Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
London
Hey, my iphone 16gb 3gs has started to have a problem.
when i am in apps/sending an email/ in settings changing wallpaper or internet settings it keeps going back to the home screen. i have tried turning the phone off and back on but the problem still persists.

i have had a look around the net and people are sying to plug it to itunes and reset to factory deafaults.

if i do this will i loose my jailbreak? or will my firmware change to the newest??

lewys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
London
when i loose the JB is it as simple as plugging it back into the computer and running spirit again like i did the first time?

will it still be on the same firmware as it is now as i dont want to upgrade

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
If you have your 3.1.3 SHSH on file in Cydia, then you can restore to 3.1.3 using Saurik's method. If you do not, then you will not be able to restore to anything but 4.0.1 and will lose your jailbreak until the new tool is released.

lewys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
London
If you have your 3.1.3 SHSH on file in Cydia, then you can restore to 3.1.3 using Saurik's method. If you do not, then you will not be able to restore to anything but 4.0.1 and will lose your jailbreak until the new tool is released.

i have 3.1.3 saved to my computer, im not sure if i have them on cydia.
cn i use the one on my computer? if so how?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
i have 3.1.3 saved to my computer, im not sure if i have them on cydia.
cn i use the one on my computer? if so how?

Yes, you will need to use TinyUmbrella to act as your signature server. Do the following before you try to restore:

1) Download, extract to HD, and open the latest version of TinyUmbrella.
2) Drag and drop your old SHSH file onto the TinyUmbrella Window.
3) Click "Start TSS Server."

Then shift- or option-restore as usual. When you are done, don't forget to turn off the TSS server by clicking "Stop TSS Server" in TinyUmbrella.

While you're at it, be sure to get the most recent SHSH on file, too.

lewys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
London
i just realised that my shsh are on my other computer that isnt with me atm

could i just use tinyumbrella and click on save my shsh and use that or doesnt it work like that?

also i dont want to mess this up, is this easy enough to do. i havnt done this before see and i would just be following your instructions

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
i just realised that my shsh are on my other computer that isnt with me atm

could i just use tinyumbrella and click on save my shsh and use that or doesnt it work like that?

also i dont want to mess this up, is this easy enough to do. i havnt done this before see and i would just be following your instructions

As long as they are saved on Saurik's server (Cydia), you can use any computer. Modify the host's file to point to Saurik's server instead of Apple.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

You can go to advanced settings in TinyUmbrella and try to download your SHSH from the Cydia server. If that works, you're set. But if it doesn't you will have to wait and use your local copy.

Just make sure you hold down shift (Win) or option (Mac) when you click restore. That will allow you to choose the older firmware instead of restoring to the latest one. If you no longer have the 3.1.3 firmware, you can download it from here. Do not restore to 4.0.1.

lewys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
London
one more thing, i just checked cydia on my iphone and it says

this device has shsh on file for iphone os/ios: 3.1.3, 4.0

can i use umbrella and click
advanced options
change device version to phone 3gs 3.1.3
request from cydia
then click start tss sever
and then go to i tunes and do what you said to restore?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
one more thing, i just checked cydia on my iphone and it says

this device has shsh on file for iphone os/ios: 3.1.3, 4.0

In that case you do not even need TinyUmbrella. You can just edit your hosts file as instructed here.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then just use TinyUmbrella to download it from Cydia (check "Advanced Options" and choose the iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 from the Device/Version dropdown). You can then follow my instructions above for using TinyTSS to serve the signature.

lewys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
London
In that case you do not even need TinyUmbrella. You can just edit your hosts file as instructed here.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then just use TinyUmbrella to download it from Cydia (check "Advanced Options" and choose the iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 from the Device/Version dropdown). You can then follow my instructions above for using TinyTSS to serve the signature.

yeah i dont really understand the other way of doing it, it seems easier to do it with TU

do i need to put it into dfu or recovery mode first?

lewys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
London
thanks alot for all the help guys, i just have one last question.

After i click on restor while holding the option key it asks me then to select a file. since i am using TU and getting them form cydia what do i do?

sorry if the answer is obvious, i have never restored before

EDIT
when doing it the way i am do i need to edit the host file?

lewys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
London
ok this is what i have done and it came back saying unknown error

i downloaded the 3.1.3 firmware that you linked to and tinyumbrella

i connect my phone to the mac and itunes opens
i open TU and under advanced i click my version and cydia
i then click start tss server
i go to itunes then option click on restore
then it says to search the mac for firmware and i click on the one i just downloaded
then it says click and restore and verify with itunes
i click restore and it says it couldnt be restored an unknown error occured (3002)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
You didn't say that you actually clicked Get SHSH. Did you, and what was the result in the log at the bottom of the screen? Maybe even copy and paste it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.