Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
This morning, I was in mail (I think I was in the midst of a draft which I did not care to save) and realized that I was late so I tried closing Mail using command q. Well, I get the desktop but I can't logout. When I hit the mail icon, it won't even open up my mail to do file, close. So I'm in limbo because I'm not able to shut down.

Please advise. My email provider is gmail if that helps. What can I do? Thanks.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Do you mean that you want to logout from your Mac account?

If that is the case and Mail won't shut down, try this:
- Click the Apple icon at the top left, and select Force Quit. Then proceed to Force Quit Mail.

- If this doesn't work, then force the Mac to shut down, by holding the power button for a couple of seconds. It's not the best solution, but sometimes it is the only way.

I hope this helps.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
This is a problem that still hasn't been fixed in OS X. When I say Log Off, I mean now, not after all applications Quit and the cache clears. When I hit the Log Off button in Linux or Solaris, the response is immediate. They just Kill the applications and exit the session. OS X does a Quit command on each application, and if any application won't Quit, OS X gives up and refuses to move. Microsoft Windows has a similar problem.

The workaround is to go into the Apple menu and choose Force Quit. Find the offending application in the Force Quit menu that pops up and issue the Force Quit (Kill) command. Click OK to confirm and Mail should be gone from the process list. Then you should be able to get out of your OS X session.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I had this issue about a month ago!!! Also does anyone know why I have zillions of the same mail that I found in Mail subfolders on my Mac?

michelle71

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Do you mean that you want to logout from your Mac account?

If that is the case and Mail won't shut down, try this:
- Click the Apple icon at the top left, and select Force Quit. Then proceed to Force Quit Mail.

- If this doesn't work, then force the Mac to shut down, by holding the power button for a couple of seconds. It's not the best solution, but sometimes it is the only way.

I hope this helps.

I found that clicking Mail on the left end of the menu bar, scrolling down to 'Quit Mail' and signing out that way, stopped the logging out problem. Check to make sure Mail isn't on the menu bar anymore. This should permanently fix the problem!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Why logout? Set your mac to request the password when coming out of sleep and if pushed just close the lid, then force quit the app when you have time....or have I missed something??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.