Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0md0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Hey guys sorry if this is a stupid question but I just jailbroke my ip4 and prior to doing so, I also backed up my iphone. My question is, after having it jailbroken and I start downloading apps from Cydia and App Store, how do I back it up and keep all of the new apps? Am I allowed to use the back up feature after the phone has been jailbroken?

In other words, I know that my "prior to jailbroken" back up is the cleanest back up. I don't want to taint it. Cause if anything goes wrong I can always do a Set Up As New and then restore from clean back up and VOILA, no traces of jailbroken phone. But if I use that clean back up I won't have any of the new apps right? Or all I would have to do is sync my apps up again?

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Hey guys sorry if this is a stupid question but I just jailbroke my ip4 and prior to doing so, I also backed up my iphone. My question is, after having it jailbroken and I start downloading apps from Cydia and App Store, how do I back it up and keep all of the new apps? Am I allowed to use the back up feature after the phone has been jailbroken?

In other words, I know that my "prior to jailbroken" back up is the cleanest back up. I don't want to taint it. Cause if anything goes wrong I can always do a Set Up As New and then restore from clean back up and VOILA, no traces of jailbroken phone. But if I use that clean back up I won't have any of the new apps right? Or all I would have to do is sync my apps up again?

Find out where iTunes stores its backups (I'm very tired and cant be bothered to search). Copy the backup folder and keep it somewhere safe. At any time you can restore to that backup in the future. Cydia apps aren't saved in backups, you'll either have to reinstall them one by one when you restore or you can buy pkgbackup from Cydia which backs them up. And yes you can continue to sync and backup in iTunes as normal

t0md0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
But if I sync and backup with a jailbroken iPhone what's the point?

assuming if something goes wrong with the iphone whether too many JB apps degrades the phone, battery starts juicing and god forbid if one day the phone just bricks (which happend to me with blackra1n on my 3G one day) and the only way to get it up and running is through DFU mode.

at that point wouldn't you want to use the last pre JB backup anyway? you wouldn't want to use any backup that have "JB remnants" correct? so how at that point, would you be able to recover recent contacts, emails and text etc. from when the phone was JB?

hope this makes sense. lol. basically i've been real sketchy with JB phones.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Do a "transfer purchases" within iTunes and it will transfer all the apps that are on your iphone which aren't in your iTunes to iTunes (hopefully that made sense). You can't transfer JB apps to your iphone after you do a restore but they will still show up in iTunes. Only way to get it to work & transfer is to JB again.

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
what about this... can you just change the name of your iphone in itunes and the back it up as a after jailbreak back up? this way you have a pre and post jailbreak back up.

dont know if that will work, but sounds like it should.

og1

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
what about this... can you just change the name of your iphone in itunes and the back it up as a after jailbreak back up? this way you have a pre and post jailbreak back up.

dont know if that will work, but sounds like it should.

yes this works. i posted it in a thread yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.