Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009

I thought Handbrake would not remove copy protection, or so my IT son said. I tried it on Mel Gibson's Edge of Darkness. It worked and put it on my Ipad. To see if it was just a quirk, I tried the movie Jumper. Same, it worked and I put it on my Ipad. Played correctly. These two are the original DVDs I bought and was trying as an experiment. Is this just two unusual cases or does Handbrake remove the protection?

May 8, 2008
I thought Handbrake would not remove copy protection, or so my IT son said. I tried it on Mel Gibson's Edge of Darkness. It worked and put it on my Ipad. To see if it was just a quirk, I tried the movie Jumper. Same, it worked and I put it on my Ipad. Played correctly. These two are the original DVDs I bought and was trying as an experiment. Is this just two unusual cases or does Handbrake remove the protection?

By 'protection' you mean the encryption method that would protect the DVD from being copied?

Handbrake, or any similar ripping software, is designed to bypass or break the encryption method so that you can copy the movie into your iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV, etc...

Why would you want to maintain the protection on the copied file?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

Trust me. I sat through both of those movies. Handbrake is not doing you any favors.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
By 'protection' you mean the encryption method that would protect the DVD from being copied?

Handbrake, or any similar ripping software, is designed to bypass or break the encryption method so that you can copy the movie into your iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV, etc...

Why would you want to maintain the protection on the copied file?

I don't want to maintain the protection. I was just under the wrong impression that Handbrake just converted them to an acceptable Apple format, not break the protection. I am just glad to find out I am wrong.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Handbrake

Trust me. I sat through both of those movies. Handbrake is not doing you any favors.
I was just experimenting to see if it would work. Never watched Jumper and now I don't think I will. Now I personally didn't think Edge Of Darkness was too bad, but that's a personal preference.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W

Firstly, it is against the rules of the forum discussing how to make illegal copies of software and DVD's.

So on the presumption that you are making backup copy of DVD you own,

In a sense your son is right: Copy-protect DVD's are not copied by natively by the most recent versions of HandBrake. I believe to avoid legal consequences they removed the libdvdcss used to de-crypt the DVD's.

So why is it working? Either you have an old version or you also have a copy of VLC media player installed.

The new versions of HandBrake dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss if you have it in your Applications folder in Mac OS X, and hence will rip the DVD's

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Handbrake can decrypt commercial DVD titles if you have VLC installed on your Mac, meaning you don't have to use a separate ripping program as your IT son seems to think.

I personally still use RipIt first, then Handbrake because my results have been mixed when letting Handbrake do all the work. YMMV

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I was just experimenting to see if it would work. Never watched Jumper and now I don't think I will. Now I personally didn't think Edge Of Darkness was too bad, but that's a personal preference.

Jumper was mind-numbingly awful. Edge of Darkness had potential but relied on Mel Gibson making illogically bad decisions from the start (his daughter starts hemorrhaging moments before she's shot and he doesn't think it's worth mentioning to anyone?? - and no autopsy???). In case anyone's concerned about spoilers, that's the first 5 minutes of the movie.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Firstly, it is against the rules of the forum discussing how to make illegal copies of software and DVD's.

So on the presumption that you are making backup copy of DVD you own,

In a sense your son is right: Copy-protect DVD's are not copied by natively by the most recent versions of HandBrake. I believe to avoid legal consequences they removed the libdvdcss used to de-crypt the DVD's.

So why is it working? Either you have an old version or you also have a copy of VLC media player installed.

The new versions of HandBrake dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss if you have it in your Applications folder in Mac OS X, and hence will rip the DVD's
The DVDs were purchased by me and were for my personal use. It's the only way to get them on my Ipad, I think.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Handbrake

Handbrake can decrypt commercial DVD titles if you have VLC installed on your Mac, meaning you don't have to use a separate ripping program as your IT son seems to think.

I personally still use RipIt first, then Handbrake because my results have been mixed when letting Handbrake do all the work. YMMV

I do have VLC om my Imac so that must be it.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
My understanding is that some time ago, handbrake dropped the libraries necessary to decrypt the CSS protection on commercial DVD's - however, if you have VLC installed, it will use those libraries on the fly to get past the CSS.

That's also why you need to match your version of VLC to your version of handbrake (32 bit vs. 64 bit).

So technically, no, handbrake itself doesn't break copy protection on DVD's - VLC does.

<edit - beat to it. that's what happens when you open up threads in tabs and get to them a little later :) >

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Technically speaking. It is illegal. But the other argument is so long as you dont take advantage of this by distributing it, then there should be no problem as you've already paid for them once.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Does anybody know of a site with US laws regarding backing up purchased media for personal use?

I have heard mixed things. Some say it is legal to make one backup of stuff you own, and I have also heard that it is not/no longer legal.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Does anybody know of a site with US laws regarding backing up purchased media for personal use?

I have heard mixed things. Some say it is legal to make one backup of stuff you own, and I have also heard that it is not/no longer legal.

It is not illegal to backup your stuff. It is however illegal to break the copyright protection. There are many arguments against all this, something might happen in the future to make it more user friendly, such as Sony allow for a digital copy with loads of DVDs they sell, pretty good idea.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Don’t you need to break the protection in order to rip (or at least encode) the video?
And I use Netflix, is it okay to rip a DVD to put it on my iPod and then send it back. I usually watch it before the next DVD comes in the mail, and I just delete it after I watch it.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Handbrake

Can anyone tell me how to use RipIt to put the movie on your Ipad. I am trying it now. I did the rip to my desktop and used Ipad in the compression. I try to drag it to Itunes so I can put it on the Ipad but it won't. Do you have to use RipIt and then use Handbrake. Again I am just experimenting here. Or is there a way to drag it to the Ipad while connected to the computer. I am working on an Imac.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I don’t believe just dragging the media to the iTunes icon works. File/Add To Library/Media.????

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Handbrake

I don’t believe just dragging the media to the iTunes icon works. File/Add To Library/Media.????

I know it works when I do a movie with Handbrake. I just drag it to the Tunes movie section. Didn't know about RipIt.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

As BritishBloke says, you can lawfully copy under fair use (which is an affirmative defense to violating copyright as opposed to a legal right), but software that breaks DRM is illegal. Sort of a "your teeth are fine but your gums have to come out" logic.

chain752

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Don’t you need to break the protection in order to rip (or at least encode) the video?
And I use Netflix, is it okay to rip a DVD to put it on my iPod and then send it back. I usually watch it before the next DVD comes in the mail, and I just delete it after I watch it.

If Netflix finds that it was tampered with or copied they will take away you're membership.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
If Netflix finds that it was tampered with or copied they will take away you're membership.

I thought that ripping a DVD meant copying the media off the DVD and then stripping the DRM from the media, not stripping DRM off of the DVD and then copying the media.

May 8, 2008

I'm sure that it violates the TOS but it's something you don't need to worry about if you use one of the basic ripping programs available, such as RipIt, which doesn't remove the DRM package.

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
I'm sure that it violates the TOS but it's something you don't need to worry about if you use one of the basic ripping programs available, such as RipIt, which doesn't remove the DRM package.

Huh? The point of RipIt is to remove the DRM, else you could just copy the files straight from the disc.

May 8, 2008
Huh? The point of RipIt is to remove the DRM, else you could just copy the files straight from the disc.

Sorry, I meant in the sense of a different ripping program that would alter the DRM in a way that would cause the DVD to show obvious signs of ripping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.