Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andypop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
I'm confused about the AC adapter that ships with the newer Powerbooks & iBooks.

I have month-old Powerbook that came with a 45-watt adapter. Page 76 in the November issue of Macworld magazine says "current iBooks and Powerbooks ship with a 65-watt AC adapter that powers the machines and recharges the battery. If you've moved up from an iBook (dual USB) or a Titanium Powerbook G4, you can use the older machine's 45-watt adapter as an extra charger for the new Macs, but Apple doesn't recommend it: that wattage is enough to keep you working but not enough to charge the battery at the same time."

I was talking to a friend who has a TiBook and he said his is 65-watts. So does Macworld just have it backwards, or am I mistakingly using an older adapter?

thanks for replying!

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
as far as i know...

all new powerbooks and ibooks (not refurbed) come with a 65 watt charger.

check the product number and see if it matches what the invoice says (or technical documents?)

call Apple perhaps? or wherever you purchased as well?

andypop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
I'm one of the people who was having a problem with the green (charged) light pulsing if the adapter was unplugged/replugged while the powerbook was asleep.

I called Apple, and after a few calls, they decided to replace my adapter -- they sent me another 45-watt adapter, and it still does it.

Are you absolutely sure all Powerbooks (even the 12" model) are shipped with a 65-watt adapter? If so, I'm thinking that might be the cause of my pulsing light.

btw, my Powerbook is 1 month old -- how long have they been shipping with 65-watt adapters?

andypop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
figured it out..

the 15 & 17 inch models come with a 65-watt adapter. The 12" models still use the 45-watt.

thanks though.

yakisoba

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2004
12" PB question

I have both a 15" and 12" PB. The 15 has the 65W adapter and the 12" has the 45W adapter. The 65W adapter also puts out half a volt more. Obviously, I wouldn't expect the 45W to run and charge the 15" PB very well. But, although I have labeled the adapters and am pretty careful about things, I can see someday accidentally plugging the 65W into the 12" PB. Will that be a problem? Am I going to toast anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.