Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
So, I got the magic trackpad a few days ago and have really taken to it. It's now sitting right by my keyboard with my mouse further over to the right (getting used less and less).

However, twice now, the Trackpad has sort of 'lost its marbles'. It starts to act like the button is always being depressed and so any time I try to do anything it starts to drag stuff around the desktop, selecting everything in sight, it's really quite annoying.

Rebooting it will clear the problem for a while.

Is this driver flakiness, or is this thing defective? If no one else is having this problem I will exchange for another unit and hope to have better luck with that one.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I'd go for defective. If it were a flaky driver, or other software glitch, this problem would be much more widespread.

jakk2809

macrumors member
May 24, 2007
I am having a similar problem but I am using Better Touch Tool. With BTT off I cannot recreate that problem but with BTT on, it seems like it's always pressed. I highlight stuff left and right and I can't let go of windows. If I give it a good smack (just press it randomly), it eventually goes back to normal.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I'm starting to wonder if it's using the trackpad settings 'Tap To Click' and 'Dragging' under the one finger section.

Could it be these or clicking on some outer edge of the trackpad doing this?

I will turn those settings off for a bit and test.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
With Tap to Click disabled I cannot reproduce the problem. I expect that with this turned on and the click to drag enabled that occasionally the system gets confused and thinks you've done a click/drag selection and will not undo it with the escape key, clicking the track pad again, etc.

I will try turning on tap to click again but leave click to drag turned off and verify I still can't get the problem to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.