Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
I was about to post this question as the salesperson in the Apple store told me the exact opposite (re: iPhone 4, if that makes a difference), that 3G is the default data source even when connected to wifi- they even said I would have to turn off 3G when connected to my home wifi so as to avoid running up data charges... were they wrong?

(The only other thing I asked about they were also wrong about after I checked back here... thank goodness for this site!)

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

PaulMoore said:
I was about to post this question as the salesperson in the Apple store told me the exact opposite (re: iPhone 4, if that makes a difference), that 3G is the default data source even when connected to wifi- they even said I would have to turn off 3G when connected to my home wifi so as to avoid running up data charges... were they wrong?

(The only other thing I asked about they were also wrong about after I checked back here... thank goodness for this site!)

Yep. The salesperson was wrong. (it happens)

Wifi automatically takes over for data use (surfing sending email, iTunes downloading, etc.) when connected. In my experience, the iPhone picks wifi EVEN when it is slower (my wifi router crashed, wouldn't switch to 3G until I turned wifi off in settings)

The only exception I've ever heard of is the diagnostic data the iPhone sends home to Apple. There were reports (on this forum) of that data being sent over 3G even when wifi was connected. (I can't confirm this as fact though)

Sean

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i would even go as far as recommending to turn off 3G when youre in a wifi area. the battery usage saved will definitely help

Wetwipes

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I turn my 3G and cellular data off on my ip4 when I'm at home as I was 'mysteriously' being charged for mobile internet during times when I know I was at home. Since then I haven't had a problem - it is a pain in the a** to remember to keep doing it, but, at least I know I can surf with confidence in the privacy of my own home! :eek:

mountainwizrd

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Asheville, NC
Hope this isnt too far off topic- I have a microcell and its signal seems to carry further than my wi fi, since the microcell routes through my DSL line, is there a data charge when connected through the microcell instead of wi fi ? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.