Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I'm looking for something that will let me store and read documents on my ipad. I bought this app because of the file storage and organizational abilities that it has. Those work great. I like how I can organize my files in folders and sub-folders which makes then much easier to find then in iBooks. It also allows me to read my PDFs very well, at least the smaller ones. I'll still use iBooks for the larger ones.

This app is suppose to be able to read doc and docx files. It can but it gets the formatting of those docs all messed up and doesn't even display the whole file! I've got a lot of 4 and 5 page docs that this program shows the 1st 2 pages, not formatted properly, and that's it. These docs have simple text with some italics, underline, and bold. They do have some footnotes.

Does anyone know a fix for this besides converting all my docs to PDFs?

Or is there another app that gives the same organizational options along with displaying documents properly?

What a waste of $8. This is the major flaw in the app store. There's no recourse for non-functioning apps.

Diane B

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Western NC foothills
Maybe goodreader

I actually use Goodreader primarily for pdfs but it also handles docs. I have Office2HD and like it but don't have any long docs to view/store. Goodreader is cheap, easy to use, has folders for easy management, renaming, export, email, etc

For Office HD, why don't you contact the developer with your issues. He may be unaware, have a fix for you and be able to fix in upgrade. I've found most developers to be very responsive.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I have contacted him and he wants me to email him one of the docs which I'm going to. I found a free app fileapp that does what I want and does it quite well. I have to use a program on my MBP to transfer the files but that's not a big deal.

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Goodreader is the way to go, fantastic app and only $1. Office2HD is the cheapest functioning office app, all are flawed in some way. I use it to create Word and Excel docs but I use Goodreader to do all my viewing. You can now open the same file in both programs, email, upload to various cloud services, etc. If you are dealing with anything complex, Pages may be the best solution for rendering true doc and docx files. It has it's own issues though.

ash =o)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.