Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigt83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
Austin, TX
I'm a PC user who has recently decided to make the switch to Apple. When the new Powerbook update is released, it'll be my first Apple since the II GS.

Introductions aside, I'm looking for some quality Bluetooth software that will allow me to use my cell phone (an Ericsson T610) as a remote. Specifically, I'd like to launch applications, execute basic commands for those programs, and use it as a remote pointing device. I've read about Salling Clicker, but does anyone know of any free (or cheaper) alternatives? Also, are there any problems I should be aware of?

When a friend of mine demonstrated the Bluetooth possibilities (using an IBM ThinkPad), I felt a bit like van Winkle awakening to a new technological era. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't find out about (and buy into) this sooner!

federalists

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Mountain View, CA
yeah, i use something called romeo. get it here:
http://www.irowan.com/romeo/

in addition, check out the sweet integration into address book. once you've linked the phone to your PB, open address book and click the bluetooth button. now, whenever someone calls your phone, your mac will know the number, and if the number is in address book, it'll tell you that person is calling. in addition, you can click any number in addressbook and have your mac automatically dial that number with your phone. it also intercepts text messages and lets you reply using your (real) keyboard. pretty cool...

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Cheaper than what?! This is the best 10 bucks you could ever spend!!!

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i would also reccomend romeo. its free and does everything i ever wanted and more. also your friends will think "how cool"

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
erm.... i just got a sony ericsson k700i a couple of days ago here in the UK and i didn't need any software to control my powerbook with my phone. I switched bluetooth on on both devices and selected remote control on the phone and then tadah! i was using the joystick thing to pilot my way around the mac environment. its wicked!!!! i could do a presentation and click next slide with my mobile! i didn't install any software and it was FREE.

if you're looking for more then fair enough but you can do most if not all of the stuff you want for free!

calhobbes

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Cambridge, MA
dav said:
It may not be a control, but this looks pretty nifty...

Anyone used it?

It's now BluePhoneElite, and I've used both a little bit. It's great for managing the phone's and SIM's SMSs. It's definitely still a beta, as the developers say, as some icons are missing. It seems to have potential, especially if it can be used to send SMSs. I haven't figured that one out yet, though I was in a rush when I was trying.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just downloaded Romeo and what a great program. I was going to order a remote to run PowerPoint for the many presentations I do on a regular basis. This has got to be the coolest application I have seen yet. I espcially like the ring feature which will come in handy during class since my phone is usually in silent mode and stuffed in my bag. This is exactly why I switched to Apple.

Thanks guys, you saved me about $50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.