Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hmbalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
San Jose, CA
My iMac will only print in black and white. I can't find any setting to fix the problem. I know it's a computer problem because I have hooked the iMac up to more than one color printer but only prints in black and white. Where else can I look?

ruchiccio

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
New York
is your document in color? there is no place to change this on the mac because the only settings you get for printers is through the actual printer that's connected to your computer.

hmbalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
San Jose, CA
is your document in color? there is no place to change this on the mac because the only settings you get for printers is through the actual printer that's connected to your computer.

Yes. Photos and other work that has color only prints black and white, no matter what printer I use.:confused::confused::confused:

hmbalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
San Jose, CA
What application are you printing from?
What OS version are you using?

Any app. Word, Pages, Ppt, etc.

Screenshot2010-08-13at24830PM.png

Print preview shows color as it should be, but then it prints black and white. I would think it's a printer issue except it happens on multiple printers.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You can tell the printer to print a color page in black & white. Is it possible that this is what is going on? Otherwise, I'm baffled.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
In the Print Dialog box Select "Print Settings from the lowest drop down menu (the one that usually says "Copies & Pages"). Under Print Settings there should be another drop down menu that allows you to select Color or Black & White.

If this was your problem, select Color and any other settings you want and then select Save under the "Presets" drop down menu. Call this preset "Color" save another preset for "Black & White" and you will never have to worry about this again.

robinberson

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
In the Print Dialog box Select "Print Settings from the lowest drop down menu (the one that usually says "Copies & Pages"). Under Print Settings there should be another drop down menu that allows you to select Color or Black & White.

If this was your problem, select Color and any other settings you want and then select Save under the "Presets" drop down menu. Call this preset "Color" save another preset for "Black & White" and you will never have to worry about this again.
I am following this thread with hope and frustration---my old MacBook (10.10) could print color as well as b&w on this printer (HP OfficeJet 8620); I haver a new MacBook (1o.11) and no matter what directions I try to follow, I cannot get it to print color on this printer. I don't see the printer dialog box you describe above. I have no drop-down options for either "Pages" or "Copies." I just reinstalled the printer and that didn't help either. Help?

pwybz

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
new to iMac after 40 years with dos to winX. this is the thread I searched for and see that the latest post was 2017 with no sign of a fix.
I'm running Catalina 10.15.4 and can not print in color. I can do so from my iPad Pro and iPhone.
Apple seems to think I should see things I can't but has no explanation why I can't (not the first problem they could not help with but this is my new #1)

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Do you have the latest drivers for your printer. When you plug in a printer for the first time your Mac identifies your printer, goes to the internet, downloads and installs drivers specific to that printer and that version of the OS. Sometimes when you update the OS the Mac may not check and update those drivers. The print dialogue that comes up when you print something is actually generated by the driver and varies by printer.

See screenshots below. The first is trying to print to a color ink jet. Note the "black & white" button in the oval. The second is printing to a monochrome laser printer. Since it's B&W only there no such option. I think you'll find that you're missing some software that is preventing your Mac from color printing.

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 8.42.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 8.42.56 PM.png

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
new to iMac after 40 years with dos to winX. this is the thread I searched for and see that the latest post was 2017 with no sign of a fix.
I'm running Catalina 10.15.4 and can not print in color. I can do so from my iPad Pro and iPhone.
Apple seems to think I should see things I can't but has no explanation why I can't (not the first problem they could not help with but this is my new #1)

Give us some info on the printer brand and model. Screen shots of dialog boxes help.

The print dialog boxes can vary widely based on the printer drivers, and the application you print from.

pwybz

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
Give us some info on the printer brand and model. Screen shots of dialog boxes help.

The print dialog boxes can vary widely based on the printer drivers, and the application you print from.
thanks for the input. I learned something today. new drivers. printing in color. I like this iMac more than I did yesterday

Reactions: hobowankenobi

pwybz

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
Do you have the latest drivers for your printer. When you plug in a printer for the first time your Mac identifies your printer, goes to the internet, downloads and installs drivers specific to that printer and that version of the OS. Sometimes when you update the OS the Mac may not check and update those drivers. The print dialogue that comes up when you print something is actually generated by the driver and varies by printer.

See screenshots below. The first is trying to print to a color ink jet. Note the "black & white" button in the oval. The second is printing to a monochrome laser printer. Since it's B&W only there no such option. I think you'll find that you're missing some software that is preventing your Mac from color printing.

View attachment 909373
View attachment 909380
fixed! thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.