Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
I am trying to host my iWeb site from my home computer. My question is what would the address be? (So that I can register it under a domain) I know it would be something to do with my IP, but I'm a little lost =)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
It would either be your IP address, or if you have a router, then it would be the IP of the router. Then if you have a router, the router would need to be configured to forward port 80 to your machine. Configuration will depend on your specific router, but you can use the manual to look up how to do so. There's also plenty of tutorials online for any additional setup.

Be aware that most ISP (internet service providers) hand out temporary IP addresses so you'll need to update that information for the domain name each time it changes. Alternatively you would need to setup something like DynDNS to keep track of that information.

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
I have DynDns installed and working and I have forwarded port 80 to my system. Now I don't know what to do from here. Where do I place my index.html file??? I need to be able to type in the domain that dyndns gave me and have it pull up my website

If it helps any, here is the information about my setup:
My home server is a vista premium desktop running without a monitor via a VNC client. (I access it from my mac) Here are the specs:
Intel Quad at about 2.33Ghz
8GB RAM
A few large HDDs
Wired direct with ethernet to my router

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I never bother with IP services. I've had the same IP for 3 years under Comcast. I just set up a domain and point it to my router, set the router to pass port 80 (and whatever other ports, like for ARD) to your machine. If you're using non-server SW, just put the index.html file in your USERS > NAME > Sites folder. Otherwise with OS X server add it to Library >WebServer > Documents.

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
I never bother with IP services. I've had the same IP for 3 years under Comcast. I just set up a domain and point it to my router, set the router to pass port 80 (and whatever other ports, like for ARD) to your machine. If you're using non-server SW, just put the index.html file in your USERS > NAME > Sites folder. Otherwise with OS X server add it to Library >WebServer > Documents.

Thanks so much for your respose! I have a few follow up questions:

1st: I don't have any "Sites" folder in my users folder. What should I do to fix that?

2nd: Can I put the site files in another directory of my choosing and make the port forward to that? I would really like to be able to do that

3rd: I read somewhere else that I needed IIS installed and working in vista. I have no idea what that is for or how to use it. Do I even need it?

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks so much for your respose! I have a few follow up questions:

1st: I don't have any "Sites" folder in my users folder. What should I do to fix that?

2nd: Can I put the site files in another directory of my choosing and make the port forward to that? I would really like to be able to do that

3rd: I read somewhere else that I needed IIS installed and working in vista. I have no idea what that is for or how to use it. Do I even need it?

1st - then use /Library/WebServer/Documents, it's a much better option anyway.

2nd - you can put the files anywhere you want, but you'll need to change the /etc/httpd/httpd.conf config file to let it know where to look. Be careful, everything below this in the directory hierarchy will be accessible to everyone on the web.

3rd - Everything you need is already installed and running in Mac OS X, although you really should be looking to learning how to update your Apache version, and maybe PHP and MySQL also.

You also mentioned earlier about being able to access the website from either the same computer or another computer on your home network. You may have said that you wanted to just type the URL in to access it. Ain't going to happen, that way anyway. But you can access it by using the Mac's "Computer Name" (as set in Sharing System Pref), ie. http://henrysimac.local/

Don't even think of doing this from a laptop, nor from a Mac that you aren't prepared to leave up and running 24/7.

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
1st - then use /Library/WebServer/Documents, it's a much better option anyway.

2nd - you can put the files anywhere you want, but you'll need to change the /etc/httpd/httpd.conf config file to let it know where to look. Be careful, everything below this in the directory hierarchy will be accessible to everyone on the web.

3rd - Everything you need is already installed and running in Mac OS X, although you really should be looking to learning how to update your Apache version, and maybe PHP and MySQL also.

You also mentioned earlier about being able to access the website from either the same computer or another computer on your home network. You may have said that you wanted to just type the URL in to access it. Ain't going to happen, that way anyway. But you can access it by using the Mac's "Computer Name" (as set in Sharing System Pref), ie. http://henrysimac.local/

Don't even think of doing this from a laptop, nor from a Mac that you aren't prepared to leave up and running 24/7.

1st - I need to do this on the vista based home server I talked about earlier. What directory do I use in that case?

2nd - I have no clue what you were talking about there! But it sounded like a mac thing. Remember, I need this for vista

3rd - I don't have a mac to leave on 24/7. That is what my vista system is for. Any idea how to make this work?

