Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Hmm, interestingly my com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist keeps reverting back to.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>State</key>
<integer>1021</integer>
<key>Version</key>
<integer>2</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

gazzer82

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Ha it works!!

If anyone is on O2 UK, if you change the APN section of the plist file to:

<array>
<dict>
<key>apn</key>
<string>idata.o2.co.uk</string>
<key>password</key>
<string>password</string>
<key>signature</key>
<data>
GeaLtsvOnXvW3kkgR1u9ZReIxNPSIi0U8VykiqShszVUkAdkGAhB
7V/fIvaaa5qAf1hpvSfsDRuzaVRUOkRMa0LiUqXh/1Cmor2LPFax
RGO3UFinhsbprKNDMR45MJoT3wpFIRp2UPcRZz0fdq1+/WNAn1io
7ge1hjHQMAukpOM=
</data>
<key>type-mask</key>
<integer>55</integer>
<key>username</key>
<string>vertigo</string>
</dict>
</array>

and then edit the com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist to.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>State</key>
<integer>1021</integer>
<key>Version</key>
<integer>2</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Then reset network settings on the phone and allow it to reboot.

Bam, you can now enable tethering, and as it going out over the same APN as the phone data i would imagine it's quite hard to spot unless your ridiculous with it.

MMS, Facetime, VVM all tested and working!

Cheers

Gareth

OCJeff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Now we need to either edit your carrier.plist or replace it with the one below (for AT&T only).
here's the link to the carrier.plist file: http://www.multiupload.com/2OXWAIQ594 (AGAIN AT&T only)

The file provided had the "type-mask" integer value set to "4" which did not allow VVM, MMS or data. I had to modify this (on AT&T) to "55" to get all of these to work (as per the URL provided in the OP).

Is that right? After making that change VVM and MMS started working. Data also resumed (email download).

-Jeff

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
The file provided had the "type-mask" integer value set to "4" which did not allow VVM, MMS or data. I had to modify this (on AT&T) to "55" to get all of these to work (as per the URL provided in the OP).

Is that right? After making that change VVM and MMS started working. Data also resumed (email download).

-Jeff

Mine works fine just replacing the carrier.plist... No editing at all

If you see, the way they group them on the APNS section
APN phone - 49 = Tethering and Data
APN acds.voicemail = 2 = VVM only
APN wap.cingular = 4 = MMS only

Of course 55 activates everything but I'm just curious why it's not working on your phone the first time heh...

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
Thanks, this works on my iMac. But, unfortunately, it doesn't work on my iBook G4, which makes it useless. Stupid iBook G4. :p

Zell84

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
Just wanted to say thanks for this write up. I'm not experienced at all when it comes to SSH and such but this made it all basically simple. And I'm happy i didn't pay to upgrade MyWi. Excited to remove MyWi and Rock from my phone for good.
BTW, I'm running 4.0.1 on a 3GS, and I had to do the editing option, but even that went smooth. Thanks again.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Ok this worked the first time I plugged my phone up but now when I plug it up to my computer with internet tethering on nothing happens. My computer doesn't think the phone is connected.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Ok this worked the first time I plugged my phone up but now when I plug it up to my computer with internet tethering on nothing happens. My computer doesn't think the phone is connected.

Once you enable tethering and plug the USB to your phone, try to go to System Preference and go to Network icon.

Then, see whether there is any iPhone on the left side along with Ethernet/Firewire/Airport. If not, press the + button and see whether you can make a new connection with "iPhone USB". Once you do that don't forget to Press Apply....

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Once you enable tethering and plug the USB to your phone, try to go to System Preference and go to Network icon.

Then, see whether there is any iPhone on the left side along with Ethernet/Firewire/Airport. If not, press the + button and see whether you can make a new connection with "iPhone USB". Once you do that don't forget to Press Apply....

For some reason it's working again. I reset network settings and set up Bluetooth tethering. Then plugged up the phone again and USB was working again.

hlysmksbtmn

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
I tried using the replacement carrier.plist, restarting and it didn't work. However when I used my original carrier.plist, this worked fine. I do see a broadband entry under APNs though.

1. Am i going to be charged by ATT if I keep this broadband entry?
2. Is it necessary to replace the carrier.plist? or are other people using the original one?

Zratm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
First off I want to extend my sincere gratitude for this instructional. I did this a while ago on my 3gs, so its been a while. Everything worked great I dont have the USB tethering working yet, but Bluetooth is just fine. I will do some digging to find out whats up on my mac. I have a 3g that reacts the same way, ie have to use Bluetooth. As soon as I (hopefully) find the problem I will report back. One note, I did have the change the wap.cingular number to 52 for the tethering button to show up, this may or may not help anyone but I thought I would throw that out. Now I can give up MyWi since I only have 5 days of the trial left!

