Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I have a Macintosh IIci, running 7.6 with a special Mac to VGA adapter so I can use it on MultiSync (modern) screens. The Mac starts up fine but after about 5-10 minutes the Mac turns itself off, when you turn it on again in a half a minute the machine turns off. Then if you try and turn it on again it will only be on for a few moments. I'm guessing I need a new power supply. I just want to confirm this before I buy anything.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
IIci

Not sure if this will help, but will offer anyway.. I have a complete machine (boots fine) IIci. How about $15 + shipping? (USPS)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
RGunner said:
Not sure if this will help, but will offer anyway.. I have a complete machine (boots fine) IIci. How about $15 + shipping? (USPS)

Thanks for the offer but I don't know. I have over 35 old Macs, I don't need to buy anymore, my machine works fine but I believe the power supply is going or is by now dead. I can get a power supply for $8 on eBay with $12 shipping though, or I can find them similarly priced around the web. But just for the heck of it (or if I change my mind) what are the specs of your machine? Mine are below. I also have a Macintosh IIcx, I can see if that power supply works in the IIci (which it should) but I dunno if that one is dead also.

Macintosh IIci's Specs:
Raster Ops TrueColor Nubus Card
Numbus Ethernet Card
Macintosh IIci Cache Card
12mb RAM (or more I forget)
500mb HD - OS 7.6

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Sorry I couldn't understand that too well.

I'll try and reset the PRAM tomorrow, I believe it is the power supply. I mean why else would the Mac just shut off when your in the middle of something (not always the same activity)...

I'll start shopping for one, or maybe does anyone have a Power Supply for a IIcx/IIci/Quadra 700 (which seem to be all the same), a complete computer is nice but I don't know,........maybe.

:confused:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
aafuss1 said:
Try eBay or a computer store that sells second hand Mac parts.

And here's the service manual that shows you how to replace and install the IIci/Q700 PSU:
http://whoopis.com/computer_repair/ Quadra_700_Macintosh_#C58A5.pdf

Thanks! I forgot that I'd probably have to figure out how to move things around and take things apart. I see that the Power Supplies are only $7-9 but the shipping is usually $10-12, so Looks like I'll have to pay around $20 for one of them...meh

keep the replies commin'! :D

Pedro Estarque

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Performa 630 CD

If anyone has a Performa 630 CD or compatible power supply and willing to ship it to Brasil, please let me know. sorry to burst in to the topic but my old mac has the same problem and I thought the title of this topic would gather classic macusers willing to sell power supplies

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Pedro Estarque said:
If anyone has a Performa 630 CD or compatible power supply and willing to ship it to Brasil, please let me know. sorry to burst in to the topic but my old mac has the same problem and I thought the title of this topic would gather classic macusers willing to sell power supplies

Here yah go buddy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4607&item=5118811922

The seller also has a great eBay store with tons of old Mac goodies, I ordered from them before, very good seller.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
well...

Macs R Us said:
Well, I really would try simply things before wasting money on a new PS... But if you do be sure to get on in a Apple Service Part Box or Seal stright from Apple... So that way there no problems...

Too bad a power supply from 1988 is pretty hard to find brand new in a box at one of the new Apple Stores, hehe. :rolleyes:

I found one on eBay from a seller I have bought items from before. If I can't find a better deal I'll just buy it there. Ye Old Mac Milt saves the day again! :eek: :)

Well I keep about 300-450 Apple Service parts hany just in case but yeah "olde-mac-milt", has been know to save the day for me a lot too...

LimeiBook86 said:
Too bad a power supply from 1988 is pretty hard to find brand new in a box at one of the new Apple Stores, hehe. :rolleyes:

I found one on eBay from a seller I have bought items from before. If I can't find a better deal I'll just buy it there. Ye Old Mac Milt saves the day again! :eek: :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Macs R Us said:
Well I keep about 300-450 Apple Service parts hany just in case but yeah "olde-mac-milt", has been know to save the day for me a lot too...
Thats a lot of parts!! You wouldn't happen to have a IIci/cx/Quadra 700 Power Supply lying around now would you? ;) I have my share of parts too but they aren't in a boxes or anything... :p

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
IIci

The one that is here is a basic stock system. I believe 64 mb ram (might be 128, would have to fire up), 80mb drive and good floppy.

Case is overall in excellent condition, I think one or two of the simm socket clips are bent / broken, but it still hold the memory in place.

I would just prefer to sell the whole thing, but if you want only the PSU, I suppose we can work something out.

Not available today on AIM / Aol but will open it up tonight / this weekend and we can chat.

Rob

General Comments on Old Macs

I can not help the originator of the thread, except to say that unless this machine in particular is of some special value, I'd just ditch it or buy the replacement offered here for $15. I mean, you're not completely sure that the $5 more you'll spend for the PS is going to fix the problem anyway.

On a more general note, I got an old IIcx which hasn't been booted up since I got my B&W G3 in mid-1999. I've been holding on to it for nostalgic reasons, but when I saw Sonnet's 040 upgrade cards for earlier Macs, one that would help this bad boy run 8.6, I began to think that maybe this old fella old get some more use. Although for what, I'm not sure. Just a geeky project I guess. But I really liked 8.6, and I may find some uses for it that would take up too much time on my less-ancient B&W. (God knows I'd love to get a new G5, but financial realities are keeping that from happening.)

EminenceGrise

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
There is also the possibility that it is the logic board - the IIci is a soft-power model, meaning that the logic board contains the on/off switch logic for the power supply (this is also why you can use the power key on the keyboard to turn the computer on and off).

The power supply is really easy to replace - you just open the cover and pull out the supply (I think there is a plastic clip to release, but that's about it, not even any screws (except the one for the cover, if it's even installed)) - then just slide in the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.