Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvinrocky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Hello, I am a graphic designer and i use apple mail as my main email application. When im sending photos to my project manager or clients, they are coming back to me stating that they can't save the images as separate files and that they are embedded in the email. I have 'send windows friendly files' checked as well... not only it does this to my jpg's, gifs, and pngs, it is doing this to my PSDS as well... Anybody have a solution or idea of how i can fix this problem? Should i just switch to another email application? any suggestions?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
how are you getting the pictures into the message? If you're dragging them in most likely they will be imbedded. What you need to do is click the attach button and find the file and attach it.

calvinrocky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
i attach my images but pushing the attach button.

what is weird is that this used to not happen... it just started doing this like 2 weeks ago, and i haven't done anything different.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
hmm, I just tested it with OSX Mail and outlook 2003 and it works fine here, whether I drag to the window or use the attach button, the image shows up in outlook as an attachment. Are you using any stationary or just plaintext/richtextformat?

Do you know what version of Outlook they're using?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... When im sending photos to my project manager or clients, they are coming back to me stating that they can't save the images as separate files and that they are embedded in the email. I have 'send windows friendly files' checked as well... not only it does this to my jpg's, gifs, and pngs, it is doing this to my PSDS as well... Anybody have a solution or idea of how i can fix this problem? Should i just switch to another email application? any suggestions?
Whether or not your graphics are viewed as embedded images have everything to do with your recipient's email client and little to do with your email client. Displaying files as embedded graphics does not change the file in any way. Your project manager and clients should be able to save your files just as they would if they were not displayed as embedded graphics.

It really sounds like the people that you are working with don't know what they are doing. You need need to help them:
  • Learn which email clients they are using.
  • Setup a personal account on the client on a Windows machine.
  • Send a sample file to that account.
  • Open your sample message and see how to save the embedded graphics file.
  • Share this information with your manager and clients.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
While I agree that it shouldn't be necessary, you could also trying "zipping" the file by creating an archive and emailing that to them.

calvinrocky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I tried clicking on "send windows-friendly attachments" still doesn't work when i have that checked. I've been testing on the pc's here and it is embedding my images on outlook 2003 and 2007. also have my settings set on rich text.

when i open up the messages in outlook they show up embedded. an alternative is that you can right click the file, but what sucks is you lose the file name and it converts it to a bmp. i really think its a setting i might have clicked on or a update that screwed with my settings. Because it was working before (2 or 3 weeks ago).

some of my clients that are on hotmail, gmail, yahoo show up as attachments but its just outlook. this is so frustrating.

any ideas on another email application i can switch to that is free?

calvinrocky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
well i figured it out...

for some reason my signature in my email was automatically embedding my attachments. I don't know why but when i changed signature to none it worked...

weird.

joefree

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
California
Here we go again

This happened before. I can't remember the specific fix but it did have something to do with the signatures.

It started happening to me two weeks ago. Something got reset after some update. :mad:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
MisterMe is correct. Effectively, there's no such thing as "embedded" images in e-mail. They are attachments, and it doesn't matter whether you use "view as icon" or "view in place" when you send them. Not that some e-mail clients won't get confused. To avoid complications, here is what I always do:

• Send plain text e-mails only.
  • Place all attachments at the very end of the e-mail.
  • Select "Windows friendly attachments."

If you do this, you will never have a problem. I never have.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
well i figured it out...

for some reason my signature in my email was automatically embedding my attachments. I don't know why but when i changed signature to none it worked...

weird.

Glad you figured it out, were you using plain text for the signature or an image/html?

fynearts

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
a year later

i am having the same problem ...

my images are being embedded into email ... a few months back this was manageable as PC users would drag the image from the email and it would then be an icon they could work with (photographic competitions)

a few weeks ago something changed ... not only are pics now embedded in email they are unmanageable ... cannot drag it from email to make it an icon .. cannot click on it and save to desktop etc ... (i have tested this by mailing from may mac at home to pc at work) ...

very frustrating ...
all the suggestions above i have tried - been googling this problem for months ...

am about to try the signature idea - the last suggestion ...
there has been no more said about this for a year so i am presuming the problem IS solvable ?

why on earth does it exist in the first place ?

thanks ... >> Gina

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I just had the problem the other day. I don't know what e-mail client the recipient was using & I don't have a signature on my e-mail. I ended up sending the pictures using Gmail web access.

razgriz

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
i think i figured this out.....When you attach a picture to a email message, it embeds in the message. If you right click on the picture within the message and click on View as Icon, it will send as an icon. Hope this helps someone....

macforumian

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
apple mail embeds jpgs and converts animated gifs to jpgs!

well i figured it out...

for some reason my signature in my email was automatically embedding my attachments. I don't know why but when i changed signature to none it worked... weird.

