Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Linky

That’s the lesson a 19-year-old Vaughan man is learning after he boasted online about driving 100 km/h over the speed limit and was charged with careless driving.

Sigh...
Rigenco’s parents, who don’t know much about cars, bought the M5 for him as a reward for doing well in school. He said the parents just didn’t know any better.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
NSFW? I don't understand how you grow up and not understand that the M5 is not for teenagers.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
LOL. Just goes to show bragging gets you nowhere :D

BTW, what is your avatar supposed to be heehee? I don't understand it :-(

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
There should be a law stating that kids cannot have a luxury car for their first car unless they pay for it themselves. I can understand treating him to something as a reward for his hard work like a vacation or a new computer, but a BMW( especially a M5)?

heehee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
LOL. Just goes to show bragging gets you nowhere :D

BTW, what is your avatar supposed to be heehee? I don't understand it :-(

Rally driving with co-pilot giving instructions. Or me driving and my fiancee yelling at me for driving like a nut. :D

There should be a law stating that kids cannot have a luxury car for their first car unless they pay for it themselves. I can understand treating him to something as a reward for his hard work like a vacation or a new computer, but a BMW( especially a M5)?

I knew a few people with expensive cars back in high school. One driving a 911 to school everyday.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop

Personally, I don't feel that labeling an M5 a "Luxury Car" is entirely accurate. If it were a 750, maybe.

To me an M5 is a serious sports sedan, if not race pedigree.

In the hands of a teenager, it's a weapon more dangerous than a handgun.

I mean, seriously, that car can bend spacetime as well as it can the curves.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Personally, I don't feel that labeling an M5 a "Luxury Car" is entirely accurate. If it were a 750, maybe.

To me an M5 is a serious sports sedan, if not race pedigree.

In the hands of a teenager, it's a weapon more dangerous than a handgun.

I mean, seriously, that car can bend spacetime as well as it can the curves.

BMW is a luxury brand that focuses on the driving experience. The M5 is simply a performance derivative of the regular 5 series. Yes, the M5 is a sports car/sedan, but it is based on a luxury car and still has luxury car features.

You would still call the S63 AMG a luxury car because it is still an S-Class.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
BMW is a luxury brand that focuses on the driving experience. The M5 is simply a performance derivative of the regular 5 series. Yes, the M5 is a sports car/sedan, but it is based on a luxury car and still has luxury car features.

You would still call the S63 AMG a luxury car because it is still an S-Class.

-quagmire

I understand, those are my personal views.

Disclosure: I own a BMW.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
At least he didn't get himself killed speeding. We had a story about two 17-year olds who crashed a Porsche the other day. Both got killed. :(

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Unfortunately these teenagers don't know better until they see their friends hurt or dead. It makes a much bigger impact if they themselves land in the emergency room.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

All BMWs are luxury cars as well as being sports sedans/coupes/roadsters. Given their price and equipment levels they could hardly be called anything else, no?

Which brings me on to the parents' apparent idiocy - Surely when it came time to buy the car it would have been obvious, given the cost, that this was no ordinary sedan? Or they could have Googled "BMW M5"?

I think the parents should take a lot of blame for handing over a $100k, 10 cylinder, 200mph car to a child. And then pleading ignorance, which is never an excuse.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
It's a 2006 M5 so it won't be 100k. Thinking about converting 4 year old M5 prices from the UK you might be able to pick one up for around 40 to 50k US dollar.

Which is still a very expensive car for your first motor, but not out of bounds. I've been privileged, (or unfortunate!) enough to know guys who had expensive sports cars from their ridiculously well off parents. It's not uncommon.

Also most parents won't know what an M car is. They're likely to think it's a big slow family car. Probably think it's a safe ride for their kid. Stuff like this will happen.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
All BMWs are luxury cars as well as being sports sedans/coupes/roadsters. Given their price and equipment levels they could hardly be called anything else, no?

Which brings me on to the parents' apparent idiocy - Surely when it came time to buy the car it would have been obvious, given the cost, that this was no ordinary sedan? Or they could have Googled "BMW M5"?

I think the parents should take a lot of blame for handing over a $100k, 10 cylinder, 200mph car to a child. And then pleading ignorance, which is never an excuse.

It's a 2006 M5 so it won't be 100k. Thinking about converting 4 year old M5 prices from the UK you might be able to pick one up for around 40 to 50k US dollar.

