Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
I was curious as to if an iPhone has the capability to send out the signal type that say a garage door or a gate has to open them.
Is it possible to degrade a frequency or change a frequency when putting it out?

This may just be flat out no, but I've always been curious.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
I was curious as to if an iPhone has the capability to send out the signal type that say a garage door or a gate has to open them.
Is it possible to degrade a frequency or change a frequency when putting it out?

This may just be flat out no, but I've always been curious.

No. Not unless the garage door opener is wifi/internet connected.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
well I did see an ad a few weeks ago and it said it would work as a tv remote. usually those are infer red but they say it does.....

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
I think that it works as a universal remote, but I think that you have to buy a unit for that so it probably uses wifi

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
well I did see an ad a few weeks ago and it said it would work as a tv remote. usually those are infer red but they say it does.....

Those use a unit you plug in, in conjunction with an app to beam infra-red signals. If the OP was inclined they could reverse engineer their garage door opener, figure out the signal it's broadcasting, put together a logic board that does the same thing and read up about programming an app to control it when plugged into their iPhone/iPod.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Those use a unit you plug in, in conjunction with an app to beam infra-red signals. If the OP was inclined they could reverse engineer their garage door opener, figure out the signal it's broadcasting, put together a logic board that does the same thing and read up about programming an app to control it when plugged into their iPhone/iPod.

just for the novelty of opening a door with your phone?

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
I was thinking like gates with codes, garage doors, lights, ect.
Maybe I will, bu yeah I know nothing about any of it so it's highly unlikely

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In

screw that! just make the wife get out and open the dam door!! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.