Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to AppleInsider, the next revision to Apple's OS X 10.3 Panther operating system is expected within the next 30 days. Enhancements are said to be in Networking, OpenGL, Updated ATI & NVidia graphics card drivers, additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility, and improved compatibility for third party applications. Also expected are updated versions of Apple's Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications, as well as previous standalone Mac OS X security updates.

Cannibal

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2004
bradford, ri
still giddy...

i'm just excited to actually be on a computer that CAN be use the new updates...

have i mentioned how much i love my new iMac?

-Cannibal-
:D

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
All I wanna know is when the hell is CHESS going to be updated?! I think we've waited long enough!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
this can very well be true - at least firewire audio updates MUST be significant, as there are severe problems with pro audio apps with the 10.3.5 version, compared to the 10.3.4 which is imho the best osx version so far.

bring it on, even with the feature set of 10.3.5 only having all bugs worked out.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
or... why hasn't anyone yet said this: this must mean the new G5 powerbook is on its way :D :D :D

(i must admit, i feel a little ashamed in joking about this. the G5 will eventually make its way into powerbooks and the day will come when it comes. no need to hype it, seriously.)

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
mikeyrogers said:
As always, I'm looking forward to the OpenGL updates even though I will never admit that a PowerBook G4 does not make a good gaming machine. :D
heh. I'm definitely with you there. games run wonderfully on my powerbook... really...

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
10.3.6 update? Cool. Finder already feels snappier. :D

Seriously though, I feel like Apple is gonna release something new tomorrow. Not necessarily 10.3.6, but possibly iTMS Pan-Euro? maybe 60GB iPod? Flash iPod? New eMacs? I dunno, things have been quiet. . . too quiet.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
munkle said:
Yeah, I remember reading some article lambasting the Calculator, apparently it's wildly off on some sums.

Technically, it's not doing mis-calculations, but how it presents the answer to the user, by default, is a bit unexpected leading people to believe the answer is wrong. It's not.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
coolfactor said:
Technically, it's not doing mis-calculations, but how it presents the answer to the user, by default, is a bit unexpected leading people to believe the answer is wrong. It's not.

Technically, what's the difference? The answer isn't wrong, just how it's written down, which in turn the simple layman reads wrongly?! :confused:

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I usually do a clean install when I do these updates. I didn't with 10.3.5 and have had a lot of crashes etc. I don't know if anyone else has has worse luck with 10.3.5 than previous minor revisions - input would be nice. I do hope that a simple update to 10.3.6 fixes these bugs but don't think it will happen.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
comictimes said:
heh. I'm definitely with you there. games run wonderfully on my powerbook... really...

Games run fine on mine, but I guess I don't play anything more intensive than wc3. Mainly it's just for school and simplistic video editing / DVD making

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
MacFan26 said:
ripple issue?

With the ati cards, the screen will ripple when scrolling. It's not overly bad, just annoying. I have read it is a driver issue.

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
Updates to 3rd party apps.....

Hope this fixes my Entourage crashes - the only programme that goes nuts on my PB 17"... have been running Activity Monitor to see what is going on - even when Ent is open but parked in the dock the damn thing is hogging CPU and memory like it owns the place..

Which makes everything else run a bit more slowly...

That's the only problem I've got/had with my Mac's in the past five years and I'm onto number 5....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.