Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

friendlyghost

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2002
Is it possible to use an Apple display like the 20" or 23" version as a tv? I'm talking about doing so without a computer attached.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Re: Can an Apple Display be used as a tv?

If you're not hooking it up to a computer what would you propose to hook it up to?

The Apple displays do not have analog inputs, only ADC (older) or DVI (current) so connecting to a composite, S-Video or component output of a VCR or DVD player or satellite tuner is out.

The new Apple Cinema displays do have a DVI input, so potentially could hook to a high-end DVD player with DVI out. Maybe someone who has tried this can comment about how well it works.

Otherwise you would have to look at some outboard box to convert the signal, considerably more trouble than its worth. Most convertors go to VGA (analog) outputs, so that's no good. Here's a high end one for professionbal video on the Cinema display: http://www.ecinemasys.com/products/edp100/edp100_intro.htm

Or go with a Mac-based TV solution like EyeTV 200 and Formac Studio TVR

bdomz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
It seems to me than any HDTV receiver that has DVI output would work. (provided you have an Apple Cinema dislplay with DVI input).

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
CanadaRAM said:
Or go with a Mac-based TV solution like EyeTV 200 and Formac Studio TVR

do any of them really work?
i checked them out briefly
as a user- what would i need?
aside from the monitor and the box?
do i need cable? satelite? or does it download the stuff off the web?

how's it work?
is it worth it?
etc-
anyone use these things?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I use EyeTV

I have a USB EyeTv, I use it all the time, and it works great. I understand that the firewire versions, like EyeTV 200, are even better (better video quality).

EyeTV USB and 200 connect to either cable or antenna. There are other versions that connect to digital cable, satellite, etc, and they now have one that receives HDTV.

In my case, I connect my cable to the EyeTV box, then connect the box to my computer with a USB cable - that's it. You can watch live tv full screen or in a resizeable window (and pause/rewind/etc like Tivo) or you can program it to record and watch later.

The video quality on the USB version is like low-end VHS; the audio is good. They use MPEG-1 in order to keep the data stream small enough for USB. The firewire version uses MPEG-2, same as DVDs - better quality but larger file sizes. USB version uses about 660Mb for an hour of TV. Don't know about the firewire version.

Programming is really easy. There's a searchable tv listing web interface, and you just click on the shows you want and EyeTV will record them for you. It's nice to have several hours of TV of your choice on your laptop!

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
bdomz said:
It seems to me than any HDTV receiver that has DVI output would work. (provided you have an Apple Cinema dislplay with DVI input).

That seems to be the case but it's really not. You still need a scaling device between the HDTV tuner and the Apple Cinema Display - the same device linked by CanadaRAM.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
James L said:
Wouldn't it be WAY cheaper just to buy a tv?

:D

Yes.

Although the Cinema displays look phenominal when hooked up to a HD source, to use it with a Satelite/Cable box requires a scaler, which cost $1200-$1500

You could always buy the HP L2335 monitor, it is exactly the same panel as the Apple Displays, plus it has a built in scaler with s-video, component and composite imputs for HD. I use the L2335 at work, and have the 23 cinema at home, and for computer use the panels are identical. I have not tried to hook up an HD source to the HP, but from what I understand since the disply, (as well as Apple's) is not real 16x9 (16x9 is 1920x1080) and the native rez of the display is 1920x1200, so it will stretch the pixels to fit the screen. It does this even with SD content, but I would imagine the strecthing factor wouldn't be as noticable with HD content, since it closer to the same aspect than SD.

Anyway, yes you can use the Apple Display's as a TV, but you can't just hook it up to a DVD player or Satelite/Cable box with DVI out, it jsut won't work.

p.s. use the search, this is probably the 10th time I have replied to this same question in ten different threads :rolleyes:

ZaniCWB

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Brazil
sandman42 said:
I have a USB EyeTv, I use it all the time, and it works great. I understand that the firewire versions, like EyeTV 200, are even better (better video quality).

EyeTV USB and 200 connect to either cable or antenna. There are other versions that connect to digital cable, satellite, etc, and they now have one that receives HDTV.

In my case, I connect my cable to the EyeTV box, then connect the box to my computer with a USB cable - that's it. You can watch live tv full screen or in a resizeable window (and pause/rewind/etc like Tivo) or you can program it to record and watch later.

The video quality on the USB version is like low-end VHS; the audio is good. They use MPEG-1 in order to keep the data stream small enough for USB. The firewire version uses MPEG-2, same as DVDs - better quality but larger file sizes. USB version uses about 660Mb for an hour of TV. Don't know about the firewire version.

Programming is really easy. There's a searchable tv listing web interface, and you just click on the shows you want and EyeTV will record them for you. It's nice to have several hours of TV of your choice on your laptop!

EyeTV 200 uses up about 2GB per hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.