Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
When I put my headphones on my new iPhone 4 while listening to music, sometimes for no apparent reason the volume changes on its own! I tried different headphones and rebooting the phone itself but the problem still persists. How do I repair this?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Is the iPhone in your pocket? The volume can still be adjusted when the phone's screen is off. You could be accidentally adjusting the volume.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
No I checked that as well, sometimes its just lying on the table or in my hand and the volume buttons are untouched and it still goes down and up on its own.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Have you tried restoring the iPhone? If this still doesn't work then I would suggest that getting a replacement from Apple.

joefx

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
headphone issue

hi, ok is my first time i wrote here and i test thsi problem a lot and i find some interesting things about this, i tray to explain and is very long and hard so excuse my english

first i have an skull candy fmj too. and whrn i use in my iphone 4 i note the sudenly changes of volumes too, (ok this is not new i know) but i notice some strange behaivor about this.

inot only i have the volume problems also i have this more issue, when i use my skull candy to make a call or answer one, the other callers cant ear me , and in the other phone they toldme they listen a clicking sonud that make impossible to earme.

ok.. then i try this... i connect my skull candy to my iphone and i try to record some voice note and i discover that when i do this is impossoble to record any in a very good form, but... when i use the original apple headphones i cantalk and record very well.

first i think was my headphones and i tested in another iphone 4 the other iphone work perfet with but headphones (apple and skull candy) the other iphone was a canadian iphone tjis means is another series of manufacter.

the first thing of this problem is that insome iphones 4 happen and in other not, thats is weird but not finosh yet, seat and put attention to this.

i put my skull candy in my iphine 4 (the one with the problem not the canadian) and i turn up the volume to the max and play a song and of course the problems still but if you pause and listen very carefull you canear a series of clicking noises with an especiffic patern, this is the patern three click and a silence, and repeat, like

1,2,3, ,1,2,3, ,1,2,3, ,

ok i try to make and musical rythm explanation of the patern, and i notice that this is exactly the patern and the clicking noise that the oter caller ear when i try to use this headphones to make ana call.

ok

if i use the apple headphones of course no problems appear, and this is my conclussion

this clicks is a signal that the iphone send via headphones to make possible to control functions like volu,e and pause whitout the needing to put more wires in headphnes cable and make a compatible headphones jack

on standard telephone headset the jack was 4 conector right, left, ground and microphone, the way to control the pause and answear button is putting the ground and mic cable in short and any standar telephone understand this like a push button, and use to answear and put play and pause

apple control volume also, but obousli you need 2 more cables to do that and this is the way that use the clicking boises that i ear, is a code for send in less cables more control sognals.

ok thats sound strange i know, but if you oppen the apple control and mic that came with the original headphones you notice that there ara a set of little transistors and a little chip, and i wonder what that, the only answear is for decode special control signals

one thing that made me think that is this simple test, i connect my skull cand and again the pause buttonwork wird putting volume jumo and so on, but.... if i yell very loud to the microphone in the skullcandy the voume chang too and some ptimes they put in pause.

some guy report that driving in theri bike with the sound their iphone make rar thing and i recreate that escenario.

the answear to this is that... when the mic detect a loud sound there is a vry little change in voltage and imoedance and tjis changes are detected by the transistors and withe code sognal (clicking nosies) their send to the iphone volume changes in the same way that happens when you press the vpulmebuttons in the origianl headphones from apple

conclussion

the iphone 4 is a pice of crap that make all the hardware incompatible with all and the only soultion is wait that apple autorize other brands to use their techonology and the user pay the final price.

is very unfair apple do this, and obously the apple "genius" ara a bunch of idi-ts.

the strange part of this is that some iphones 4 do and another not, this is the proof that apple do not have qulity test

i'm very upset for this problem the onl soultion that i found is cut the skull candy and put in the apple headphones cable, as you kwonthis cable is a crap and brpke very quickly, and the skullcand cable are more heaby duty

i hope my explanation work in some way to any one, i dont have and ociloscope to make more test to this clicking nosie but i think that i made a some kind of dicover

if any one can tell something more about this i and a lot of user where happy

thanks

joe

cheeseblock

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
SLC, UT
I just read the post from joefx, and it makes perfect sense. I too have FMJ's with an iPhone 4. My earphones work perfectly at home and general use, even when i'm snowboarding...

BUT- when I use them while riding my motorcycle, the volume skips up and down every 5-10 seconds and it occasionally pauses and skips songs too. Extremely annoying! I can't stand it, and it turns it up on full blast where it's deafening, and then it won't let me use the button to pause it, so i'm stuck with blaring music until I pull over and unplug them. according to joefx, this happens because of the extremely loud wind noise going into my mic as i ride.

Should I contact apple? or skullcandy? will a replacement of either device help at all? or do i need to get a completely different set of earphones? will all earphones with a mic do this? FML!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.