Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vonage and Facebook today launched a new calling program that allows users to call their Facebook friends for free. In order to participate in the program, users must have either the new Vonage Mobile for Facebook application for iOS or Android installed.

Once the app is downloaded, users can sign in with their Facebook account and see a list of their Facebook friends they can call for free, as well as other users they can chat with via IM.
The app works anywhere you have 3G or Wi-Fi coverage - even overseas. There are no international calling fees or data roaming charges when on Wi-Fi, and you don't use your cellular minutes. If you do not have an unlimited 3G data plan or Wi-Fi subscription, check with your mobile carrier, as charges may apply. When traveling abroad using the local 3G network, just be sure to have an international data roaming plan from your carrier to avoid excessive roaming charges.
Users can also take advantage of the app's chat capabilities or the program's Facebook page to easily invite their friends to download the application to allow for free calling.

Article Link: Vonage Launches iPhone App for Free Calls to Facebook Friends

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Or you could just use Skype :rolleyes:

I know like 2 people that have Skype and zero that actually keep it turned on to get calls. Nearly everyone I know is on Facebook. I have voyage so this works for me. But the catch I'm sure is that it will use my Vonage minutes, of which we only get 500 I think.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I know like 2 people that have Skype and zero that actually keep it turned on to get calls. Nearly everyone I know is on Facebook. I have voyage so this works for me. But the catch I'm sure is that it will use my Vonage minutes, of which we only get 500 I think.

I agree with this statement. Even though I really like skype I don't really know too many people who are currently using it. This was a great idea by Vonage to create app that will allow Facebook users to call each other. It also will give Vonage more exposure.

cdp1276

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2005
Fairport, NY
Also agree smart move by Vonage. I have had their service since very early on and have been very happy with it. Them creating a free way to extend capabilities is great!!!

Doom878

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think you need a Vonage account to make calls. I can't get in touch with my FB friends that have iPhones/Android to try this but the IM feature works

m2nal

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
tested it 2 friends over 3G, worked beautifully and neither were vonage customers

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Very cool. While you could just use Skype, I only have a few Sykpe friends. The rest are all on facebook. BUT not all of them have an iOS device or Android device.

noyank11

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
too much FBook intrusion by Vonage

I was setting up this app & decided not to when I got to the page requesting access to my FBook friends info & permission to post to my wall..

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
I was setting up this app & decided not to when I got to the page requesting access to my FBook friends info & permission to post to my wall..

How would they be able to call your friends without knowing who they are? It's pretty standard for Facebook integration.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I agree with this statement. Even though I really like skype I don't really know too many people who are currently using it. This was a great idea by Vonage to create app that will allow Facebook users to call each other. It also will give Vonage more exposure.

Well, it's crap. Same concept as Skype. Someone on other end has to have a Vonage app AND a FB acct. Its ridiculous, really.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Further proof that wireless companies are going to stop with minute plans eventually and move to data only. For smartphones at very least.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
So why am I paying AT&T $60 per month for minutes I never use thanks to free mobile to mobile?

I think it is time to get rid of the whole minutes thing.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
This is really not that great. So I'm using data in stead of minutes? I think I know which one I value more...

International calls, sure, but for day-to-day usage not so much.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
This is really not that great. So I'm using data in stead of minutes? I think I know which one I value more...

International calls, sure, but for day-to-day usage not so much.

If you're like me, with unlimited data, this IS a good thing.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So why am I paying AT&T $60 per month for minutes I never use thanks to free mobile to mobile?

I think it is time to get rid of the whole minutes thing.

Because not everyone only talks to people on AT&T. My friends are way smarter.

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
It'd be a bit more handy if they made the app work on desktop computers, as you are restricted to calling friends who use an iDevice or Android device AND use Vonage and are signed in to facebook. That rules out just about everybody.
If they had an fb app that lets you recieve/make calls from your desktop, that'd open up the number of people you can call.

At least you can IM someone to say "get on Vonage!!"

mackiwilad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Ask the Goverment!
It'd be a bit more handy if they made the app work on desktop computers, as you are restricted to calling friends who use an iDevice or Android device AND use Vonage and are signed in to facebook. That rules out just about everybody.
If they had an fb app that lets you recieve/make calls from your desktop, that'd open up the number of people you can call.

At least you can IM someone to say "get on Vonage!!"

No, you don't have to be a Vonage person. All you need is a FB account and the Vonage app on your phone. I agree it would be call to do desktop calls as well, however the always on functionality is pretty nifty.

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
No, you don't have to be a Vonage person. All you need is a FB account and the Vonage app on your phone. I agree it would be call to do desktop calls as well, however the always on functionality is pretty nifty.

Are you saying that if you have Vonage on your phone, you can call anybody who is your friend on facebook regardless whether they have the app?

I'm confused :confused:

Doom878

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
How do you do free Skype mobile to mobile calls? Me and my wife have it but it said I needed credit.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
It's too bad there isn't an easy way to establish a voice connection with other people. If only there were a way to call someone without both parties needing to be logged into the same service at the same time.

There needs to be some kind of universal network that's "always on" - where everyone is just identified with a 10 digit number or something like that.

I heard there's an iPhone app called "Phone" that's supposed to be something like this, but I haven't tried it yet.

mackiwilad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Ask the Goverment!
Are you saying that if you have Vonage on your phone, you can call anybody who is your friend on facebook regardless whether they have the app?

I'm confused :confused:

Only if they have the app on their phone as well. If they are just on the web page on their home computer, then you can IM chat with them, but not voice call. Its all on the video that you can see on their web page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.