Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
As I mentioned in another recent post, I got my iPhone 4 today, and as I live quite a ways out of the city, I had been using the new phone all day after buying it, before syncing it with my computer. I had a text conversation, took a number of pictures and videos, etc. Then I come home, sync it with iTunes and with my backup, and all of that stuff vanishes. How can they give you an activated, functioning phone before you walk out of the store, but not tell you that you have No way of saving anything you do on it pre-iTunes sync?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
It's either they activate it for you and you can use the phone right away or waiting till you go back to your computer and doing the activation from there.

It should have taken a backup from the phone anyway, if I recall I had two backups when I first set the phone up, one from when it was activated and the other from my old 3G.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Vital stuff like new contacts enteres or email can be saved, but not everything.

I don't consider that a software/Apple issue at all. The iPhone/iTunes/backup/restore deal is by far one of my favorite features of the iPhone. I suppose they could come with a "merge" feature for new data with a backup similar to how they handle contacts, but I'm not sure that's really something that's feasible or convenient.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It's either they activate it for you and you can use the phone right away or waiting till you go back to your computer and doing the activation from there.

In the US, they activate the phones in store to AT&T. There is no option to take it home and activate it, like in other countries.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Well, I couldn't have emailed a 10 minute long 720p video clip.

I'm not too upset or anything... I didn't lose much, and that video clip was really lame. I just think it's weird that there was no way for me to get that stuff off the phone before syncing it. Like, I plugged it into iTunes and it gave me the setup screen, and there were three iPhone backups I could choose from to restore it with. One was from March 5th of this year, and one was from April 23rd of this year, and the last one was from yesterday, which was the last time I backed up my old phone. So I obviously restored from that one, and everything was immaculately restored to exactly the way my old phone was at the time of that backup, which is great, but I lost the texting conversations I had on my new phone during the day yesterday, as well as all the pictures and videos I took. :-/

Was there a way to get that stuff onto my computer before doing the backup/restore? Just so I know for the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.