Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
Offcorse I did the REBOOT! Press the home and Sleep buttons for 10 secs until the power off bar disapears...am I right?

But actually I did opened Cydia just after the patch...should I clear and re-patch again?

i don't see how it could hurt to retry. i just rebooted by pressing the lock button until the slide to reboot message came up. shouldn't matter though.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
anyone know if a commcenter from 4.0.1 will work in 4.0? I really don't feel like upgrading to 4.0.1 if I don't have to. (I hate how the new bars look, and there's no actual bug fixes afaik)

Just go to 4.01, apply the patch of this thread, and then change the bars back using the method in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/971615/

Make sure you’ve stored your SHSH blobs before going to 4.01.

dougbrowne

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Hmm... Doesn't seem to work for me.. iPhone 4 on 4.01. I followed all the instructions very carefully and use AT&T. I rebooted multiple times, tried repatching with the deb (which caused it to say that I already installed this patch), re-replacing the carrier.plist, etc... All this, and multiple reboots and tethering is still not enabled.. Any ideas? (I'm not a noob either, I manage multiple linux servers through ssh)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Hmm... Doesn't seem to work for me.. iPhone 4 on 4.01. I followed all the instructions very carefully and use AT&T. I rebooted multiple times, tried repatching with the deb (which caused it to say that I already installed this patch), re-replacing the carrier.plist, etc... All this, and multiple reboots and tethering is still not enabled.. Any ideas? (I'm not a noob either, I manage multiple linux servers through ssh)

You reset network settings, I gather? You could try starting all over (restoring, JBing, and then try this again). It should have worked.

The Reason

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Mine worked, I can tether via USB fine, but bluetooth will not work....

2 different MBP's using bluetooth setup wizard, see iphone, creates Bluetooth PAN network in Networking, when i click connect, it either gives me a no IP address message, or self assigned, and the internet doesn't work....

help!

dougbrowne

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
You reset network settings, I gather? You could try starting all over (restoring, JBing, and then try this again). It should have worked.

I did, yes. Multiple times infact :(

Restoring and JBing all over again is not what I'm looking for. I've installed so many customizations and apps and stuff that I'd hate to have to redo :mad:

Hmm.

EDIT: Just broke something, now it's stuck at apple logo. Guess I have to restore afterall :d

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I did, yes. Multiple times infact :(

Restoring and JBing all over again is not what I'm looking for. I've installed so many customizations and apps and stuff that I'd hate to have to redo :mad:

Hmm.

EDIT: Just broke something, now it's stuck at apple logo. Guess I have to restore afterall :d

Sorry to hear about the breakage. Hopefully you have PkgBackup (great app).

dougbrowne

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Sorry to hear about the breakage. Hopefully you have PkgBackup (great app).

Unfortunately not :(

What happened was, I tried to uninstall the cc patch using dpkg -r <patchname> which did indeed remove it, but I realized that I probably should have just replaced the comcenter with my backup.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008

Did you download the plist file from link in the OP's post or did you edit yourself? For some reason the link to the carrier.plist in the first post does not download a modified plist file. I tried both sites. But under the APN settings, the integer value was still set to 4. Open up that plist file and change 4 to 55 (i changed to 55 cause that one also included VVM but OP says 53 so you choose; 55 works fine for me). Save it and then do a reset of your network settings. I also did a reboot after the reset finished.

That got it working for me.

organsoup

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009
First off thanks for the instructions. I followed them exactly but I'm running into weird issues. Using windows 7 w/latest itunes and a ip4 running 4.0.1. When i enable tethering and plug it into my computer, the blue bar appears on the phone but I still don't get internet access on the computer. When i look at the network devices i see that the apple ethernet device has an IP of 169.254.22.48 which of course means it's not properly obtaining an IP via dhcp.

Any ideas? I've tried resetting network settings again, rebooting phone and computer, removing ethernet device and letting it reinstall, etc, etc... im stumped.

solved my issue. forgot i had pdanet installed as well. uninstalled pdanet from phone and computer and tethering works perfectly.

The Reason

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Mine worked, I can tether via USB fine, but bluetooth will not work....

2 different MBP's using bluetooth setup wizard, see iphone, creates Bluetooth PAN network in Networking, when i click connect, it either gives me a no IP address message, or self assigned, and the internet doesn't work....

help!

no help here?

dougbrowne

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
restored, rejailbroke, did everything all over again. I modified the plist myself and set the typemask integer to 55. reset network settings, rebooted again, etc. Still no tethering... :confused:

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I've run into one little issue....

I can't get USB tethering to work/be recognized. Bluetooth tethering working fine. I'd rather have USB, as it charges and uses the tether cable and process all at the same time....

After following the instructions, my MacBook Pro initially popped up a 'network adapter interface added' message for me via only having the iPhone connected to my MacBook Pro via the USB cable, but now it's always telling me that the interface doesn't have the USB cable attached. I only got this message after the 'reset network settings' part of the instructions, and then rebooting the iPhone, and turning the tethering option on and clicking USB.

I've tried resetting the network settings on the iPhone. I've also rebooted my MBP. I've tried different USB ports. Even deleted the network adapter it created to try to start the process over. I do know the cable works....I can sync via iTunes, and it's charging.

I did save the .plist file and the comm center subdirectory. Should I start over?

I could just use BT tethering, but have the USB cable to charge....but that's 'clunky' to me :eek:

Any ideas?

Didn't read anything that helped on my situation either.....so just throwing it out there again. Even did some Google searches on it last night, ended up reading some Apple forum posts......but none of their ideas helped either.

