Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
With all the new features of the newer phones and the speed of 3G why do you keep your old 2G iPhone?

I was at a resturant this weekend, and I had my 3GS and some guy was using an original iPhone complaining the speed was really slow, so I asked him why he doesn't just upgrade, and he said he was getting a new one, so I said ok which one 3GS, or iPhone 4 he sais no new 2G :eek:

I asked him why he doesn't upgrade and he said he likes this one and upgrading is just not worth the money?

I nearly fell off the bar stool, why curse the speed of something and then when you have the opportunity to get a faster one, you say Na I am content with this older phone????

So if you have a 2G why haven't you upgraded????

I would really like to know because the 2G is very old now....

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I bought a second hand 2g phone the other day after my 3GS got smashed and it gave me a reason to get one as I'll sell the other on ebay and make a bit of a profit after it's fixed.

I've loved every moment with my new purchase though. It's not as fast as it only has 128mb of RAM and only 2g speeds but it feels like quality, not the plastic back like the 3G or 3GS it is aluminium which just feels awesome. It is also a lot more duribal as all it took was a hit from a football to break my 3GS but my old 2G before it was stolen could take a huge beating and I did drop it a few times.

That's why I like the original so much anyway.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Because for those of us that bought the iPhone when it came out, we know how awesome it feels. The iPhone is the best phone ever. I think only the iPhone 4 can scratch its heels.

Also it's called the iPhone not iPhone 2G.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
The 1st gen is a classic design. I personally love the design of it and if the iPhone 4 had just been the 4 internals in a 1st gen shell I would have loved the device to death. It was a sweet phone.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm still using my 2g iPhone. The only feature I miss on a regular basis is MMS. I wouldn't mind the new features but I'm content to wait until the white iPhone 4 comes out. There's no 3G coverage in the city I live in right now so it really doesn't matter. Beyond the system itself running faster I won't see that big of a change. I'm aware of all the other differences but I'm not that worried about it. Plus I still think my iPhone is the best looking one they made with the new 4 coming in a close second. I can't even tell you how many times I've dropped my phone and it continues to run like a champ. I just recently dropped it on the pavement in a parking lot. Made a dent about the size of the camera about 1/4" below the camera. Picked it and turned it on like nothing happened. I haven't used a case for all but maybe a month of my ownership. Best phone I've ever had.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I know it's just iPhone not iPhone 2G but in conversation people usually think I refer to the newest one so I call it that to avoid confusion.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Not everyone needs a new phone every year or two, I know some people still rocking the original razr v3. To some people it's just not that important that they will go out and spend a couple hundred bucks and sign a two year contract when the phone they currently have is working fine.

As for the guy complaining about the speed, I hope he realizes that getting another iPhone won't help with that, but maybe he just likes the look and feel?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I loved the 1st gen and tbh if they would have released it with 3G I would still be using it. It was a solid phone and once 2.0 was release apps made it more of a classy geek gadget.

The 3G was a nice phone but all that plastic was ott. I'm back to being happy now the ip4 is in my hands and I'm glad I did buy every cycle of the iPhone as I'm now happier with my ip4.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I was happy with my 2G and really did not feel like extending my contract for the 3G. When the 3GS was released I had a feeling that the next iPhone would be very different since apple used the same design twice. I held out for the iP4. Basically just waiting for more stock.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
My Dad likes his 2G. He doesn't want to pay the higher price for the 3G data package, and it suits him just fine. Simple, really.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It's the best iPhone Apple has ever built or designed. I miss mine.

OMGitsShan

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
I still use it because the 3G and 3GS didn't justify their costs for the new features they had. I buy my handsets outright, so not subsidised with a contract therefore for me - they have to be fully worth the full price i am paying and given the new stuff in the 3G & 3GS over the 2G - I didnt feel they were worth it.

The iPhone 4 however is worth it because lots of new features are included - camera flash, HD video recording, multitasking, facetime etc - so those are worth it. And in addition, there is GPS as well which the 2G never got - so an added bonus if you are upgrading from the 2G model.

I will get an iPhone 4 as soon as stock is available, but I will still keep my 2G around as a backup or use it for my 2nd SIM - handy when I travel abroad.

Plus the battery on the 2G is great and you cant beat that real metal aluminium back. Truly a great design.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Probably because it was the most durable of all iPhones. It cost $600 when it first came out. $400 after a little over 2 months. Some may still want to use it until it dies. Lots of people DO NOT need all the whiz bang features that they probably don't use regularly. I know people who would rather get an older flip phone instead of dealing with data plan charges. Personally, I would rather have a Nexus One over the first iPhone. 800Mhz-1Ghz w/ 512 MB of RAM is a bare minimum for me. The 2G always had Safari crashing and contant reboots.

