Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
So I just got hold of a few of these new battery chargers from Apple and I'm just wondering if these are meant to stay plugged in the wall, even after the green light goes off. Does the light going off mean that the batteries will no longer draw power from the power outlet and that it is safe to assume power will continue to be consumed? Or is it preferred that I plug and unplug the charger only when needed to avoid any, unnecessary, extra power consumption?

Anyone have an idea? Much appreciated, thanks.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Yes, it's fine to leave it plugged in. It stops charging when the battery is fully charged. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

Thanks. Great info there, but if I'm not mistaken, is that resource just specifically for Mac laptop batteries? I was speaking of the new Battery charger accessory that Apple just released.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks. Great info there, but if I'm not mistaken, is that resource just specifically for Mac laptop batteries? I was speaking of the new Battery charger accessory that Apple just released.

I missed that. Your answer is here:

http://www.apple.com/battery-charger/
But the Apple Battery Charger senses when its batteries are done charging and automatically reduces the amount of power it needs.
Thanks to an intelligent power management system, the Apple Battery Charger uses less power once your batteries are fully charged,

and here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4275
When to Unplug Apple Battery Charger

You should unplug Apple Battery Charger from the power outlet if any of the following conditions exist:

The charger plug, the adaptor itself, or the charging case is damaged.
The charger is exposed to rain, liquid, or excessive moisture.
You suspect the charger needs service or repair.
The AC power cord has become frayed or damaged.
You suspect a battery is damaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.