Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
All at once! :eek:

I got few hundred Voice Memos in my iPhone and I´m not about to start deleting them one at a time.

So please tell how is this done?

No one has the answer for this mystery?

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I suppose you could SSH in to your phone and delete them. Try /private/var/mobile/Media/Recordings. Off the top of my head, not sure of the exact location
One question: Why do you have "a few hundred" voice memos on your iPhone?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I suppose you could SSH in to your phone and delete them. Try /private/var/mobile/Media/Recordings. Off the top of my head, not sure of the exact location
One question: Why do you have "a few hundred" voice memos on your iPhone?

This. Also, can't you just plug into iTunes, go to the "Voice Memo" playlist and delete all of them?

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
This. Also, can't you just plug into iTunes, go to the "Voice Memo" playlist and delete all of them?

Well I record stuff. :)

It doesn´t work, I deleted everything from iTunes, but the files stay in the iPhone. :(

I don´t understand the SSH, I don´t jailbreak my phone.

It takes three finger keystrokes (in different places) to delete one file. I´m not going to start doing this procedure hundreds of times. This is so stupid, how can Apple let something like this slide? :eek:

allaboutmusic

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Probably because they understand that it's a pretty worthless app to begin with.

For a songwriter like me, it's one of my most used apps. Before they introduced Voice Memos, I had to try several different third party options, all of which were much more fiddly to sync.

OP - maybe iPhone Explorer or similar will help.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Probably because they understand that it's a pretty worthless app to begin with.

We got an Einstein here. :rolleyes:

If it´s worthless to you, does it make it worthless to others? No.

In fact it´s the most used and valuable app in my iPhone.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
If it´s worthless to you, does it make it worthless to others? No.

In fact it´s the most used and valuable app in my iPhone.

It's worthless to Apple, and that's really the only thing that matters when it comes to their products - or haven't you learned that by now?

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
It's worthless to Apple, and that's really the only thing that matters when it comes to their products - or haven't you learned that by now?

Oh sorry Mr.Jobs, I didn't realise you were in this thread. Thanks for clearing up how Apple feels about an app that they put on their, I mean your, phone.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009

Thanks for the insight! Now move along unless you have some more of these deep research insights... like I don´t know... maybe how to delete all Voice Memos at once from the iPhone?

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
If removing them from iTunes didn't work, SSH is the next best option. You will need to jailbreak your phone but that will only take 5 minutes.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
If removing them from iTunes didn't work, SSH is the next best option. You will need to jailbreak your phone but that will only take 5 minutes.

Thanks, but I don´t want to jailbreak my phone.

How can I contact Apple with this? This is absurd.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Thanks! But why close the thread? And who are you to decide that anyways.

It´s a valid thread of a obvious stupid flaw in "the best phone in the world".

Close thread because there is no fix so you should just send feedback. I also sent feedback today about a "Kill All Apps" for multi tasking because it takes a while to delete all the open apps.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Close thread because there is no fix so you should just send feedback.

Well that is not certain, that´s why it´s important to keep the thread alive. Maybe someone knows the solution.

I also sent feedback today about a "Kill All Apps" for multi tasking because it takes a while to delete all the open apps.

My sarcasm meter isn´t working so good today. Is this sarcasm or do you actually need a *facepalm*?

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Well that is not certain, that´s why it´s important to keep the thread alive. Maybe someone knows the solution.

Do you even have an iPhone? Of course there is no solution. You can't delete more than one at a time, period. It's not like some obscure feature where you can shake the phone when in the list. It's an Apple app - that means you what you see is what you get. It has six buttons - it's as simple as it gets. Someone needs to give you the facepalm.

Jbravo

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
All at once! :eek:

I got few hundred Voice Memos in my iPhone and I´m not about to start deleting them one at a time.

So please tell how is this done?

No one has the answer for this mystery?

I think you can use iFunBox to delete the voice memos. http://i-funbox.com/
I haven't tried it yet to delete files, but I use it to copy files from my iPhone outside of iTunes

datagroove

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Phoneview will work, I just tested it out by deleting 100+ recordings on my 3gs iphone.

I did have one issue though. After deleting the files with phoneview the voice memo app on the phone still listed all the previously deleted recordings. The data/audio was not there (pressing pay did not play audio) so in order to refresh the list in voice memo I simply recorded a new memo.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
maybe apples intentions are you would delete them as you no longer need them not after you have hundreds you dont need, delete all would cause more problems then good from accidently hit it, atleast this way you can only accidently delete one at a time

SomeH0w

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
I'm sorry I have to bump this thread

But I think I found an answer for it (provided no one else did for you).
At the itunes click on your phone device and check "manually manage music and video" :D
And then delete all your voice memos as you wish

FarhanRizvi

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Deleting all voice memos

No one really posted a good reply to this thread with definite instructions. So if there's anyone out there who comes across this problem I hope what worked for me will also work for you. Download ifunbox here: http://www.i-funbox.com/ Connect you iPhone or other iDevice and expand your device in the left hand side column. Go into voice memos (above system applications), delete everything except the SYNC folder. And all your voice memos are gone!

Took about 3-5 minutes. :)

Don't ever say a Muslim didn't help you out ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.