Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
iconIpad-rounded.png

Hello guys, I had to recreate topic about ReaddleDocs for iPad here, because admins went silent and didn't move one from "iPhone" category. :confused:

To the business, New version of ReaddleDocs lets people highlight text inside PDF files in several colors, make notes at any place in the document and save these changes being compatible with desktop PDF readers.

Thanks to the large screen and intuitive touch based controls the iPad is actively used to read books, magazines and documents in PDF format. Now with ReaddleDocs 1.5 people can interact with the PDF document leaving notes or highlighting important text passages in addition to simple reading.

Annotations made with ReaddleDocs 1.5 are saved within the document in accordance with PDF format specification. Thus ReaddleDocs can edit highlights and text notes created in Apple Preview or Adobe Acrobat Reader and vise versa. At the same time it lets people easily share their annotated files with friends and co-workers.

Here are some screenies:

c_IMG_0065.PNG
IMG_0066.PNG

IMG_0067.jpg

We'll be glad to hear your comments, suggestions and feedback.
http://readdle.com
iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/readdledocs-for-ipad-pdf-viewer/id364901807?mt=8

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
My ideal pdf reader would have the ability to switch between smooth, cross-page vertical scrolling and (horizontal) whole page turning. I find that I prefer vertical scrolling for technical documents where I sometimes have to look at the bottom of one page and the top of another at the same time. However, for ebooks in pdf format, whole page turning would be preferred.

What kind of scrolling does ReaddleDocs have?

Another feature that I find useful is fast document switching (via tabs or some other UI). Does ReaddleDocs have this?

Thanks.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
My ideal pdf reader would have the ability to switch between smooth, cross-page vertical scrolling and (horizontal) whole page turning. I find that I prefer vertical scrolling for technical documents where I sometimes have to look at the bottom of one page and the top of another at the same time. However, for ebooks in pdf format, whole page turning would be preferred.

What kind of scrolling does ReaddleDocs have?

Another feature that I find useful is fast document switching (via tabs or some other UI). Does ReaddleDocs have this?

Thanks.

At the moment, ReaddleDocs has vertical scrolling. However, we're currently working on the update which will provide a convenient way for viewing e-books and technical documents.

Fast documents switching is not available at the moment, we will try to add that in future updates.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
At the moment, ReaddleDocs has vertical scrolling. However, we're currently working on the update which will provide a convenient way for viewing e-books and technical documents.

Fast documents switching is not available at the moment, we will try to add that in future updates.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the vertical scrolling cross-page or one page at a time? Goodreader's vertical scrolling can't display parts of 2 pages on screen at the same time, which makes for very frustrating reading on certain documents.

If ReaddleDocs does cross-page vertical scrolling, it may become my new go-to document viewer/manager (the annotation capability puts it over the top).

Thanks again.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

Is the vertical scrolling cross-page or one page at a time? Goodreader's vertical scrolling can't display parts of 2 pages on screen at the same time, which makes for very frustrating reading on certain documents.

If ReaddleDocs does cross-page vertical scrolling, it may become my new go-to document viewer/manager (the annotation capability puts it over the top).

Thanks again.

Rendering parts of 2 pages can make application unstable on large documents or complex pages. So it's safer to show 1 page at a time.

For small documents you can swith to default iPhone viewer, it'll work for you.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Already spent 5 bucks on iPhone app. Why would I spend 5 bucks on RaddleDocs for iPad when Goodreader is out there? The only difference I see is annotations.

Aren't you that company that makes separate individual apps that really should be apps that are inclusive:

readdledocs - ipad
readdledocs - iphone
pdf expert vs pdf hd
FlashDrive vs Onedisk

Your company should be RealFarmer the way you milk apps with similar features

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Readdlemate said:
Rendering parts of 2 pages can make application unstable on large documents or complex pages.

iAnnotate seems to have managed feat quite well without any instability as far as I can tell. Nevertheless, I like the way you've implemented highlighting. I may have to give your app a try. Thanks.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Already spent 5 bucks on iPhone app. Why would I spend 5 bucks on RaddleDocs for iPad when Goodreader is out there? The only difference I see is annotations.

Aren't you that company that makes separate individual apps that really should be apps that are inclusive:

readdledocs - ipad
readdledocs - iphone
pdf expert vs pdf hd
FlashDrive vs Onedisk

Your company should be RealFarmer the way you milk apps with similar features

This topic requires explanation.

ReaddleDocs for iPhone and iPad are two different products with different roadmaps and usage scenarios. It is close to impossible to make some features great on both devices simultaneously. Annotations is the one of them, more to come in the future.

