Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

molson2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Hi, I just noticed today that the battery in my white MacBook is starting to bulge. It's about 2.5 years old and was bought in February 2007. I don't really use my MacBook on its battery too much, and it's only gone through 102 charge cycles. Obviously, I'm way out of my warranty, but I was wondering does Apple replace defecting or bulging batteries free of charge? Or do I have to pay full price for a replacement?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi, I just noticed today that the battery in my white MacBook is starting to bulge. It's about 2.5 years old and was bought in February 2007. I don't really use my MacBook on its battery too much, and it's only gone through 102 charge cycles. Obviously, I'm way out of my warranty, but I was wondering does Apple replace defecting or bulging batteries free of charge? Or do I have to pay full price for a replacement?

I think you should really go to Apple instead. I might guess bulging batteries are supposed to be covered with in warranty, but I may be wrong.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
To an Apple Store with thee!!

The batteries are still covered I believe as part of the recall/prevention efforts after the debacle a couple years ago.

molson2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
To an Apple Store with thee!!

The batteries are still covered I believe as part of the recall/prevention efforts after the debacle a couple years ago.

Thanks! I went to the Apple Store today, showed them my bulging battery, and they replaced it free of charge! I didn't even need an appointment, I was in and out in under 5 minutes

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Same deal here. I have an original macbook that the battery has expanded in the last month to the point where the computer won't sit even on a flat surface.

Called Applecare and within 10 minutes had a new battery on the way.

couveinks

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009
White Macbook Battery Bulge

dude, what did you say to the apple store people? should i just bring my macbook there and let them see the bulge? i bought this macbook on april 2008. i know my warrant has already expired. but can i get a replacement for free?

soulcurrent

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
I'm happy I found this post. I just noticed mine was doing the same thing. Purchased in Jan 2007. I'll take it to the Apple store tomorrow.

Disarm

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2009

I think it is just happy to see you, just give it a few compliments and it should help ;)

lannybroo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
Chicago, IL
Success at Apple Store

I went to the Apple Store at the local mall and showed them my bulging battery and explained how it was making my trackpad behave irregularly. Even though I am way beyond my warranty (I purchased this Macbook in 2006 and today is 11-Feb-2010), they replaced my battery for no charge. I did not have a "Genius Bar" appointment but they still got me in within 5 minutes. They were very helpful and cited "safety reasons" for replacing the battery at no charge.

Great experience. I highly recommend going to an Apple Store if you have this problem.

sejtam

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
Not in SG

Here in SG they just refused this to me, with a macbook that was purchased in June 2006 and thus is just half a year out of warranty.
They claim no recall program, it's not their problem. I spoke to their customer service in AU and all they offered is SGD 45 off an SGD 232 replacement battery.

heliockjent

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Hello molson2k.
I faced same problem like you had but I also went to the Apple store within half hour they Apple replace defecting or bulging batteries free of charge.
I think they care of their customer.

absolut4

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
Bulging battery in SF

I'm having same issue with my MacBook battery. Took it to the Apple store today and the was told I'd need a GB appt. I sense the run around coming...

Got one for tomorrow, and I hope I get the same consideration you guys received. Fingers crossed.

absolut4

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
Apple store in SF, rocks!

Showed battery to the the genius and it was replaced immediately. Batteries don't expand, it's defective.

Also was informed that they would fix my cracked case free of charge.

Great day to be an Apple customer.

macuser1000

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
My bulging Apple battery is deemed, "Normal"

I took my AppleCare covered '07 MacBook in to an Apple store for a broken disk drive yesterday, and as an aside, pointed out that the trackpad button "bounce" (inconsistent clicking). The Apple Genius said it was the (bulging) battery. I didn't even know the battery was bulging until he demonstrated. I asked, "Isn't the battery covered", Nope.

So I called Apple telephone support (while the MacBook is in for repair) today and explained my situation and was told:
"Lithium-ion batteries expand towards the end of their lifecycle and it is normal for them to do that." (Exact quote).

The below are paraphrased as I couldn't type fast enough:

Q (me): What is considered the end of its lifecycle?"
A (Apple): I can't tell you. It depends.

(Mine is slightly over 300 cycles).

I asked, "Isn't this a fire hazard?".
The telephone support guy said, "The battery cannot cause a fire."

He then claimed I was rude (after I questioned how he could be so definitive that the battery couldn't cause a fire) and then hung up on me after I asked to be referred to the next level of support. The Apple store Genius guy was at least not rude.

I'm not suggesting you stop buying Apple products, but I think it's worth noting that Apple's warranty means whatever Apple wants it to mean, so if you rely on Apple to fix all (regular use) problems under warranty, well, think again.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Since it's still covered by Apple Care and thus within the 3 years, I'd keep trying to get it replaced for free. They should at least work for three years, and if not, that's Apple's problem.

The battery in my black MacBook is also bulging, but I didn't buy Apple Care, and it's older than 3 years. Called Apple, about the same story. Happens when they're getting old, not much you can do about it. They didn't want to replace it for free because it is out of warranty by now, but from what I understood they would have if it was less than 3 y/o.

I ordered a new one from the Apple Store myself though. Don't want the thing to mess up something internally or start leaking or exploding. Not all that cheap, but at least it'll buy me a few more years of good use out of this machine.

macuser1000

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
UPDATE: My bulging Apple battery is deemed, "Normal"

I explained my case when I went to go pick up the unit and the Apple store Genius came through and took care of the battery. Problem solved.

bluescout

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys,

I was searching about batteries and found your forum. I recently bought an orig white macbook 2.0g MA255LL/A and the battery is bulged and dead. Apple will replace it? Should I bring the whole laptop to them or just the battery? What should I say? I know sometimes there's a specific way of presenting an issue...

drjinx

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Me too. I got it resolved ... eventually.