(P.S. I am already able to access my site from other computers in my network, I am looking to be able to give out a domain name and have others view my content from anywhere)

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
Ok, great! I have wamp server up and running! My site is in place and when I go to localhost, it pulls it right up! However... when I go to my external router ip, nothing happens!! I have forwarded port 80 to my server, so I don't know whats wrong! Thanks for helping!

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Ok, great! I have wamp server up and running! My site is in place and when I go to localhost, it pulls it right up! However... when I go to my external router ip, nothing happens!! I have forwarded port 80 to my server, so I don't know whats wrong! Thanks for helping!

I setup many servers in the course of my job, so I may be able to help a bit.

If you type in your router IP from your computer on the internal network, you're not going to hit the web site with most routers. Most of them aren't smart enough to redirect internal traffic back internally with that type of request. You'll need to use the internal IP address of the server internally to access the page short of having a local DNS server, something that you probably won't want to learn how to do. So don't think anything's wrong from your setup just because it's not coming up how you expect.

BE WARNED: Most ISPs block you from hosting websites or email servers on a standard residential connection. These are restricted for 2 reasons: 1. To reduce the spread of viruses, spam, and botnets. 2. To keep people from hosting sites without paying a premium. So when all this is done and setup correctly it still may not work as your ISP may be blocking it from the world.

What I really do suggest is going with a hosting service like GoDaddy or one of the many other great services out there that cost very little. Of course, this is only if you need the site accessible to the world, otherwise ignore my comment altogether.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002

You're lucky. Some services change IPs frequently, others don't. Either way you'll never know when it's going to to change. Static IPs are an option for most internet providers, for a price. DynDNS is probably the best option just to be safe since it's free.

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
I setup many servers in the course of my job, so I may be able to help a bit.

If you type in your router IP from your computer on the internal network, you're not going to hit the web site with most routers. Most of them aren't smart enough to redirect internal traffic back internally with that type of request. You'll need to use the internal IP address of the server internally to access the page short of having a local DNS server, something that you probably won't want to learn how to do. So don't think anything's wrong from your setup just because it's not coming up how you expect.

BE WARNED: Most ISPs block you from hosting websites or email servers on a standard residential connection. These are restricted for 2 reasons: 1. To reduce the spread of viruses, spam, and botnets. 2. To keep people from hosting sites without paying a premium. So when all this is done and setup correctly it still may not work as your ISP may be blocking it from the world.

What I really do suggest is going with a hosting service like GoDaddy or one of the many other great services out there that cost very little. Of course, this is only if you need the site accessible to the world, otherwise ignore my comment altogether.

So what you are saying is that I would need to go outside my network and then put in my external IP? And if that doesn't work, it is my ISP? I will try it and let y'all know how it turns out!

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
You're more than welcome to PM me your DynDNS address and I'll let you know what I see, if you don't have immediate access to an external network.

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
ok, so I got on another network and put in my dns address. It brought up the regular "could not display the webpage" that IE8 always brings up. Any ideas on what could be stopping it?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
ok, so I got on another network and put in my dns address. It brought up the regular "could not display the webpage" that IE8 always brings up. Any ideas on what could be stopping it?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Could be a lot of things, but the first thing to check would be if your ISP is blocking port 80. Who is your ISP?

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
Could be a lot of things, but the first thing to check would be if your ISP is blocking port 80. Who is your ISP?

I have ATT DSL. My router is supplied by them as well. It let me go in and forward port 80 to my server. I doubt that it would let me do that if ATT wanted to block it! (Since the router is from them!)

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I have ATT DSL. My router is supplied by them as well. It let me go in and forward port 80 to my server. I doubt that it would let me do that if ATT wanted to block it! (Since the router is from them!)

I do believe they block port 80, As I had to lift my blocks on U-Verse when i switched to it.

Give this site a shot: http://www.canyouseeme.org/ Now this won't differentiate between a blocked port and a misconfiguration. A quick call to ATT support should clear things up.

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Makes no difference they would block it at their end, rather than on your router. If possible try setting your webserver to a different port (8080 might work), and try forwarding to it from DynDNS if their service allows it.

Or as timbloom said call ATT and see if they will remove the block.

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
I will definitely call ATT and see if they can lift it. Do you know if comcast blocks it??? I am strongly considering switching due to the slow DSL speeds!

Dsync

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
USA
Well, I think I will end up switching services! I contacted ATT and they said it WAS blocked and that they would not open it up unless I sign up for their expensive business package! Does anyone know if comcast blocks port 80??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.