The above thread is ageing a bit – but still relevant, as I've only just bumped into the problem, after years of using Apple Mail. And there's the additional problem of Mail converting an animated gif to a jpg
I now use all the solutions offered, and so normal service is resumed. (using plain text and clicking on the image to set the preference of 'view as icon' are the fix).
But, as someone asked, WHY make things more complicated, when so many people are using Outlook on PCs? What happened to good 'ol "attach-and-send", without having to think about options, preferences, end-user, etc. Ah, wel...

rrijkers

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The Netherlands
Basicly send as plain text seems to work out of the box. Zipping it will work too.

There has to be a certain setting somewhere as (obviously) only outlook has probes with it...

hyssop6841

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Colorado
I too have had this problem with JPG's. I have resorted to converting my images to PDF's before I send it. If someone really needs a JPG, I send it by yousend or something.

newmacuserone

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Pictures embedded in e-mail when open in Windows XP

I am a new user and have a Windows program computer to check how e-mails open on the non Apple world. Here is what I found to allow JPEG pictures to show up as attachments on Windows computers and be regular size.
1) I found you can't use a signature on the e-mail so I went to the upper right corner of the new e-mail and changed my signature status to "none"....for that particular e-mail.
2) when in Safari, under attachments - then edit - you can't have the attachments at the end of the e-mail checked. If it is checked it will send as an attachment ok but it won't show up at the other end with the paperclip to acknowledge there is actually an attachment.
3) I found that sending JPEGS to open in normal size was to change my setting in the drop down in the lower right to "large" allows the picture to be viewed the best.
4) I found saving scanned items as a PDF is the only way to go.
Thanks for the postings. I have repeated some information for others but with your help I have found a solution. Thanks

wagnerphoto

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Mail jpeg from mac to pc

It is amazing how F'ed up this problem is. It does not matter if they are windows friendly jpegs, and if you drag them to the email. Microsoft is the problem; it is trying to protect the computers from getting a virus so it is embedding the files. Right click save (sometimes works), but it changes the size from 300 dpi to 92 dpi, so if you don't have photoshop you are screwed. Maybe Microsoft should just go back to DOS. If you respond to someones question, please know what you are talking about before you answer; it just makes us all more frustrated. If you change the file to a PDF it will size it down to
8 1/2 x 11.

WOULD LOVE TO FIND THE REAL ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM.

pmsg

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
There is a reason this works sometimes, and sometimes not.

I have done some testing on this with an IT colleague running Outlook. It appears that sometimes Mail on the Mac sends the message as a text e-mail with an attached JPG and sometimes it sends it as an HTML message with the image imbedded. If I send a message with the signature set to none, and just one image attached using the attach button (not drag and drop) in the toolbar, it comes across as a separate attachment. As long as I do not enter any text in the message box. If I type something in the message, or even tab into the text entry box so that a cursor appears there, it sends the message as HTML. If I add multiple images, it sends it as HTML.

You can check how your message was sent by looking at your sent messages folder, select the questionable e-mail message and hit Option, Command, U to view the raw source of the message. If it says "Content-Type: text/html;" anywhere in there, you will have imbedded images. If it says "Content-Type: image/jpg;" you can be sure that the image was received as an attachment.

With previous versions of Mail I was able to send multiple images that came through as proper attachments, showing the "Content-Type: multipart/mixed;" but I am not currently able to replicate that.

So, the only surefire way I have found to send a JPG as an attachment to someone using Outlook on Windows is to send one JPG at a time, with no signature and no text in the body of the message. Or, if you have multiple images, archive them in the Finder, and attach the archive.

...of course, as always, YMMV!

carboncow

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Whether or not your graphics are viewed as embedded images have everything to do with your recipient's email client and little to do with your email client. Displaying files as embedded graphics does not change the file in any way. Your project manager and clients should be able to save your files just as they would if they were not displayed as embedded graphics.

It really sounds like the people that you are working with don't know what they are doing. You need need to help them:
  • Learn which email clients they are using.
  • Setup a personal account on the client on a Windows machine.
  • Send a sample file to that account.
  • Open your sample message and see how to save the embedded graphics file.
  • Share this information with your manager and clients.

it's an old post but I had to comment on this idiots answers...he obviously has no clue what the concern is, it's widely discussed with no good work around. The issue has never been resolved on the Outlook end and it has everything todo with how mail.app encodes embedded objects. They are simply two different systems doing their own thing...with no standards in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.