Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSlanderous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I have been sending mails but every time i think it went through it has actually just been placed in the outbox. I'm on wi-fi and 3G has full bars. What gives? Anyone else having this problem? I have gmail setup thorough exchange, never had this problem before thou. Could this be related to the exchange problems?

frikfrak

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I too have this problem, but it seems to be only emails sent from within apps other than mail. I switch to mail after sending them and they're setting in the outbox. Anyone know what's up with that?

Andru1313

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Odd that you posted this.. I just noticed this today this is something that is new.. I have had the phone since launch day and this just starting happening today..

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
I had to redo all my passwords to get it to work again. Don't know if its the same issue.

oakland6980

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
yea I had the issue too. Turning off my wifi and sending over 3G got it to send so maybe sending email through wifi is the problem?

mike1123

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
That's happening because your outgoing email password was not set. There are two places in mail settings where you need to enter your password; the outgoing one is a bit trickier to find. Look in the outgoing server settings or something like that. I don't have my phone on me, so I can't check, but that is most likely what's causing your issue.

oakland6980

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Yea i've tried over different wifi networks and sending emails just get stuck. also when its trying to send the email its not getting emails pushed to me. i have to turn off wifi and then kill mail in the multitasking bar the reopen mail. it sends right away and i get an new email alert. i am using an exchange account.

og1

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
I have been sending mails but every time i think it went through it has actually just been placed in the outbox. I'm on wi-fi and 3G has full bars. What gives? Anyone else having this problem? I have gmail setup thorough exchange, never had this problem before thou. Could this be related to the exchange problems?

do you have the same gmail account setup as IMAP as well, only set to inactive? I did and had this exact problem. delete the imap account and all is well.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
That's happening because your outgoing email password was not set. There are two places in mail settings where you need to enter your password; the outgoing one is a bit trickier to find. Look in the outgoing server settings or something like that. I don't have my phone on me, so I can't check, but that is most likely what's causing your issue.

I've already entered all the information correctly. Not sure what's up. Since it's a Hover email, It's a little bit more complicated then ordinary GMail.

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Funny, I just noticed this today. To fix it I just had to manually set each specific outgoing mail folder.

For some reason AOL had two different 'sent' folders, and the iphone by default was going into the one which wasnt working, once I switched to the second 'sent' folder it was fine.

I tested my gmail and yahoo accounts and they were working fine also.

macncheesy

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
This is a WiFi related issue

This is specifically a problem with mail through WiFi, if WiFi is turned off the outbox is cleared successfully through actively connected 3G network.

biffarino

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
i've never been able to send an email using a data signal when connected a wifi network. never been able to find a straight answer either.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
There's a bug, at least with Hotmail, where if you change your password only way to send mail is to delete and re-add the account on the iPhone, even if you update the password in the settnigs. Try that?

jamii3e

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
If your outgoing mail message was responding as a "failure smpt.aol.com" blah blah & if you have another email address as well, of course, I JUST found out that I fixed my own problem by switching the Primary Server (smpt.aol.com) off and switching ON Other SMTP servers in your Settings under AOL Account Information.

I found AOL officially sucks LOL and won't help with anything, and it obviously isn't a "iPhone" technicality.

Hope this was what you were looking for!!
(Ps this worked for my iPhone, not MacBook iPad or others but wtf why not try?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.