Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiRod407

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Wow, all this work for tethering. Guys just google a little bit more and you'll find easier solutions. All I did was download MyWi 4.0 and go into iFile and rename ONE file and BOOOOOM! The trial version of MyWi turns into a permanent copy.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Wow, all this work for tethering. Guys just google a little bit more and you'll find easier solutions. All I did was download MyWi 4.0 and go into iFile and rename ONE file and BOOOOOM! The trial version of MyWi turns into a permanent copy.

All that trouble to post and you couldn’t provide a link. :rolleyes:

Edit: Ah, I see. No one is posting what you’re talking about, since it violates forum rules.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

All this work as you say only takes a few minutes. Also I would rather use the internal tethering since I have no need for mywi. Another plus is I don't have to have Rock or another app on my phone.

MiRod407

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
All this work as you say only takes a few minutes. Also I would rather use the internal tethering since I have no need for mywi. Another plus is I don't have to have Rock or another app on my phone.

You can delete Rock app after the fact. I haven't used the method by the OP but I noticed that many people didn't get this to work all the time. This works alll the time.

Thyraz

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
I had a hard time to figure out why the carrier.plist not worked for me.

If you had an carrier settings update through iTunes,
it isn't placed in /System/Library/Carrier Bundes/

Instead it's placed in /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles/

So simply set the type mask of your default internet connection under apns --> apn in the carrier.plist to 55 and you're done.

(maybe reboot or even reset your network settings afterward.)

Oh, and the reason to not use MyWi is simply that
a) this damn rock stuff shouldn't be supported
b) piracy is also never a good idea.

MiRod407

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I had a hard time to figure out why the carrier.plist not worked for me.

If you had an carrier settings update through iTunes,
it isn't placed in /System/Library/Carrier Bundes/

Instead it's placed in /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles/

So simply set the type mask of your default internet connection under apns --> apn in the carrier.plist to 55 and you're done.

(maybe reboot or even reset your network settings afterward.)

Oh, and the reason to not use MyWi is simply that
a) this damn rock stuff shouldn't be supported
b) piracy is also never a good idea.

I agree, Rock blows. Thats why I'm not paying for it. Besides Rock is the true pirate here. Just take a look at their content and their ads, all rip off from Cydia. Also theres even some rumors that My3G is a ripoff of 3G unrestrictor.

sirtekalot

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Works but.....

I got it to work but after a few minutes or a few web pages I have to reset the connection for it to work again. Any ideas?

sirtekalot

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Mms

My MMS did not work after installing this hack; I got it working after I reinstalled ultrasn0w in Cydia.

jyj

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
i just have to say this is awesome. thank you so much for your clear instructions!! even me, who is pretty new at all this managed to get the tethering going without issue.

Thanks OP, you sure know how to make a girl happy! :)

edit: i'm tethering on my MBP right now!!

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I agree, Rock blows. Thats why I'm not paying for it. Besides Rock is the true pirate here. Just take a look at their content and their ads, all rip off from Cydia. Also theres even some rumors that My3G is a ripoff of 3G unrestrictor.

Yes Rock redirects ads in 3G Unrestrictor to My3G and they did rip off some of 3GU implementation... I remembered seeing this in dev team twitter

sirtekalot

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Is anybody else having issues with tethering; I can only load one page then I have to reset my connection.

AusOptusUser

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
For Optus users in Australia

In your Carrier.plist file you will find 4 different APNs, two using the APN of yesinternet (the other two are mms and connect).

To get tethering to work, change the yesinternet APN that has a type-mask of 16 to 17. You'll note that the other yesinternet APN also has a type-mask of 17 - this is fine and leave it as is.

I had to use plist editor rather than a standard text editor to edit my carrier.plist file, not sure if that's the case with other Optus users.

Cheers,

AOU

hlkc

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Can someone confirm the first page instruction will work on the iPhone 4 with 4.01 firmware? Just want to make sure before I try that. Much appreciated.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
This looks to break the function of @planetbeings Signal app. I can no longer get a lock on cell towers with Signal since doing this hack.

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
I've done this 4 times and have not had success. The only area where I could be making a mistake is the actual installation of the package (sounds ridiculous) but anyway could some tell me exactly how to run the patch by typing:
dpkg -i /var/tmp/ccp401_1.1-3_wortel.deb

Where do I type that command. I'm using Cyberduck

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I've done this 4 times and have not had success. The only area where I could be making a mistake is the actual installation of the package (sounds ridiculous) but anyway could some tell me exactly how to run the patch by typing:
dpkg -i /var/tmp/ccp401_1.1-3_wortel.deb

Where do I type that command. I'm using Cyberduck

to type the command in cyberduck goto Go from the menu and select "Send Command"

This worked flawlesslly and really isnt alot of work. transfer one file, run 1 command and change 1 number in the carrier.plist.

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
to type the command in cyberduck goto Go from the menu and select "Send Command"

This worked flawlesslly and really isnt alot of work. transfer one file, run 1 command and change 1 number in the carrier.plist.

Thank you! That did the trick..working great now

ibid

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Thank You so much

Just follow the instructions as stated and you will be all fine... i have done this on my iphone 3gs and running very good.

Thank you so much once more....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.