Z

Just a follow up to my previous post: I finally got USB Tethering to work, for those of you with a MAC, open Network Preferences, Then make a new connection (Assist Me, Assistant), Name your Location, select: I connect to my Local Area Network. This should get Iphone USB to show up in your Network Prefences and come on. Hope this helps.

rohan076

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Weird Problem

I've got tethering working and all. But there is one problem.

Tethering works fine, if I reboot my iPhone and switch on internet tethering and connect my iPhone to my laptop, I donot see the blue "internet tethering" bar below the status bar and I donot get connected! but as soon as I open ifunbox.exe, a iphone browser utility, I see the blue bar and I can use my iPhone's internet (3G) connections.

Anyone know why this is happening???

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Today my MMS broke... I disabled tethering and MMS works again. Weird thing is though, MMS worked fine yesterday. I've tried pretty much every type-mask possible, but I can't get MMS and tethering to work simultaneously.

edit: turns out ultrasn0w was the issue. Uninstalled that, and everything works properly.

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
Today my MMS broke... I disabled tethering and MMS works again. Weird thing is though, MMS worked fine yesterday. I've tried pretty much every type-mask possible, but I can't get MMS and tethering to work simultaneously.

edit: turns out ultrasn0w was the issue. Uninstalled that, and everything works properly.

after pulling my hair out trying this and that, modifying my ipccs, reinstalling the orig comm center and repatching, nothing was working. finally checked this thread again and saw this post. uninstalled ultrasn0w (which i don't need anyways) and all is good again. THANKS for figuring this out :)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
after pulling my hair out trying this and that, modifying my ipccs, reinstalling the orig comm center and repatching, nothing was working. finally checked this thread again and saw this post. uninstalled ultrasn0w (which i don't need anyways) and all is good again. THANKS for figuring this out :)

Glad I could help! yea I don't really need ultrasn0w either for the most part. Thing is, I do travel internationally every now and then, and it'd be nice to be able to use my iPhone without paying at&t through the nose for international rates.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Glad I could help! yea I don't really need ultrasn0w either for the most part. Thing is, I do travel internationally every now and then, and it'd be nice to be able to use my iPhone without paying at&t through the nose for international rates.

ultrasn0w does modify your commcenter hence this patch won't work as this method requires commcenter + carrier.plist being on the same page.

Now, if you find the other thread about enabling tethering WITHOUT patching commcenter (aka only editing a bunch of .plist files), it should work even with ultrasn0w

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
ultrasn0w does modify your commcenter hence this patch won't work as this method requires commcenter + carrier.plist being on the same page.

Now, if you find the other thread about enabling tethering WITHOUT patching commcenter (aka only editing a bunch of .plist files), it should work even with ultrasn0w

from what I've read, it doesn't patch it on the iPhone 4 though

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
from what I've read, it doesn't patch it on the iPhone 4 though

Well I'm not sure then. I always thought unlocking baseband requires patching commcenter but I'm not the dev so I don't want to be a jackass and insist ;)

Have you tried using that other method I listed above with an unlocked iPhone 4? Does it work? I'm curious myself

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't get this step. Where do I have to type this?

Either in the ssh prompt or in mobile terminal itself (make sure you're logged in as root)

Well I'm not sure then. I always thought unlocking baseband requires patching commcenter but I'm not the dev so I don't want to be a jackass and insist ;)

Have you tried using that other method I listed above with an unlocked iPhone 4? Does it work? I'm curious myself

I haven't tried, don't really want to mess with something that's not broken lol.

Zratm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
I have an iphone 4 with the new ultrasn0w installed and I am on AT&T. If you follow the instructions to a tee it all works (USB and Bluetooth). I did set my apns settings to 55.

FLAVAH

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
worked perfectly! im tethering my reply right now! don't know if it was posted already, but if you want to access the command line from your mac, just open up terminal and type "ssh root@_______" where you fill in the blank with your IP address (no quotes)! awesome! now my phone is back to where i want it to be!

rohan076

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I've got tethering working and all. But there is one problem.

Tethering works fine, if I reboot my iPhone and switch on internet tethering and connect my iPhone to my laptop, I donot see the blue "internet tethering" bar below the status bar and I donot get connected! but as soon as I open ifunbox.exe, a iphone browser utility, I see the blue bar and I can use my iPhone's internet (3G) connections.

Anyone know why this is happening???

any help guys?? I restored my iPhone 4 ios 4.01 and tried again, same issue. i switch on tethering on the iphone and nothing happens, as soon as i open ifunbox on my laptop, i see the blue bar on the iphone. I'm running windown 7 64bit btw.

ynnoj

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Is this confirmed as working on O2? Desperate for iPad tethering, but apprehensive to jailbreak and try this method.

Also, the site with the source file appears to be down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.