Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmyneedles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Hey guys, I've been reading a lot of threads where people are changing their icons to retina icons so that it looks a lot better, but I don't know how to that.

I was wondering if somebody could give me a guide to show me how to change specific app icons on the iPhone 4. I'm sure it would help out a lot of people like me.

Thanks!

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I've been reading a lot of threads where people are changing their icons to retina icons so that it looks a lot better, but I don't know how to that.

I was wondering if somebody could give me a guide to show me how to change specific app icons on the iPhone 4. I'm sure it would help out a lot of people like me.

Thanks!

The threads on it are sort of confusing as most people doing this assume a higher-than-beginner level of understanding with it. I had never done anything like this before but I was able to finally figure it out for myself and here's what I did:

You'll need an a program to see the files on your iPhone. I use(d) DiskAid (I think you can get a free trial, if not it's $10)

Here's how I do it in DiskAid:

Connect phone to computer

Open DiskAid

Click on "Root" on the left side

Then click on "User"

Then below "User", click on "Applications"

Each application folder will be a huge series of numbers and letters. Click on one and you'll see this (This is an example of Wolfenstein 3D game. See the circled area? That's what you'll be working with):

DiskAid.png

Take the "iTunesArtwork" file (the 93.1 kb one), and right click it to copy it to your desktop.

Now, click on "wolf3d.app"

You want to look for "icon" (or something similar) - in this case, the icon file would be "wolf3d_icon.png" - this is the file you want to replace with the new resized one you are going to make

DiskAid2.png

Now, go to your desktop and right click the "iTunesArtwork" file and click "rename", and add ".png" to the end of the file name (so you actually rename it as "iTunesArtwork.png"). Now you should be able to open/edit it, and this is when you resize it. I used Paint.net to resize them. Resize them to 114x114 pixels.

Once you have resized it, you want to save it as "wolf3d_icon.png", and replace the original "wolf3d_icon.png" with your new one.

What I did is just right click the original "wolf3d_icon.png" file and delete it. Then take my new "wolf3d_icon.png" from the desktop and drag it right into the old one's place. Once you do that, respring your phone and enjoy your new retina display icon.

If you accidentally replace the wrong file or something, just delete the app off your phone and re-download it from the AppStore

anonymous6237

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Plano, TX
The threads on it are sort of confusing as most people doing this assume a higher-than-beginner level of understanding with it. I had never done anything like this before but I was able to finally figure it out for myself and here's what I did:

Good information. Note you will have to make this change again in the future if they update their app as the update will replace the icon you setup. Hopefully their updates will include updated icons and you won't have to go back in and do it but be prepared just in case.

iJules

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009

You'll need an a program to see the files on your iPhone. I use(d) DiskAid (I think you can get a free trial, if not it's $10)

Here's how I do it in DiskAid:

Connect phone to computer

Open DiskAid

Click on "Root" on the left side

Then click on "User"

Then below "User", click on "Applications"

Each application folder will be a huge series of numbers and letters. Click on one and you'll see this (This is an example of Wolfenstein 3D game. See the circled area? That's what you'll be working with):

DiskAid.png

Take the "iTunesArtwork" file (the 93.1 kb one), and right click it to copy it to your desktop.

Now, click on "wolf3d.app"

You want to look for "icon" (or something similar) - in this case, the icon file would be "wolf3d_icon.png" - this is the file you want to replace with the new resized one you are going to make

DiskAid2.png

Now, go to your desktop and right click the "iTunesArtwork" file and click "rename", and add ".png" to the end of the file name (so you actually rename it as "iTunesArtwork.png"). Now you should be able to open/edit it, and this is when you resize it. I used Paint.net to resize them. Resize them to 114x114 pixels.

Once you have resized it, you want to save it as "wolf3d_icon.png", and replace the original "wolf3d_icon.png" with your new one.

What I did is just right click the original "wolf3d_icon.png" file and delete it. Then take my new "wolf3d_icon.png" from the desktop and drag it right into the old one's place. Once you do that, respring your phone and enjoy your new retina display icon.

If you accidentally replace the wrong file or something, just delete the app off your phone and re-download it from the AppStore

This was very helpful, thanks. I had done this on my 3GS, but they've moved stuff around! :)

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
How about the location of the folder icons? I have created several "folders" or groups of apps and I want to change from the mini icons to a custom one. ANyone know where to look for their location?

mjfan82

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
great thread, subscribing.

if we could know the location of the native icons that aren't retina display would be excellent!

kylejc86

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
the stock apps like the phone and ipod are located by going to root and clicking on the applications folder

illectron

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
totally does not work for iPhone 4

as Jimmyneedles originally specified; he cannot change the icons on an iPhone 4. the replies all work for every other model of iPhone I've noticed running the same iOS, but for some reason the iPhone 4 is special and nothing I can find works to skin the icons

tuix

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
is there in any way a danger of violating the warranty thing when we edit the icons?

because i am very bored of some of them like there a stupid flower for photos and there is a boring green phone for phone icon. so i really do want to change some of them, but if "editing such root content which is not standardly made available for users" leads to violation i don't think i should do it.

i can't even begin reading the user license agreement really as it is thousands of pages and in some small sentence the answer probably lies but if anyone here already knows? i would be really happy.:rolleyes:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
is there in any way a danger of violating the warranty thing when we edit the icons?

because i am very bored of some of them like there a stupid flower for photos and there is a boring green phone for phone icon. so i really do want to change some of them, but if "editing such root content which is not standardly made available for users" leads to violation i don't think i should do it.

i can't even begin reading the user license agreement really as it is thousands of pages and in some small sentence the answer probably lies but if anyone here already knows? i would be really happy.:rolleyes:

If you restore your phone to factory setting prior to bringing it into Apple, how do they know if your phone has been messing with? unless you bring it in as is :rolleyes:

Jato

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
I've spent a lot of time over the last few years creating tutorials teaching people how to theme.

Here's my 4.x firmware links, most info still applies to 5.x:

http://www.hackthatphone.com/4x/themes_with_winterboard.html

Hi

I have been building a theme on my iph4 off your link, im running ios5.0.1 thats Jailbreaked via Redsn0w. I have Winterboard on it and am building my own theme. I have managed to locate all program icons and changed as i want to, however i am unable to locate the Photo - Icon2x.png file. So while all icons are changed, this one isnt. Here is a screenshot of the Home screen. If you could help that would be awesome! Been looking thru all my iphone directories files with no luck what so ever! Seems odd as I thought this would have been located in /private/var/stash/Applications where the likes of Safari/Mail are located...

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    128.1 KB · Views: 10,201

Jato

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
/Applications/MobileSlideShow.app/icon@2x.png

PERFECT!! Thank you! Dont know why i didn't think to look there myself!

Heres the finished look so far...Work In Progress and your Tutorials are extremely good!

Attachments

• photoMX.PNG
    photoMX.PNG
    134.1 KB · Views: 10,155
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.