Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Since day 1, I have put a piece of invisible shield over the rear lens to protect it from scratching. However, when taking pictures the pics aren't as sharp and in focused as not having it on. But i'm always afraid it will scratch.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
I've been looking for a rear protector that covers the lense, I like the camera a lot and would like a way to protect it, any ideas?

Tried a small piece of a crystal protector, wouldn't adhere properly, tried scotch tape but I think it's not totally clear.

Any suggestions are welcome.

jmsteve3

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I installed an invisible shield on June 25, the day after I got my nw iPhone 4. Several days later, I was surprised to see a scratch across the middle of the lens on the camera. I couldn't figure out how it happened, but was bummed to see it on my new, shiny device. To this day though, it has not affected one picture and I only remembered it because of this post. I understand the need to protect it, but I honestly can't even tell it's there, and I take a TON of pictures and am VERY picky! Hope that helps!

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

So far, there are no scratches at all on mine.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
putting something that is not optically clear over optical glass = FAIL

You are being counter productive. You wanted to avoid scratches because it will affect the clarity of the camera, but you've already done more to degrade the quality than any light scratch ever would do.

Just buy a case that lifts the back when its on a surface and that should be more than enough to avoid most scratches

Jayman34187

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I've been looking for a rear protector that covers the lense, I like the camera a lot and would like a way to protect it, any ideas?

Tried a small piece of a crystal protector, wouldn't adhere properly, tried scotch tape but I think it's not totally clear.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hold it this way not that way :)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I am using Sp's for my SS Vibrant that are called Realook and you get 2 SP's plus 2 Camera lens protectors. I do not know if they make them for the iPhone but you should check it out. They are on ebay and Amazon.

dmbaggie

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Texas
In the shadow of antennagate!!

I tried to take a picture last night and every photo looked like glamour shots!!

I use my camera like a normal human, no rough stuff. I found out last night that the lens is very slightly mounted above the back. Guess what apple...that means it's always resting on the lens.

I've bought over 20k in apple products in the last 20 years and always praise their design and ease of use.

Look at my photo...Any thoughts? Can I take this back? Notice how the rest of the back is incredibly smooth.

scratches.jpg

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I tried to take a picture last night and every photo looked like glamour shots!!

I use my camera like a normal human, no rough stuff. I found out last night that the lens is very slightly mounted above the back. Guess what apple...that means it's always resting on the lens.

I've bought over 20k in apple products in the last 20 years and always praise their design and ease of use.

Look at my photo...Any thoughts? Can I take this back? Notice how the rest of the back is incredibly smooth.

On mine, the metal rim around the camera glass is mounted slightly above the back, but the plastic rim of the back is also slightly above the glass back. For the most part, I'm sure yours is probably similar if not the same, and the camera glass is raised slightly above the plane when the phone is resting on its back.

-C

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Do this: Take saran wrap and put a few layers over the lens. Keep doing it, comparing how bad it looks from the back to how bad your pictures look. After your lens is COMPLETELY white because of the saran wrap (like it's bunched up), your photos should only look hazy and unfocused. Now you realize that the condition of the lens doesn't really matter. ;)

bobdjojo

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
I had a giant scratch on my lens. (well the glass over the lens) I took it to the apple store and they replaced it for free.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I have a minor scratch across my lense. Hair line. Hardly even noticeable. Scratches on a lense will not effect picture quality at all.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Since day 1, I have put a piece of invisible shield over the rear lens to protect it from scratching. However, when taking pictures the pics aren't as sharp and in focused as not having it on. But i'm always afraid it will scratch.

OP's Title: its 'their' and not 'there'. This just bugs me so had to point out.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I had a giant scratch on my lens. (well the glass over the lens) I took it to the apple store and they replaced it for free.
What did they replace, the phone or just the lens? My camera lens is horribly scratched up. I carry my iPhone naked in my pocket and I've also got lots of scratches all over the back, including one gouge that I can catch my fingernail in if I glide it across the scratch.

I thought they were supposedly using some kind of magical super-hard glass, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case. I think I would be happier if they just used a plastic back on this thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.