Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

necropunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
Greetings,

My macbook pro's HD is in bad shape. S.M.A.R.T status is not ok. Sometimes the OS freezes, but so far this is the main problem I detected so far.
Until now.

I reinstalled the OS X - clean install - to see if things got better, but no luck. Although I think the system is more stable now, the machine is unable to restat or shut down as before. I have to hold the shut down button for a couple of seconds.

With this in mind, is it dangerous for the machine to do frequent force shut-downs, or it just deteriorates the HD even more?

Thanks in advance

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think your first priority is to replace the hard drive. After that, force rebooting the machine could be damaging to the data stored on the hard drive. It could corrupt it and cause odd behavior.

necropunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
I think your first priority is to replace the hard drive. After that, force rebooting the machine could be damaging to the data stored on the hard drive. It could corrupt it and cause odd behavior.

Thank you for the reply.
I'm aware of that. I'm more concerned with the act of doing constant force-shutdown. Is it really bad to the macbook pro or just to the HD?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Thank you for the reply.
I'm aware of that. I'm more concerned with the act of doing constant force-shutdown. Is it really bad to the macbook pro or just to the HD?

It's bad for the data on the hard drive. Not the hard drive itself.

Gepper

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
Greetings,

My macbook pro's HD is in bad shape. S.M.A.R.T status is not ok. Sometimes the OS freezes, but so far this is the main problem I detected so far.
Until now.

I reinstalled the OS X - clean install - to see if things got better, but no luck. Although I think the system is more stable now, the machine is unable to restat or shut down as before. I have to hold the shut down button for a couple of seconds.

With this in mind, is it dangerous for the machine to do frequent force shut-downs, or it just deteriorates the HD even more?

Thanks in advance

If your drive is reporting a bad S.M.A.R.T status i would backup the drive and replace it ASAP. It pretty much mean you have failing hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.