Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Well folks, it's been a while since I've posted very regularly. But I thought that I would take some time out of my busy schedule to provide you a succinct review of my new mouse.

First of all, I have a Rev. C 12' PowerBook (768MB RAM). It's a great machine, period. But that's old news. I have been on the search for a BT mouse since I got my iBook in March. The problem (for me at least) is cost. Most BT mice are $60+ That's just too much for me to spend. On top of that, there were all the delays with the MacMice BT mouse (plus the shady history of the company). I came across the MacAlly BT Mouse JR; a silver 2 button, scroll wheel mouse. It was the cheapest of all models that were available, and I got another $10 from AcademicSuperstore.com because I'm a college student. That makes a silver BT mouse for $40.00. That's a darn good deal! So I bit. I recieved my mouse a few days ago, and have been using it 100% successfully ever since.

1) Setup. With this mouse, I had to press a button on the mouse, press a button on Apple's BT Device Configuration Utility, and BAM! it works. A painless 30 second step.

2) Form. Well, it's just like any mouse. Prior to this, I have been using a logitech MX300 for the past 2 years (Great mouse). This mouse is 20% shorter (it is a JR) but it is the same width/height as the MX 300. So there is not much of an adjustment.

3) Tracking. Perhaps the most important quality of any mouse. This mouse is not as accurate as the MX 300. It appears SLIGHTLY, I repeat, SLIGHTLY choppy on screen... however, its "awake" time is a fraction of a second (the mouse powers down, and upon motion, it activates within a second).

4) Response. The scroll wheel isn't "smooth" motion, but it isn't loud at all. Left and Right mouse buttons are very good, not easy to "mis-click", but very easy to click generally.

3) Range. This area gets a bit shady, I have only been able to get it working successfully from within a six (6) foot radius of my PB. BT is supposed to be up to 33ft. I'll continue to test to get a "final" number on this, but it's not a long-distance mouse by any means.

6) Battery Life. I have been using it for a few days using only the included standard AAs. I have several sets of 2000mAh Rechargeable NiMH batteries that I will use for the duration of the my use of the mouse, and those should be fine. But i'll let you know how long the standard AAs last.

Well there you go. Let me know if you need more opinions/comments. I hope this helps!

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Thanks for the review, I've been looking at BT mice (specifically the Macmice) and this sounds pretty good (mostly because of the price, almost half of that of the Macmice). Can you post a link of the mouse, and maybe some pictures? Also, is it a normal size mouse, or is it like a small travel mouse. I see you say it's 20% shorter, but what does that mean in actual terms? How long/tall/wide is it?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
It's really not that small... 20% is an exaggeration on my part.

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
i've had mine now for about 3months, and pretty happy with it. only two observations:

used almost everyday for at least 4 hours, i go through those energiser e batteries every 2.5- 3 weeks, so i will be considering some rechargeables! once the blue flashing scroll wheel starts, you still have quite a way before the batteries actually die.

if my powerbook has been asleep for a long time (several hours), after quite a few shorter sleeps, i can't wake the computer with the mouse and need to re-discover it, which is a bit of a pain.

other than that it's a pretty good value for money bt mouse!

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
yinyang said:
i've had mine now for about 3months, and pretty happy with it. only two observations:

used almost everyday for at least 4 hours, i go through those energiser e batteries every 2.5- 3 weeks, so i will be considering some rechargeables! once the blue flashing scroll wheel starts, you still have quite a way before the batteries actually die.

if my powerbook has been asleep for a long time (several hours), after quite a few shorter sleeps, i can't wake the computer with the mouse and need to re-discover it, which is a bit of a pain.

other than that it's a pretty good value for money bt mouse!

I thought that I had to re-discover the mouse about every 15 minutes, because shaking the mouse doesn't wake up the computer, however, cliking a mouse button will wake up the computer, even after a night of inactivity. But I still can't wake from sleep using the mouse (but it does reconnect immediately).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Thanks for the review. :) I didn't even know about this mouse.

I'm still undecided on which BT mouse to get, as I'm a student who can't spend a fortune on a mouse, y'know? Also, I love the fact that there are 4 buttons on the MX300, and that extra button is so useful for Exposé.

Now I have to decide which is better...this mouse, or The Mouse BT.

And what's dodgy about MacMice, the company that builds The Mouse?

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
Abstract said:
Thanks for the review. :) I didn't even know about this mouse.

I'm still undecided on which BT mouse to get, as I'm a student who can't spend a fortune on a mouse, y'know? Also, I love the fact that there are 4 buttons on the MX300, and that extra button is so useful for Exposé.

Now I have to decide which is better...this mouse, or The Mouse BT.

And what's dodgy about MacMice, the company that builds The Mouse?

here's the 'story' for macmice...

http://adzoox.com/catchIV.html

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
yinyang said:
here's the 'story' for macmice...

http://adzoox.com/catchIV.html

Personally I'm more concerned with who makes the better product than who has a cleaner background. I mean I realise you shouldn't support a sleezebag if at all possible, but I'd rather get the product I need, even if it comes from a sleezebag. If the MacMice mouse is the best mouse for me, I'm going to get it, regardless of who owns the company. Who knows, Steve Jobs might be a jerk in real life, have you ever met him? The fact is that he makes the best computers, its as simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.