and a pre-populated "To:" field when the deadline is met.

Don't think we'll see a scheduled text message app within ios7 if not jailbroken.
One feature i really miss from my old windows mobile

neen1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
Almost completely and utterly useless.
The only thing different than the iOS 6+ built in "Reminders" or "Calendar" app is that it opens upp the message application with the text and a pre-populated "To:" field when the deadline is met.

Don't think we'll see a scheduled text message app within ios7 if not jailbroken.
One feature i really miss from my old windows mobile

True, but Apploe & Android do not allow to send text messages without taping the "Send"-Button, so this kind of app is the only solution to have something similar like an automatic scheduled text message.

And this also will not change for sure.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Here I was thinking texting was impersonal, and you people even want to automate THAT?

This world isn't going anywhere "in a hand basket"... it's already THERE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.