Some additional info. 3Gs on 4.0.1. Using latest iTunes, but OS X v10.5.8 (latest version for 10.5 OS X) on my MacBook Pro. No PDAnet, and no MiWi trial ever installed.

3Gs was at 3.1.2 (via blackra1n and tethered jailbreak). When updating to 4.0.1, it was set up as a new iPhone, not a restore from backup.

One interesting thing.....when I plug in the USB cable, I can see the iPhone MAC address get populated in the Network settings preference panel of my MacBook Pro. But, no IP address gets assigned to the adapter (on the MBP), and I can't tether via USB. When I do this process via BlueTooth, I also see the MAC address of the iPhone get assigned to the adapter created (looking at the Network setting on the MBP), but then the IP address gets assigned and I can tether (blue bar at top).

I could restore and start all over....but trying to avoid that if I can (2-3 hour process with all the music and apps I have on my 32g iPhone).

Is USB tethering faster than BlueTooth tethering?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Do you need to keep internet tethering off when you aren't using it or can you just leave it on all the time?

zul277

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2005
Facetime

I added this in carrier plist to activate facetime for my UK iphone 4. Works well. Registration within seconds outside of the UK

<key>PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress</key>
<string>+447786205094</string>
<key>RegistrationOptInRequired</key>
<true/>

NttDocomo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Hi I followed OP's instructions and was able to get the Internet Tethering manual. I turned it on and Windows 7 was able to recognize a new Network Connection. But it keeps trying to identify the network and when I browse the status of the new Network Connection it shows as connected but there's only data going out and 0 data coming in. The status pane also displays that there is "No Internet Access".

I have turned off Wifi on my iPhone and made sure 3G is on. Does anyone know what is missing here? Do I need to install an APN Profile?

I also tried downloading and install a Profile from help.benm.at but after the profile is installed, the Internet Tethering option disappears. Very strange :(

Any help is appreciated thanks!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Hi I followed OP's instructions and was able to get the Internet Tethering manual. I turned it on and Windows 7 was able to recognize a new Network Connection. But it keeps trying to identify the network and when I browse the status of the new Network Connection it shows as connected but there's only data going out and 0 data coming in. The status pane also displays that there is "No Internet Access".

I have turned off Wifi on my iPhone and made sure 3G is on. Does anyone know what is missing here? Do I need to install an APN Profile?

I also tried downloading and install a Profile from help.benm.at but after the profile is installed, the Internet Tethering option disappears. Very strange :(

Any help is appreciated thanks!

You should have just followed the directions and left it that as far as your iPhone goes. I’m not sure what your other changes did. Anyway, after you get this method on the iPhone your problem lies in Windows 7. I had a similar problem on Vista with tethering my 3G and then for some reason it just started working after connecting it a number of times. I’m not sure I rebooted or not, but it didn’t happen the first time I connected.

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
I have an Orange iPhone4 which i have jailbroken/unlocked and now has a working O2 sim in it.

Now to get visual voicemail e.t.c working i have copied the contents of the O2 plist file and placed them into the Orange one, which seems to have worked and given me Visual Voicemail back as well as working data/mms.

However i am unable to get tethering working. I have the option showing, but it is the "please contact o2 to setup tethering option.

I have tried changing the com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist file, which on a reboot make it possible to enable the tethering, but as soon as i connect the USB cable it reverts backs.

I have atempted to edit the mask numbers in the plist file, but i am not entirely sure what i should be changing them to, this is what is in the plist file:

<array>
<dict>
<key>apn</key>
<string>idata.o2.co.uk</string>
<key>password</key>
<string>password</string>
<key>signature</key>
<data>
GeaLtsvOnXvW3kkgR1u9ZReIxNPSIi0U8VykiqShszVUkAdkGAhB
7V/fIvaaa5qAf1hpvSfsDRuzaVRUOkRMa0LiUqXh/1Cmor2LPFax
RGO3UFinhsbprKNDMR45MJoT3wpFIRp2UPcRZz0fdq1+/WNAn1io
7ge1hjHQMAukpOM=
</data>
<key>type-mask</key>
<integer>7</integer>
<key>username</key>
<string>vertigo</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>apn</key>
<string>modem.o2.co.uk</string>
<key>password</key>
<key>signature</key>
<data>
Ne3oLHRBBGvdO13jct5HeubJOm6NNG5MV6GMVRo3WMqJY1DNhVVd
WaI98TDYF9OEZg8IUydzGG4mtqV+dkS7KzjmPF99fQFIwyl5+ZZ1
86g9LFo8ctQMqFta5CjwSTjxr1JXJ61jGJw6EyydWvjHEsBIkIHy
hHxtTuWwRF7WH78=
</data>
<key>type-mask</key>
<integer>48</integer>
<key>username</key>
<string>vertigo</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>apn</key>
<string>idata.o2.co.uk</string>
<key>password</key>
<key>signature</key>
<data>
YfgsdRCjHWkt1z2h9lGvckOn2wAgR0rEOZfdC7nfhjzvvylth6ZU
X6j0cu72lwUH0q5cSXGJA/jB0m3j2wuzfm6eDf3rwVhnohCwfhFK
S/zP53qpTfkGGeWPDjfO9n4mKYa9rKj7sAyOp9N3TFecQYvRfO36
o9PlHRjJIzEZw/Y=
</data>
<key>type-mask</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>username</key>
<string>vertigo</string>
</dict>
</array>

Any ideas what i should be changing those masks to??

Many thanks

Gareth

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.