Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Totally stupid question but I have been sitting here with my iPhone 4 for an hour now and I'm still figuring out, how to get the micro-sim tray open? I'm using the pen that was in the package, yet it seems the port is totally stuck. What to do? =/

doctordowling

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Totally stupid question but I have been sitting here with my iPhone 4 for an hour now and I'm still figuring out, how to get the micro-sim tray open? I'm using the pen that was in the package, yet it seems the port is totally stuck. What to do? =/

Take a small paperclip and push it in the circular whole on the side of the phone. The tray will eject pretty easily

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
When I first got mine I had difficulty, but with some wiggling it opened.
Me too. I understand the OP's concern. When I first got my phone it seemed fairly obvious to me that that little round hole was just begging to have a paperclip pushed into it but, after I tried that and the tray didn't seem to be moving, I lost confidence and started Googling, reading how-to articles and watching YouTube videos about the SIM tray.

Once I'd convinced myself that I was doing the right thing and wasn't going to break it, I had another go and pressed the paperclip in harder, and the tray came out enough for me to get my fingernails around the edges and slide it out fully.

- Julian

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
When I first got mine I had difficulty, but with some wiggling it opened.

Yeah me too....

I had trouble opening the drawer, and was definitely less than comfortable applying that much force to a new phone!! And the same happened when trying to close it.

Unless you've fixed it by now, I would suggest taking it to an Apple store and letting them do it for you. If they break it, you can blame them rather than yourself!!

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

As others have said, don't worry that you are going to break it. Just use a small paper clip, and with the right amount of force it will open for you.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
You need to push really hard because Apple didn't give the tray any room to move around. It seems it was slit-cut from the metal so you'll need a lot of force.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.