Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
TX
On my 3G the mail would push just fine. I cannot get yahoo email to push at all on the 4. I have to manually search for it. What gives?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
On my 3G the mail would push just fine. I cannot get yahoo email to push at all on the 4. I have to manually search for it. What gives?

Same here. I've been using Gmail because Yahoo email won't "push" anymore, really hoping they'd fix it (either Yahoo or Apple).

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
Make sure fetch isn't set to "manual" (use check every 15 minutes) even if you have push on, then reboot the phone.

Why should that matter? The issue is with push, and fetching is only when push is off or unavailable. Even if push is failing and fetch is making up for it by fetching data every 15, 30, or 60 minutes, the point is that push isn't working properly. I want my mail delivered instantly, via push.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
what do you mean "push"?

Basially Yahoo email users on iPhone 4 (on my end) don't get notified right away if they had a new incoming email, unlike before. Now we have to manually check our inbox, by tapping the Mail app, for new incoming emails. Before this was done flawlessly, emails were just "pushed" instantly, not manually fetched even though the setting for Yahoo was on push.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Why should that matter? The issue is with push, and fetching is only when push is off or unavailable. Even if push is failing and fetch is making up for it by fetching data every 15, 30, or 60 minutes, the point is that push isn't working properly. I want my mail delivered instantly, via push.

It's a known bug within Yahoo that causes mail not to work when it's set to "manual." I wanted to confirm that it's not the source of the problem.

Also, go to Settings > Mail > Fetch New Data > Advanced and ensure it's set to Push.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
This problem existed ever since the original iPhone 2G was introduced. Steve Jobs mentioned in his keynote that Yahoo mail has push mail integrated but never worked in reality. I have yet to receive a push from my yahoo mail ever.

You can try third party apps that provide push notifications for yahoo mail. But the only one I know of is IM+. Even the most versatile mail pusher app like Mail Notifier doesn't provide Yahoo mail push. There ought to be a technical reason for the exclusion.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
It's a known bug within Yahoo that causes mail not to work when it's set to "manual." I wanted to confirm that it's not the source of the problem.

Also, go to Settings > Mail > Fetch New Data > Advanced and ensure it's set to Push.

I see, I changed it to 15. Hours later I checked my desktop and noticed 3 emails. No notification on my iphone. They appeared after manually checking the app.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
TX
I received push mail on my 3G. I rarely had a problem and the mail was as reliable as MobileMe. There is an issue with the 4 and yahoo for sure. I hope it gets fixed.

krayziekray

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
This problem has been around for a long time. I had this problem when I first got my 3G and then after a couple of months it started working again. Now for the last 2 months I have had this problem (with my 3G), and it is now continuing with my iPhone 4 ... I don't think it's an Apple problem, but rather Yahoos server issue.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Basially Yahoo email users on iPhone 4 (on my end) don't get notified right away if they had a new incoming email, unlike before. Now we have to manually check our inbox, by tapping the Mail app, for new incoming emails. Before this was done flawlessly, emails were just "pushed" instantly, not manually fetched even though the setting for Yahoo was on push.

strange because i have yahoo emails come through even though I have it set to manual with push off. If i want to check email, i'll check it. I don't want mine to push or fetch but it does it anyway!

jwilson25

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
strange because i have yahoo emails come through even though I have it set to manual with push off. If i want to check email, i'll check it. I don't want mine to push or fetch but it does it anyway!

Same issue I have with mine as well.

BigKyle

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009
what i have noticed is when the mail.app is "running" in my "task bar" thing for multi tasking, it doesnt push, but if i make sure its closed out of there when im done in the app i get the push mail just fine...

its weird

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
TX
I see, I changed it to 15. Hours later I checked my desktop and noticed 3 emails. No notification on my iphone. They appeared after manually checking the app.

Yeah, it is not a simple settings issue. I have tried it all.

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
This problem has been around for a long time. I had this problem when I first got my 3G and then after a couple of months it started working again. Now for the last 2 months I have had this problem (with my 3G), and it is now continuing with my iPhone 4 ... I don't think it's an Apple problem, but rather Yahoos server issue.

I agree. I've had a Yahoo email account on three different iPhones since 2007, and it's never reliably pushed. Sometimes it pushes and sometimes it doesn't. At first, Yahoo was the only push email for the iPhone, so I wasn't sure if the problem was on Apple or Yahoo's end. Now that there's other push options that all seem to work well, it's obvious that the problem is with Yahoo's servers.

orangecrushv

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Dallas
what i have noticed is when the mail.app is "running" in my "task bar" thing for multi tasking, it doesnt push, but if i make sure its closed out of there when im done in the app i get the push mail just fine...

its weird

I just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. It cleared up my push issues too...

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
TX
What does the mail.app symbol look like? How so I turn it off to ensure push works?

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I think its an iOS issue cos since I upgraded to 4.0 and later my push has not been working properly on my 3G. It used to work just fine before upgrading to iOS4

toss002

Suspended
Jul 16, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
I 'had' the same issue coming from iPhone 3G--'restoring' from its data. But I tried the following and I have had NO problem since (knock on wood):

In the settings, try "reset" (the first one, the one that doesn't erase anything). :)

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
TX
I 'had' the same issue coming from iPhone 3G--'restoring' from its data. But I tried the following and I have had NO problem since (knock on wood):

In the settings, try "reset" (the first one, the one that doesn't erase anything). :)

The first "reset" under "General" in "Settings"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.