Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lobster512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Hi all,

I want to venture into the world of SSH. This is my very first iPhone and I'm so glad I decided to jailbreak. All of the customization and shortcuts I miss coming from a BB I can now have on this phone. In my opinion, makes it 100 times better than an unjailbroken phone.

So far, I've just been using Winterboard and Cydia, but I keep reading about SSH and negative things about Winterboard, Cydia and Rock. So, I just have a few questions.

1. What is SSH exactly?

2. How does using SSH versus Cydia and Winterboard affect memory and battery life?

3. For apps like InfoLock and SBSettings, would you still have to use cydia, or can you just "SSH" those apps into your phone? Or is SSH reserved only for theme aspects of the phone?

4. I've read that Cyberduck is a good program to use, or would you recommend something else?

Sorry if any of the questions are confusing. I've also tried to find a good how to website for beginners in the SSH world, but haven't come up with any good ones. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Here you will find most of your answer:

http://www.simonblog.com/2009/05/17/how-to-use-ssh-to-transfer-file-on-iphone/

also quick search in the forum will bring you some of the common question for starters

As a side note, I personally try to avoid SSH as much as i can, even when I used it everyday it just an un-necessary resource running on my iPhone for me, I use iPhoneDisk and iPhone Explorer type of program than no required SSH, they just mount the File system locally like it would be external Hard drive.

Hope it help.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
1) A method of transferring files to/from your jailbroken iPhone

2) It doesn't

3) You can do either

4) I use Cyberduck, no complaints

5) Google some tutorials

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
Use DiskAid and forget about SSH....

+10 I have never been able to figure out why people use SSH (other than for running terminal commands) when USB is faster and waaaay easier (and technically safer as you don't deal with the SSH security issues...

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
I have never been able to figure out why people use SSH
The day your iDevice gets stuck in a respring loop, and you can't afford to restore, you'll wish you had SSH access. I sure was happy to have it when I was messing with the wife's iPad. Issued a reboot command and all was well. :)
As far as security issues go, changing the passwords takes 10 seconds to do.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
The day your iDevice gets stuck in a respring loop, and you can't afford to restore, you'll wish you had SSH access. I sure was happy to have it when I was messing with the wife's iPad. Issued a reboot command and all was well. :)
As far as security issues go, changing the passwords takes 10 seconds to do.

Oh, I understand that type of use. But for just moving files around and such, SSH is far more inconvenient compared to USB

Abby6497

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Ashland, Ohio
Oh, I understand that type of use. But for just moving files around and such, SSH is far more inconvenient compared to USB

Ok this is probably a really stupid question but I'm also new to all of this. I have used iFile to add a homescreen and battery percentage on my 3G running 4.0.1 is that what SSH means? Sorry if this is a stupid question...lol

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
Ok this is probably a really stupid question but I'm also new to all of this. I have used iFile to add a homescreen and battery percentage on my 3G running 4.0.1 is that what SSH means? Sorry if this is a stupid question...lol

Im not familiar with that program. Was your phone connected to your computer wirelessly or via a USB cable.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

iFile is a File Manager, like Explorer for Windows, and Finder on OSx, it allow you to "manage" all the files in your file system.

SSH is a Network Protrocol, secure shell to connect multiple devices using a network connection.

You can check the link I posted above for more detail.

SSH stands for secure shell that is commonly used in Unix/Linux environment. You can use SSH to access a remote a computer and execute commands from another machine that may be miles away. Additionally, you can use it to transfer files to the remote computer, just like FTP. I’m not going to dig deep and throw out all the technical details about SSH. But just remember, SSH is a tool that lets you access machine or devices remotely. Here, the device is your iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.