Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
you think that apple should of added widgets already on iphone 4?

you think will see this soon?

maybe 5.0?

lockscreen needs this for sure..home screen i say at least 2/3 page for widgets..

would you want apple to do this?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Personally I don't even use Widgets on my Mac. I'm a huge minimalist and prefer everything to be neat and tidy.

If they introduced the feature, along with live wallpapers I'd disable both. No need for me to use them. :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Don't the basic apps like weather, calculator, etc. already function like widgets?

Otherwise, the screen is much too small to display multiple widgets at once.

Jas1222

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I want widgets NOW.

Cydgets are rubbish and I don't want to wait another year for Widgets.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The main problem I see with Widgets on iPhone is that the Home Screen (Springboard) simply wasn't designed with them in mind from Day 1.

You just have a basic grid of icons. If you were to start adding widgets the whole home screen would probably need a rethink.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
yeah that video wallpaper is a big fat batt killer...its nice to look at for a second but who sits a watch video wallpaper when you need to use the phone for important calls/email ect...

i think apple wont do widgets due to battery life..i have widgets on mine im jailbroken i adjust my settings and i seem to be fine with batt life..i just dont over kill it

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
I would enjoy it if the Weather app updated at set (user-defined) intervals to the current temperature and conditions.

At least the Calendar app updates to the current date.

Aside from that, the Weather is the only one I'd be interested in seeing without a click.

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
I would enjoy it if the Weather app updated at set (user-defined) intervals to the current temperature and conditions.

At least the Calendar app updates to the current date.

Aside from that, the Weather is the only one I'd be interested in seeing without a click.
This is what I want too. Show me the temperature and a simple image for the weather (sun, cloud, storm, etc.) I would keep that on the home screen and be happy.

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Here we go with the argument, 'Just because I don't use it, no one else should'. The same argument was made for copy/paste, multitasking, LED flash, and a front-facing camera. Change is good!

Non-static icons are a MUST for the iPhone, now that the resolution is perfect for it. Please stop displaying 73 degrees on my home screen, and stop displaying 10:15 on my clock.

get a driod.
No thanks.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Add a single Dashboard icon.

The 'Dashboard app' could be similar to the Weather app, only instead of flicking through the same Weather widget and changing cities, you would flick through different widgets.

Oh and this way they could get rid of a couple of the apps that take up space on the home screen. I'm looking at you Stocks and Compass!

cwubbels

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2008
Widgets would be pretty helpful, and add a little more style to the homescreen. For instance, (not that I care as I don't use twitter/facebook much) have a social networking widget that updates current tweets/updates. Sure not everyone would use it, but options are nice.

Another popular one could be weather... Not that it is extremely important, but hey why not?

You can apply this to multiple apps that could provide useful information in a quick, pretty way right on the homescreen.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Please no dashboard for iPhone! I personally would like basic widgets on the lock screen. Pull my iPhone out of my pocket, hit the sleep/wake button and see either a calendar for the day, recent texts, or weather along with the time (depending on personalized Settings.) Makes it a two second process to look up basic info, then I can put it back in my pocket.

And if you don't want that, you can disable it.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
I said this before. Have them at the lock screen. One widget on each side of the time. You can choose between calendar, weather, stocks, and mail. Tapping it would also expand it by making the top area drop down to cover the lock screen wallpaper.

malim

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I love widget

I think widget is good. I can peek on the weather without opening the apps, I can check the currency exchange, I can peek the news, check who,s updating their facebook etc...

I don't need widget on desktop but for a mobile device I think widget is essential. That's what make mobile devices and desktop different. Mobile devices should make our day to day information and communication easy and less hassle.

I think ios would be perfect with a bit of widget and a bit of customization on the end user part.

Yes ios is simple but sometimes simple can be too boring... I've been holding my purchase of iphone and I decided to give android a chance to grow with me. I have an ipad and I am testing it against my newly Dell Streak.

One thing that I love about the Apple product is it industrial design of the physical product.. not so much of it os...

So after a brief comparison I can say that I love android os concept. You can download the apps and it will be kept at home section and you only need any application that you want to be on the pages by inserting the widget or the shortcut of the apps. I think that is a good thing as I don't like all the apps that I've downloaded appear on the screen. It would be very much discreet in that sense and you can personalise your device based on your requirement.

I think that what mobile devices is all about. It's about personalization, customization and flexibility to adapt to your understanding of how the device will help you get your job done.

Beauty alone won't solve the user centered design issues and sometimes too rigid would lead to a future development problem. The whole ecosystem of ios is fine probably at the moment but in a long term it might be not as new mobile oses emerge such as meego, bada, android etc... where this oses taking consideration of user experiences.

What important for users is how this mobile devices will make them efficient. For me ios must grow into more flexible oses. If issues such as widget claimed to drained the battery than I think it is not a big issues. System can be very efficient if properly program and battery technology is always growing. So I don't think that reason alone can stay long for apple not to expand it ios features.

if the battery life of iphone is as long as other android phones or not that far better, than I don't think widget or multitasking is a culprit of a battery issue but it is more of the OS efficiency.

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
I could see Apple impementing some restricted "Apple-ized" widget system, maybe like enabling a 2x2 "live icon" or something that a lot of people will complain about, but ultimately will seem to suffice the needs of most users

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.