Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yellow tint issues on new refresh iMacs (mid 2010)

• 21.5" Looks just about perfect

Votes: 50 18.3%
  • 21.5" Yellow tint issues

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • 27" Looks just about perfect

Votes: 164 60.1%
  • 27" Yellow tint issues

Votes: 31 11.4%

• Total voters

nobias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Replacement received. First was perfect but damaged in shipping.
Replacement has grey band and backlight bleed. Going to Fedex now...
Third times the charm?....

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
the 27" i7 2.93 4x2gb 2tb+SSD. Will post results.

(I wanted to pre-post so I'm in the sample pool ex ante, not a guy showing up just to complain. I think there is way to much adverse selection when people check troubleshooting forums to see if there is trouble).

Of course, this ploy could just be a ruse to exploit this! ;)

j/k of course!

ianmcuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
My second 21.5" i3/3.06GHz iMac arrived today, sadly suffering from the same yellow screenyness as the first. I didn't need any test page to check, it was glaringly obvious when booting up and on an all white background. The second one even had dirt behind the screen for good measure. :-(

Lets hope iMac #3 is better!

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
My second 21.5" i3/3.06GHz iMac arrived today, sadly suffering from the same yellow screenyness as the first. I didn't need any test page to check, it was glaringly obvious when booting up and on an all white background. The second one even had dirt behind the screen for good measure. :-(

Lets hope iMac #3 is better!

apple = fail

nobias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
The upper level support/corporate people are fully aware of this issue.
The lower level phone centre operators are obviously instructed to play dumb, sympathetic, and get you to run useless PRAM reset/system restore from a script they are reading.

"OK now restart the computer, is the problem still there?"
Yes.
"OK now try sitting in a dark room, is the problem still there?"
Yes.
This goes on for 20 minutes before I stopped playing along and just said, I want a replacement.

My third one is coming.

I have read that some people have gone through 5+ replacements to (maybe) get a good system.
Since when was it OK to settle for something that isn't perfect when you are spending honest money?
I won't stop until I get a perfect one, at $4600 for a fully loaded iMac (2.93, 2TB+SSD, 16GB, all accessories) I am not settling.

Maybe I will just go for a loaded mac pro, that way I can start swapping 27" ACD's at the store instead of waiting a week, going through my "10 point check" only to find that one inexcusable condition exists, having to wipe the HD for 4 hours and going through the process again.

Are the dell users that have the same panel reporting the same issue?

wessew

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
No issues whatsoever on my i7 2.93. Screen looks perfect and machine is silent and relatively cool in operation. Very pleased in all respects. I did customize the unit at Apple but I wanted to minimize the chance of damage in shipping. So I decided to pay up for 2 day shipping. The box arrived via FED EX and appeared to have no dents at all. I think it was worth paying extra for the shipping.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
The upper level support/corporate people are fully aware of this issue.
The lower level phone centre operators are obviously instructed to play dumb, sympathetic, and get you to run useless PRAM reset/system restore from a script they are reading.

My third one is coming.

I have read that some people have gone through 5+ replacements to (maybe) get a good system.
Since when was it OK to settle for something that isn't perfect when you are spending honest money?
I won't stop until I get a perfect one, at $4600 for a fully loaded iMac (2.93, 2TB+SSD, 16GB, all accessories) I am not settling.

Maybe I will just go for a loaded mac pro, that way I can start swapping 27" ACD's at the store instead of waiting a week, going through my "10 point check" only to find that one inexcusable condition exists, having to wipe the HD for 4 hours and going through the process again.

LOL

2005CTS

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Here it is.

Note, this picture is a bit underexposed and I did not feel like correcting it. When viewing the display in real life, it is much brighter than this.

Not sure if this is visible or not. If you look just above the mouse pointer you can see the gray line.

Sorry - But I am not seeing anything here.

My Quad Core i5 27" shipped and is to be delivered tomorrow. I am anxious to see the screen quality and will vote tomorrow night from my new computer as soon as it is set up!

nigelallistair

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Preparing for Purchase - Readying for Problems

I'm just a few days from ordering the 27" i7 Quad and I have a question about the wisdom of purchase from a non-Apple source seeing there "may" be problems with a screen.

I can get this unit fro MacMall for $50 cheaper than Apple as well as saving the sales tax. So that's my plan. And yes, that couple hundred dollars is BIG to me.

So...if there is a problem with the screen...is it going to be a giant hassle to deal with the vendor (MacMall) rather than directly with Apple? Too much hassle? Do replacements and such flow as easily with vendors as they seem to with Apple themselves?

Thanks.

2005CTS

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I'm just a few days from ordering the 27" i7 Quad and I have a question about the wisdom of purchase from a non-Apple source seeing there "may" be problems with a screen.

I can get this unit fro MacMall for $50 cheaper than Apple as well as saving the sales tax. So that's my plan. And yes, that couple hundred dollars is BIG to me.

So...if there is a problem with the screen...is it going to be a giant hassle to deal with the vendor (MacMall) rather than directly with Apple? Too much hassle? Do replacements and such flow as easily with vendors as they seem to with Apple themselves?

Thanks.

I bought my quad core i5 27" from MacMall.com (due to be delivered by UPS tomorrow!!!) and purchased the same Applecare that you can buy from the Apple Store. The warranty is from Apple...not MacMall. I have full confidence that my machine will be fine...but if not - I will be dealing with Apple via Apple care. It is worth the cost to get the Apple Warranty.

