Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
okay so obviously i have an iphone 4 and i want to the the videos that i shot with it and burn them to dvd for long term storage(i have a 4 year old.) i just dont really know where to begin. previously i have used sony vegas pro 8 when editing but i am definitely a beginner, plus the thing is that the program is a little older and not sure if it has updated to support h.264 as it is on a desk top pc that hasnt had internet access for sometime. can someone steer me in the right direction

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
okay so obviously i have an iphone 4 and i want to the the videos that i shot with it and burn them to dvd for long term storage(i have a 4 year old.) i just dont really know where to begin. previously i have used sony vegas pro 8 when editing but i am definitely a beginner, plus the thing is that the program is a little older and not sure if it has updated to support h.264 as it is on a desk top pc that hasnt had internet access for sometime. can someone steer me in the right direction

Hopefully we can help!
You don't own a mac, right? From your message, I'm not 100% sure

jonjames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Yes I'm sorry your correct I do not own a Mac. Are there any free programs or a way to configure Sony Vegas to recognize the file type ?

jonjames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
thanks for all the help people. sure makes me glad to be a part of the macrumors family

Dsync

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
USA
Sounds like you need to start by getting the movie files off of your phone, then you can use a free windows program like "Format Factory" to get the files into the format that you need for Vegas. As far as h.264 in vegas, check sony's website and see if they have put out any updates. But you may have to buy the latest release to get h.264. If you want to do this for free and don't expect a ton of stuff out of your editor, check out the free program called "VideoPad". Also keep in mind that you can get iMovie for your iPhone and edit right from there. Then just transfer the finished video to your computer and then to DVD.

Hope this helps! And let me know if you have any questions!

jonjames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
thanks for your reply. i currently own imovie for iphone which i use for editing on my iphone the reason i want to know how to burn to disc is so that i can take all the videos i used to edit my "short film" onto a disc in raw format, no editing at all. i also know how to get my movies off of the phone but i wanted to burn from the original file if possible so i dont loose any quality, thats why i need a simple program that supports h.264.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
I assume you want the video clips on DVDs that can be played in regular DVD player? Why not burn the video clips onto DVDs as regular files? They may not be playable in regular DVD player but you should be able to view it on your computers.

jonjames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
I assume you want the video clips on DVDs that can be played in regular DVD player? Why not burn the video clips onto DVDs as regular files? They may not be playable in regular DVD player but you should be able to view it on your computers.

my whole purpose is to save these for when my daughter grows up so she can look back. i would like for them to play in regular dvd players but 20 years from now dvd players may not even exist. i dont know what my best best is

kev6677

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Goodluck apple uses .mov files and if you convert to any other format there may be a loss of picture quality.your best bet as the other poster said is simply to copy them to a disc like a backup .Maybe when apple decides
that they have made enough money from us simple video editing folks they will make the process of working with HD video much easier.As for now either you spend hundreds on more apple conversion software or settle for crappy HD video quality.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Goodluck apple uses .mov files and if you convert to any other format there may be a loss of picture quality...
I work with video every day and it doesn't hurt to have multiple formats. Burn a DVD, save originals on disc, save on hard-drive, save on USB stick and leave both in bank vault :) save copies.
There are a lot of options on the PC side. Visit http://www.vcdhelp.com (it'll relink to a diff URL). Very helpfull site for beginners :)

Dsync

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
USA
I think putting them onto external hard drives and then storing them in the bank vault sounds like the best way to go!! Dvds are already being phased out, so imagine where dvds will be in 20 years! External HDDs are the best way to go in my book

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
you shoot the movie in hd yes ?
what you can do is if the final movie is hd and less than 4.7gb then just use a video converter to convert the file type to m2ts then burn this to a dvd it will only play in a blueray player or pc but plays it in hd on either of those

but yea this and or sticking them on a external hard drive sounds best

Philipppa

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Help! How do i burn iPhone 4 videos to dvd

I remember that Apple iDVD software can burn video to a DVD on Mac, but before that you need to transfer iPhone 4 video to your computer with iMedia transfer for Mac. After that, open the iDVD and directly import your video from iPhone 4 to iDVD for burning.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
use mpeg streamclip to convert the movie file to mp4, then burn to dvd, thats a cheap and easy way to do it, not much loss of quality, no ones expecting avatar sequences to be going on, but keep the original files on a HDD and maybe when you have video editing software you can do something nice and proper

NoteburnerDRM

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012

Can your videos play in iTunes correctly? If yes, you can use a program to convert your videos to the DVD format, then use the iDVD to burn them to a DVD.

FYI, if you purchased your videos on your iPhone from iTunes store, then these movies are DRM protected in M4V extension, thus you need a M4V converter to convert them. There are lots of M4V converter, you can google and search one, Noteburner seems to be great. Never tried it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.