Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Just curious if anyone has been able to achieve (or if there is a product) a web interface for the OS X built in servers (web/mail) that mirrors the MobileMe platform.

Thanks.

TheAshMan

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2009
Washington D.C.
Definitely not in OS X server.

I doubt there is anything remotely like that from 3rd party. Multifunction cloud service like that is pretty complicated. Do you mean just the web mail interface on mobile me?

donstenk

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
The Hague
iDisk on Lan

The MobileMe service that I would like to see on OSX server is a service similar to iDisk, but available on the local LAN with a locally cached copy. The reason for this is that our ADSL is not fast enough to sync our 5 office Macs with the MobileMe iDisk.

Windows has something similar called "Offline Folders" and it is in fact the only thing that I miss since switching to Mac 5 years ago.

Over the years I have tried practically every sync app out there and we now use Synchronise X Plus to sync the MacBooks with the file server, but it is not as simple as a Local iDisk would be. Whilst it can be scripted to run always on log-on it does not detect the difference between the office network (where it needs to run) and the home network (where it does not need to run). It would be great if it could run on certain network connections.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I doubt there is anything remotely like that from 3rd party. Multifunction cloud service like that is pretty complicated. Do you mean just the web mail interface on mobile me?

Yes, I meant the web interface for such things as web mail, calendar, ect....

I know it has squirrel mail built in but the goal would be to replicated the OS X experience on the web like Apple does with Mobile Me.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
If Apple could make it so it has an awesome setup to administer it, then I would love it.

Imagine having mobileme functionality, but it all running on your own private servers.

-Find my iPhone listing all the iPhones in the company.
-Real iCal syncing for everyone.
-An awesome Web interface, along with push email for iPhones/iPads
-One piece of setup for the users' data on their macs
-Good presence indication for users
-Making iDisk work a little more like Dropbox, or even a step further, turn iDisk on for certain folders and it does the work for you.
-Notes, Todo and Task syncing
-The ability to push in house or corporately approved apps to iPhones

All without MS Exchange, would be a real game changer.

I think Apple would do really well to pitch this to businesses as a real competitor to RIM's BES. Especially after what is happening with Saudi Arabia and UAE. None of your corporate data should be accessible by a third party, including RIM. If you are the only people hosting those services, then that will be true.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
The MobileMe service that I would like to see on OSX server is a service similar to iDisk, but available on the local LAN with a locally cached copy. The reason for this is that our ADSL is not fast enough to sync our 5 office Macs with the MobileMe iDisk.

Windows has something similar called "Offline Folders" and it is in fact the only thing that I miss since switching to Mac 5 years ago.

Over the years I have tried practically every sync app out there and we now use Synchronise X Plus to sync the MacBooks with the file server, but it is not as simple as a Local iDisk would be. Whilst it can be scripted to run always on log-on it does not detect the difference between the office network (where it needs to run) and the home network (where it does not need to run). It would be great if it could run on certain network connections.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis.

DropBox will use LAN aware syncing to reduce internet footprint. I'd be happy to invite you as we both get bonus space if I do so, just PM me an E-mail and you get the free 2GB + 250mb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.