Hi,

I first noticed my battery was bulging on Friday, Sept 3, 2010. I called Apple Care on Saturday. The representative tried to convince me this was normal and nothing to worry about :confused: but that maybe I should think about replacing it ... maybe I should bring it to my local service provider. He said they had very few reports of batteries bulging (this I did not believe).

The battery is just under 2 years old, and it has had 132 cycles. The battery still charges fine -- at least it was last week!

I live 2 hours away from the nearest Apple Store, so going there is not feasible. I took it to a small local Apple Service provider today, September 7. They said it should definitely be replaced, but that it wasn't under warranty, and I'd have to buy a new one. I was pretty irked with that, especially after all I'd read here.

They didn't have one in stock. I wasn't going to leave my computer with them for several days while one came in. They did suggest as I was leaving the store that I call back and ask for a Customer Satisfaction representative. I did. It was a long irritating conversation. My argument: a battery that loses charge and gets weaker -- that's a battery that has worn out. This is a battery that is bulging, a potential fire hazard. This is a defective battery. I had to continue making my argument for a while. They insist this is normal wear and tear (maybe it is normal, given how many people have had problems with them!) Even if it is normal, I don't think this is right. This is a defective battery. I am not sure how much time I spent on the phone today between arguing as calmly and pointedly as I could and sitting listening to awful music on hold; it was a long time.

Apple did agree to send me a new one at no charge, in the end.

I hope anyone reading this who has a bulging battery has better luck dealing with Apple (time wise, though I did get the result I wanted) than I did.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Well at least you got it solved. I never had swollen batteries with apple. But had with nokia (4 times) and they only cover the batteries for 6 months. Even if swollen to the double of it's original size they wont replace it.:mad:

rolomac

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
"Safety Concern"

I, too, was having issues with my trackpad. I bought my Macbook in April 2007, but recently have been experiencing issues with the trackpad (it felt like it was always "clicked"). After researching forums, I found that it could be due to a faulty (bulging) battery and, sure enough, I had a bulging battery. After seeing this thread, I made a Genius Bar appointment. I told them the issue of the trackpad, but what ended up on my Authorization & Service Confirmation sheet was that I stated "the battery is bulging and believes it may be a safety issue". I was in and out of my Genius Bar appointment in 10 minutes with a completely new battery. Now my trackpad works fine and I'm completely happy.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
My mother had been having issues with her MacBook (the original 1.83GHz Core Duo one) where it would randomly shut down. After trying several things to no avail, I noticed that it was rocking slightly on the desk. I flipped it over and saw the battery bulging out a bit. We took it into the Apple Store, and they agreed that the battery was swollen. The genius walked over to the shelf with batteries on it, grabbed one, opened it, and handed it to us. I've always been impressed with Apple's warranty service, but replacing the battery of a four-year-old machine that's been out of warranty for at least half a year was a bit more than I was expecting.

Also, she wound up getting a new MacBook after playing with them in the store ("Wow, these are so much faster than mine!") and I would up with the old one that was still randomly shutting down. A reapply of the thermal paste and it seems to be much better :D Now I have a fantastic little Core Duo machine with a brand new battery!

geoffhom

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
No help from Los Cerritos Apple Store

I've had the same problem as others on this forum (white Macbook battery bulge). I went to the Los Cerritos store. Unfortunately, the Genius couldn't/wouldn't help me, either. The Genius said I could buy a replacement battery for $99 (it's cheaper from the Genius Bar than from the store floor), but I told him I'd try eBay instead.

Also, the Genius said that the battery may expand because the laptop is plugged in too long. I then asked why they couldn't engineer a solution around that, and he said they couldn't. But then later he remembered that the batteries in the new laptops (the batteries that can't be removed) obviously solve that problem.

I was definitely disappointed, but it's true that it's not under warranty. (My refurb. Macbook is 2+ years old; no Apple Care. Battery has 197 cycles.) I'm more frustrated by getting my hopes up and the lack of empowerment that I felt at the Apple Store. Why can't I at least leave a comment that says I was disappointed? From the Genius, I got the impression that my ticket would just vanish into thin air, and everyone at Apple will think every customer is satisfied.

I'll buy a battery off eBay for $30 after I finish this post. In the future, unless I know I'm entitled to something from Apple (e.g., warranty), I won't bother with gambling on Apple customer service. It's not worth the time and energy for me.

I appreciate everyone's posts, to see how Apple service can differ from place to place.

Geoff

smartgirl13w

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
bulging...

Hey! I have the same problem! My comp is old, Mid 2007, and the battery still shows up as "good," though it's bulging and makes the trackpad, button, keys, palmrest, even outer edge of the laptop click like a mouse. I've deleted and gotten rid of so many things on here today on accident... I don't even know what to do!

Anywho, I couldn't afford this thing in the first place, got it from school with special school money. Someday, with my fame and fortune I'll replace it, but I'm convinced that it can last forever if I treat it kindly enough...

Okay, I've read that people have just been taking them into the Apple Store and getting deals and freebies. Well, the closest Apple store is 6 hours away in the next state over. I have a scheduled call tomorrow with Support (lied so I wouldn't have to pay, thinking that this was an 'exception' to being out of telephone call warranties). Is this bulging battery thing a real 'recall'? If I tell them the problem will they replace it because of the 'recall' or will they ignore me because it's out of warranty? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.