Which is still a very expensive car for your first motor, but not out of bounds. I've been privileged, (or unfortunate!) enough to know guys who had expensive sports cars from their ridiculously well off parents. It's not uncommon.

Also most parents won't know what an M car is. They're likely to think it's a big slow family car. Probably think it's a safe ride for their kid. Stuff like this will happen.

Here is the thread. I haven't read the whole thread, but make sure to read page 22, where police steps in. :D

http://forums.5series.net/topic/95495-going-140-kmh-on-a-40-zone/

After reading that thread and then the links in that thread, the parents fully knew what kind of car they bought their kid. These parents should be on posters, billboard, TV, etc to show how not to parent your kids.

The kids post in another thread at the forum....

You know I will be honest here. I am 19, and just purchased my 2006 M5. The mechanic old irish man Professional BMW mechanic asks me a question "Do you know what car you bought?" I say "Yes, an M5", he says "Its not only an M5 its a kill machine, only pros or people who finished the M5 driving course should be eligible to drive this car, so much power can kill a person" he yelled at my parents for letting me buy this car. "From this lesson, I learned to know how to drive this car first and what it is, than use it properly"

So I want to tell something to the young drivers fellas...This is an M5 and its a sexy beautiful car, you can get all girls from everywhere, and kill almost everybody on the road racing it. But, the 500hp doesnt mean you have to use it and drive crazy and showing off, one day, and listen one day... you will kill yourself if you don't drive in this car safely and know what to do.

My dad is a professional rally driver, and has been a driver instructor over 25 years, as soon as he tested that car, he was scared driving it again.

And reading that thread, ran across an old story that I believe we all heard about an 18 year old kid took his M5 to an airstrip and crashed it killing all 5 people in the car back in 2008. The kid posted on another forum saying similar stuff.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...111454-rough-shifts-m-mode-3.html#post1235994

Luckily, this kid got caught and most likely prevented another tragic event to occur.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
And reading that thread, ran across an old story that I believe we all heard about an 18 year old kid took his M5 to an airstrip and crashed it killing all 5 people in the car back in 2008. The kid posted on another forum saying similar stuff.

Now that is a scary read. It just goes to show that internet forums are not all hot air and nonsense. Maybe someday one of us will "say " something in a thread that might indirectly save someone's life. A sobering thought.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
quag said:
My dad is a professional rally driver, and has been a driver instructor over 25 years, as soon as he tested that car, he was scared driving it again.

Fair enough, in that case then the parents really should get their heads screwed on. 500hp is more than most guys have in their track cars. Stupid power to hand to a teenager.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Fair enough, in that case then the parents really should get their heads screwed on. 500hp is more than most guys have in their track cars. Stupid power to hand to a teenager.

That quote just makes the parents sound even more stupid - a professional driver should know exactly how dangerous an M5 can be.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
"Scared to drive the car again" is a piss-poor excuse for not having the skill to control the car.

A rally driver is a questionable person to be driving a 500 hp car. They usually go flat-out, between curves.

Unless he only participates in timed-section rallies.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

While I would never propose such a law, I personally agree due to personal experience.

When I was in my last year of high school I was in a terrible wreck, shaped who I am forever. It was a nice car and went faster then the average car a high school student should have. My kids in the future will never have a car similar to what I had in school, simply too dangerous for such a young mind.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Here is the thread. I haven't read the whole thread, but make sure to read page 22, where police steps in. :D

http://forums.5series.net/topic/95495-going-140-kmh-on-a-40-zone/

Wow. In summary:

Kid: Hey, I do what I want, stop telling me what to do, I know how to drive and I know when to be safe and when not to, I'm laughing at all of you loserz, hahaha.

Police: Anyone who wants to report a witness of the dangerous operation of this M5, please contact us at <...>.

Other forum members: Hah, owned, reported.

Kid: Y'all better mind your own business. You have no idea who I am or what I'm capable of...

Other forum members: Do you realize that threatening a police offer is a serious offense?

Kid: Uh... ok, so maybe I lied a bit when I said how fast I was going. And, um, maybe we should delete this thread now? I was just kidding guys. Really! It was all just a joke!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I just went back to finish reading the thread, just read that a week later after all the, " I am a safe driver." BS, he crashed his M5.

Gotta love karma. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.