Once I got the 4, I really can't go back to the older screens either. I even sold my first gen iPod touch just a couple of days ago. That was my 5th gadget I sold on Craigslist in six weeks. Point of no return for me after seeing the Retina Display. Just me and my iPhone 4 now. It is all I really need to carry around along with a decent camera for vacations. I was thinking of getting the new iPod touch that will be released next month just so I can jailbreak it. I said, "Nah." I don't want it to get redundant and have it OUTSHINE my 4 with all the cool themes. I prefer to keep my iP4 in vanilla form.

Different strokes for different folks. To each their own.

JonBook Pro

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Because of the build quality. I was really turned off by the cracks I found when I originally upgraded to the white iPhone 3G, so I stood off upgrading until they came out with a different design.

At this point, I'm just waiting for the white iPhone 4 before jumping on the bandwagon.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
I still have my original iPhone. My line's not under contract with AT&T, nor do I have to pay $30/month for 3G data. I still get 200 text messages a month, and I telecommute, so I'm on my home Wi-Fi all day. I only keep the Edge data plan because I like to have some data coverage when I do leave the house.

It works just fine and I haven't seen anything in the new iPhones that would want to make me jump into another contract or shell out $600 for the latest-and-greatest.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
Because it still runs like this... :D

(not mine, someone I knows)

It was an awesome design though, and although I only owned one for just a week, I loved it.

Attachments

• phonesmashed.jpeg
    phonesmashed.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 252

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I love my iPhone 4, don't get me wrong. But the ONLY reason I upgraded was for the camera. The first gen did everything I ever needed it to and then some, and it cost me $15 less monthly for the exact same call/data plans than my new contract with AT&T does. Yeah, it's slow on Edge, but whatever. It worked fine that way for three years, thank you. If I could have stuck an ip4 camera into my old phone, I would've done it. The other stuff I gained by switching I could take or leave.

My husband still hasn't upgraded his...and he has the original 4GB model. He nearly went with a 3GS six months ago, then decided it wasn't worth the money to upgrade. He's eyed my ip4 a few times, even went down to the Apple store last week to see if they were in stock...but when they weren't, that was the end of it. He's not motivated enough to make the switch yet. Frankly, I think that says a lot about that little workhorse of a phone.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I still like my original iPhone the best out of all of them.

It was good times mate. I wish I could get the new features in the old package.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
With all the new features of the newer phones and the speed of 3G why do you keep your old 2G iPhone?

I was at a resturant this weekend, and I had my 3GS and some guy was using an original iPhone complaining the speed was really slow, so I asked him why he doesn't just upgrade, and he said he was getting a new one, so I said ok which one 3GS, or iPhone 4 he sais no new 2G :eek:

I asked him why he doesn't upgrade and he said he likes this one and upgrading is just not worth the money?

I nearly fell off the bar stool, why curse the speed of something and then when you have the opportunity to get a faster one, you say Na I am content with this older phone????

So if you have a 2G why haven't you upgraded????

I would really like to know because the 2G is very old now....

I did, ....to a Samsung Vibrant :D

T-Mobile user, ......didnt want to upgrade to a 3G or 3GS. Would of liked to get a iP4, but they are too expensive to still be on EDGE so i went to the best Android phone awaiting 2.2 real soon. Maybe by 2012 when i can upgrade, iPhone goes to other carriers or, i may like what Android has even more by then.

Who knows!
But tell ya what, My 2G was a good phone for two years. Only thing wrong is the silence button is broke. Other than that, the display is in excellent shape and so is the back. I even made it louder by taking the black cover off and removing the tape they had over the holes on the bottom.

Mine is jailbroken so ive always had MMS and video recording while you guys were suffering with Apple & AT&T holding you back. Have watched many TV shows on it which you non jailbreakers cant do unless you have a slingbox and pay for it,

I know the people who own THIS site/business for iPhones so i can get mine fixed for free. For any of you who need work, they do em all including iPads and have two stores now. So it makes sense for me to get another iPhone since i dont really have to worry about warranty on it, but.......times are tough and i couldnt spend what it would cost to get a iP4.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I came really close to selling my OG recently because the battery is close to shot until I realized:

1. It's a collector's item
2. I will always be able to get the att unlimited data plan back on my account with it

driphone

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
I bought all iPhone models the first day they came out. The 3G and 3Gs are gone but I kept the iPhone and I agree it was the phone that changed the industry for ever. I love it and I plan to keep it for my son as a piece of computing history. Call me crazy but I even thought about framing it...nice work of art Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.