Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adomanico18

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
SF Bay Area/Hamilton, ON
If anyone has a swelling battery in their macbook just pop it in the fridge for 8 hours on an empty charge and the swelling magically disappears!

Anyone else have success with this?

twilightrose

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
If anyone has a swelling battery in their macbook just pop it in the fridge for 8 hours on an empty charge and the swelling magically disappears!

Anyone else have success with this?

This sounds rather dangerous...for any laptop, more-so on a laptop that has a glass screen...

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
Bulging/swelling lithium-ion batteries are dangerous and, as far as I know, Apple will replace them free of charge.

TZRaceR6

Jun 8, 2010
United Kingdom
The posts I've been reading have stated that apple won't replace bulging batteries that are out of warranty.

If under 3 years of buying your computer, you shouldn't have an issue. After 3 years, the Apple store may balk, but you never know. Could run into a nice employee that hooks you up?!?

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
This isn't a solution. You're curing the symptom, not the disease. What you suggest is dangerous, potentially very so. Li-polymer and Li-ion batteries are complex chemical cells. If the voltage is allowed to go too-low, the cells break down and give off hydrogen gas. This is the swelling in the battery. Putting it in the freezer, you're just reducing the volume (and allowing for some adsorption) of the hydrogen. It's still there. If you were to use this battery, the hydrogen can potentially ignite, starting a fire.

Once a battery swells, it needs to be properly disposed. Treat it as an ignition source, and don't let it near flammable items.

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
This isn't a solution. You're curing the symptom, not the disease. What you suggest is dangerous, potentially very so. Li-polymer and Li-ion batteries are complex chemical cells. If the voltage is allowed to go too-low, the cells break down and give off hydrogen gas. This is the swelling in the battery. Putting it in the freezer, you're just reducing the volume (and allowing for some adsorption) of the hydrogen. It's still there. If you were to use this battery, the hydrogen can potentially ignite, starting a fire.

Once a battery swells, it needs to be properly disposed. Treat it as an ignition source, and don't let it near flammable items.

Not to mention putting the battery in the freezer could cause some moisture buildup that you may miss when you wipe it down after. If anyone tries this, be sure to just leave the battery out for a couple hours to use it to let everything evaporate.

Saumya Gupta

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2015
The posts I've been reading have stated that apple won't replace bulging batteries that are out of warranty.
I have a lithium ion battery that has swollen due to overcharging. Can it be fixed? Can I use this swollen battery to supply 12V to my circuit .What should I do if I don't have a spare? Can I simply fix this battery?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I have a lithium ion battery that has swollen due to overcharging. Can it be fixed? Can I use this swollen battery to supply 12V to my circuit .What should I do if I don't have a spare? Can I simply fix this battery?

The battery needs to be replaced and properly disposed of. A swollen battery can explode and/or start a fire.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
This is extremely dangerous and negligent advice. If your battery is swelling it is telling you it has failed and is on its way to a catastrophic failure.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
That battery could start a fire. It should be disposed of properly, and soon.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Why would anyone want to put something that is dangerous and could release chemical in a frig? It's really a stupid idea. You may end up needing to replace the frig unless you don't mind eating foods with those chemical...replace the frig ill cost more than the battery!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.