PDF expert now is in the final stage of redevelpment. It'll be the most advenced PDF reader with unique features that we can't disclose now. It'll be universal (both for iPhone and iPad).

PDF HD is a simple affordable application which does only 1 specific function and does it well - reads PDFs. People who don't need additional features don't have to pay more (e.g. for ReaddleDocs for iPad).

So our users can choose the product which fits best to their needs.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
iAnnotate seems to have managed feat quite well without any instability as far as I can tell. Nevertheless, I like the way you've implemented highlighting. I may have to give your app a try. Thanks.

Not to mention the free iRead PDF.

inancgumus

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
Some recommendations

Hello,

Readdledocs is the best I've come across. Every reader I've tried has somethings but they always something missing. Same is happening with Readdledocs too. If you be able fix these this app will be flawless.

First, a dictionary like barness&nobles reader is a must. By hovering on a highlighted keyword I can get the meaning in a cool tooltip. I also have chance see the meaning over Google or Wikipedia. Only flaw with their reader is that they open an external browser window. There should have been an i tegrated browser.

Second, I can change the background, fonts, font size, letter spacing, line spacing, margins etc. These are not possible with Readdledocs right now...

Third, there is no any bookshelf like in iBooks, kindle or b&n's. It would be good if you have.

If you add these features in the future your app will be my favourite and so the rest of the other ebook reading people.

Regards,

Inanc Gumus

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
I already owned goodreader but decided to purchase readdledocs when it was on sale. After a few days use, I found that I preferred readdledocs in most respects except the pdf viewer, which turned out to be a deal-breaker for me. I sent an email to readdledocs about this and hopefully they will enhance the pdf viewer in the future. For now, I use goodreader.

2Evan

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Scanned documents?

One, can I annotate scanned documents, and two, transfer files to/from Preview and see my notes?

The first one, I'm a bit apprehensive about.

Thks for your help.

pina

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
I think the app needs to precache the pdf-pages so when you go to the next page, you don't have to wait the page to load... turning pages in goodreader works a lot faster.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
One, can I annotate scanned documents, and two, transfer files to/from Preview and see my notes?

The first one, I'm a bit apprehensive about.

Thks for your help.

You can add Notes to scanned documents and you'll be able to see them in Preview.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I love the ability to highlight and make annotations, however, is there anyway to have the annotations be saved on the document for when i transfer it from my iPad to my computer?

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
+1 for smooth vertical scrolling (I.e., the ability to have continuous scrolling rather than automatic jumping from one page to the next). Add this and you guys have nailed it. Please add to to PDF expert too cause that is my favorite app among your offerings.

roycemac

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
I'm confused (nothing really new there!)
I jsut bought Readdle Docs for Ipad yesterday through the ITunes store and paid $4.99. There was no Sale Price...BUT...that is not really the issue for me.
I have a problem with the Screen Resolution....it's TINY! When I click on the 2X, it fills the screen but the screen resolution looks like I'm back in 1982 with a commodore 64. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I am disappointed in the Excel Interface
This app does NOT show Excel COMMENTS! How can you claim to view Excel Sheets without the COMMENTS...which is an integral part of excel sheet ops. I understand that the formulas are a big problem...but the Cell Comments?
And this is not mentioned on your desciptions.

When I open an Excel workbook, the Tabs for the Sheets scroll and Take the Current Sheet with it! When I scroll to open another sheet from the Tabs, I have to then scroll back to find the sheet which is LEFT JUSTIFIED to the screen. Hopefully this is all because the screen res is all wrong.

Docs to Go got the boot and I am hoping that Readdle will not have to follow.

----------

Okay...figured out that I believ I accidentally purchased the wrong version...probably bought the Iphone version. My bad.

BUT...not going to buy the Ipad version if I can't see the comments on an Excel sheet. IMHO, it is incomplete without that feature.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
@Readdlemate - are you planning to update ReaddleDocs (and PDF Expert) to support latest iPad retina display?

There is a stark difference between reading PDF files in your program versus retina-ready PDF viewer apps, like iBooks.

Any ETA on an retina update?

Last edited:

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010

I see that fast document switching was implemented in PDF Expert via a recent items menu that is available while viewing a document. It would be great if this feature could be implemented in Readdle Docs, as well - especially since its implementation was talked about 2 years ago.

Thanks for considering it. I love your products - just bought Remarks, Scanner Pro, and Readdle Docs for iPhone. Still mulling whether I need PDF Expert (really wish all of these apps were universal, so your future iCloud support would work across devices).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.