As to the savings...yes...I saved nearly $300.00 by buying my iMac from MacMall. Most of that savings was tax savings!!! Good choice.

ianmcuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Anyone had any joy with asking to inspect a unit in the Apple store before taking it home? The chap I spoke to today said they'd be happy to do this *if* I paid for it first, hence I'd be getting a refund or exchange if it wasn't up to scratch... I may try this route next. Then again I may just give up...

Sommer

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Just received mine, 27" i7 w. SSD.

Perfect screen, no yellow at all. And no noise at all!!

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Hi there...

My wife's iMac 21.5" 3.2 arrived a few days early. Actually, it arrived "on time" (from a delivery schedule perspective) but faster then "I expected" - due to my remote country location. It was delivered to my front door and guess what?

It's in perfect condition.
- Screen is perfect.
- HDD noise is near silent (much quieter then our HP Laptop)
- its 4 x USB ports work.
- its FW800 works.
- its wireless track pad works great. Actually, I love its track pad.
- its wireless mouse works.
- its printer port connection works.
- its SD card slot works.
- its DVD disc reader works.

If wondering, I'm now using our new iMac to create this post.

My son gave his "thumbs up". My wife gave her "thumbs up" as well. Thus, "she's a keeper" (referring to our new iMac 21.5"). :) Now, we just have to learn how to operate it. :eek:

rgp19699

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
It is complete B.S. that the "yellow tint" problem does not exist, or only exists in the MR forum. The majority of people that buy Macs, or any other computer for that matter, do not do the kind of research that we, "the minority," do.
Hence, I think there are a whole lot of people out there giving their 2009 27" imacs, et al., a 5 star rating because they don't know any better.

For those of you that are happy with your displays because you cannot see flaws "with the naked/or un-trained eye," or just want to "not know," that's fine. No argument here. Free world, etc.

So allow me (us) that do care the same respect. I am currently awaiting delivery on a 27" i5 quad core/8GB ram. (I had various credits/discounts I could only use on this purchase so I let Apple put in the ram.) Even though, and thank you OP for this poll, I am hoping for a "good" display, I will go ahead and do the "gray lines" (Engadget) test.

Because, I am certain the problem exists, having just returned an i7 ('09) REFURB that had severe yellow tint issues. I am the first to admit that I didn't notice the yellowing in the beginning, and may not - that's MAY not, have ever noticed it had I not been in the "minority" and done my research.

However, I wouldn't buy a car, even a new car, whose engine "looks fine." I can't afford huge maintenance issues, etc., so I do my research and go from there. I would not buy a used Audi, for example, if I knew the "Audi World" forum says 61% of that particular model has transmission problems. At the very least I'd have it inspected by a mechanic.

There is also the consideration of resale value. If you ever wanted to sell your imac down the line, the new buyer might care that the bottom third of the screen was yellow. Granted, it's kind of out there to factor in resale values when talking about computers, but at least Macs have resale value. I just sold a 6 year old Mac Pro G4 with a cinema display for $560. Not bad.

I prefer to be in the minority. :) And I love, although at times am very frustrated with, :apple:

nobias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
2010 imac i7 16gb 2tb+ssd

1st damaged stand from shipping
2nd yellow issues
3rd coming monday

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
You know, i for one think the yellowing ARE existent but the fact is, macrumors forums are the only forums i see this lot of threads about it. On other, and really popular ones too, mac forums, i maybe see 1 thread with maybe 20 posts about the yellowing. And it mostly goes like this: hm yellowing, take it back, got a new one, fixed.

So, i don't know.. It certainly IS a big issue, but i think it's even bigger here @macrumors which is actually impossible.

bigmacman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
My 21.5" i3 is nice. No whistle noise during/after adjusting brightness level. No noticeable yellow tint. So far so good. (Knock on wood) :D

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
You know, i for one think the yellowing ARE existent but the fact is, macrumors forums are the only forums i see this lot of threads about it. On other, and really popular ones too, mac forums, i maybe see 1 thread with maybe 20 posts about the yellowing. And it mostly goes like this: hm yellowing, take it back, got a new one, fixed.

So, i don't know.. It certainly IS a big issue, but i think it's even bigger here @macrumors which is actually impossible.

Check the Apple Store forums. They are innundated with threads on the yellow tint and gray bar problem. These complaints range from around the world and are not confined to the U.S. Many users have received multiple replacements with the same issue. There have also been several prominent media outlets which have ran stories and done research. This is not a 1% problem. It affects all ofthe iMacs. Its inherent in the design. If you can't live with a little yellow, then don't buy the iMac. Period.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
The other screen anomaly to look out for is the backlight bleed on the screen edges. Basically when the screen is black but receiving a signal keep an eye out for patches/smears of light emanating around the edges/corners that put patches of light on the screen thus preventing a true black screen to be displayed.

My 2009 27" suffers this but after going through four replacement iMacs due to an assortment of "quality issues" I just accepted it as it's impact on real world usage was minimal - I may think about getting it addressed further down the line using my Applecare.

reeceado

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Hi
got my :apple: iMac quad core i5 yesterday!!!
first mac. Its awesome. First how do i download to the desktop? and how do i put shortcut on the desktop e.g hard drive shortcut etc?
thanks

matonuser

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2007
Hi all,

Just got my i7 27, 1TB, 4GB Ram.

Perfect Condition. No whine, no yellow or gray, Western Digital HD is silent. No hiss or noise with different brightness.

I was so worried about it looking through these forums, just waiting for a yellow screen hissing snake of death to come out of the box, but as a number of people have said, it's like a hospital here, only people with bad experiences yell about it, so to everyone (like me) who checked these threads hoping to hear of more people with good experiences, another is here!!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.